Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Interesting move by Shels to propose buying Tolka, but I'd love to see how they could possibly afford it. The only way it's possible is if they've proposed buying it at a price far lower than the market value.

The cynic in me suggests it's more of a PR move designed to fail, so that in future they can claim they tried to buy Tolka but the council refused, and only for that everything would be OK. I'm reminded of those cases where people took out huge mortgages and subsequently couldn't repay, but in statements to the media they try to gain sympathy by claiming they made a "reasonable offer" to the bank. Then when the case reaches the courts it turns out the "reasonable offer" involved the bank writing off 90% of the debt and the mortgagee paying €100 a month for the next 60 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Harps, if they ever move, would be mad to even consider a grass pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

What a display from Cork City last night. Haven't seen ruthlessness like that since we won the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We never looked like scoring more than a goal in a game last season.

Last night was best performance since league winning season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anyone listen to the League of Ireland Late Night phone in thing Off The Ball did on Twitter Spaces?

Johnny Ward seems like good craic and I love LOI Central but i'd say you would tear your hair out trying to work with him. Trying to give his opinion on the matches on the bus and then I'm assuming while he was walking home was just really amateurish

It reminds me why phone ins are dead though. Didn't make for a good listen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

A disaster, would have been close to a sell out. Two away games against Pats and Derry before we play this game, most likely midweek where we`ll do well to get half the crowd we would have gotten tonight.

Longford's cancellation tonight means their first game of the season will be Cork City at home in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Liked it too. We need more LOI engagement from the likes of OTB. Otherwise you waiting until Wednesday to hear what the week's podcasts made of the weekend. It can definitely be improved, the OTB LOI budget could surely cover getting all matches on LOITV - none of the hosts had seen anything from the Derry / Dundalk game & not sure if they had seen the Rovers / UCD game either. €14 would have covered them for the 3 games this weekend.

But it's definitely a good addition & something I'll listen to each week (the recording is available as a podcast on OTB app)

Dan Lambert tweeted that over a 1,000 Bohs fans had planned to travel to game. Would have been a cracking crowd & atmosphere for game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This feels very reactionary. It’s only one (very bad) game.

That’s not a lad who I’d be taking too seriously on anything. Serious hype merchant.

Shels were embarrassing vs Cork City last week. I said it after that game, Pats will batter em. They’ve no system, can’t cope with the press and spent the whole night screaming at each other.

It was a friendly though, and 1 league game. I obviously wasn’t pleased with what I saw either but there’s a long way to go. 2 big games away to Harps and UCD coming up next so hopefully we can put it right quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kerrigan for UCD was very good against Rovers. Will cause trouble for a lot of teams this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I agree.

Before the goal against pats, shels looked really good. Pats were struggling and then got an excellent long range goal out of nothing, from a Shels mistake and the game changed. Pats got a shot in the arm but they could sit back if they wanted and pick off shels at times.

what’s the crack with st pats long range shooting? They could of had another belter in the second half to go with their two long range goals!

I think the key may end up being players keeping the faith in Duff and what he’s trying to do. They’ve just been promoted, have a a lot of changes including the way the team played to get promoted. It’s going to take time before they bed into the system.

I hope they can pick up points away to Drogheda and U.C.D. , cause two defeats there and things really start to get tough. 3 games in a week might be the best (or worst) thing for them, the Drogheda game could set the tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

It's not reactionary to asses the opening season performance on inevitable comparisons between last seasons FD title winning squad and an almost brand new squad, before Friday night I was of opinion the squad is not improved with the exception that the players are now training full-time and are still young which may reap benefits as the season progresses

Duff has his work cut-out for him but knows the task he signed up for, this is a young developmental squad that will have a celling of 7th spot while under massive pressure to avoid the dreaded 9th/10th sports

Shels didn’t exactly hit the ground running in the FD last season. There were great concerns after a few games near the start.

Mid table is prob the most realistic expectation for this season. I actually did think there were some good signs against pats. Didn’t feel like a 3-0 game. Goal disallowed and prob should of had at least one goal in the first 20 mins. Pats didn’t look comfortable at all being closed down with the intensity at the start, the goal really did flip the game on its head.

I thought Dervin looked busy and didn’t let the occasion get to him. Was he tiring as I wasn’t sure why he was taken off! Also, the pats keeper looked massive, looks handy enough, he made a really good save in 2nd half.

Many of those players were young and prob never played on front of as big a crowd and on live tv. A lot of pressure and I’m hoping conceding the goal when they were playing well was just too much on the day.

Thats what I’m banking on, that as the season goes on, players will settle into their roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Looks like Shels have had US investment . Makes sense with so much optimism around saving Tolka at the weekend .

The league needs all the money it can get so that’s obviously a positive, just hope it’s no a Peak 6 job and out the door as quick with no long term benefits

btw is it possible if even legal for the fai or league to put a rule in place that a % of any money invested in clubs goes into facilities, youth structure etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Reading the Sunday Times this morning it's a seven figure sum being invested on while on a minority basis, if this is linked to the funding to keep and redevelop Tolka then this would be a brilliant development for the club and the league and more tangible than the Peak6 type of investment.

• Advertisement

It absolutely is reactionary to be drawing any meaningful conclusions from 1 game. We will have excellent performances this season and we will have terrible ones, similar to every team in pretty much any division. Duff will ultimately be judged on the quantity of each, and this game was a bad start in that regard, but there is 2 next week for him to start putting that right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Honestly didn’t think Shels were that bad on Friday. They started well, and had a couple of good opportunities through the game. Pats were obviously comfortable winners in the end, but I’m not sure what you were expecting. Newly promoted side against last seasons runner up and cup winners, it’s not surprising that the was a gap in quality, and that’s what told in the end. Giving away two soft goals didn’t help either. Burns finish was superb, but he got a gift of an assist, and I though the keeper was poor for the second goal, which again came from giving the ball away.

We played some nice football at times, but you can’t give the ball away in dangerous areas as many times as we did and still be in any way satisfied with your performance. There’s been a lot of talk about how it was Pats and the quality in their team, but I think if we make that quantity of individual error against Drogheda and UCD next week, it’ll be the same outcome.

But I’m sure that will be something that Duff will be done emphasising and working on all week now, so hopefully we can start our season off properly on Friday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Watched a bit of the highlights show earlier and it was good. The highlights were far more extensive than anything we've had before simply due to the fact there's no time constraints on it. I'll watch the rest later.

Beautiful goal by McGlade for his hattrick the other night in the Cork win.

Just finished it now. Excellent show, extensive highlights and analysis of the games. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

excellent show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Could be a condition of getting a licence. There'd still be loads of ways around it though. Most clubs would be spending a fair bit on maintaining their grounds at their current poor level and trying to stop them getting worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭deisedude

Heading to the Cork City Galway game on Friday night. Where are best places to park? Conscious the rugby is on down the road at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Where would be a safe place to park your car near the Derry city stadium? southern reg car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Treaty game off due to pitch . Seen a few pics of their ground . But of a shambles really

I thought the analysis went on a bit. Dundalk/Derry had 11 minutes of highlights and 12 minutes of analysis. Shams/UCD had 10 minutes of highlights and 11 minutes of analysis.

Overall it's a good show but the analysis could do with being cut down a bit. It's possible it will be and they filled out the show this week with my analysis since there was only 3 PD games played.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Derry is a majority nationalist city.

I parked on the streets near the ground last year with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd say there's less fiction in the Ross O'Carroll-Kelly books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

He was on Tales from the East Stand (Rovers podcast) there during the week. An entertaining listen but very hard to take anything he said seriously. Would love to know if anything he said was true at all.

• Advertisement

For Drogheda games, where is the entrance for away supporters or is it at the entrance beside the hospital?

Also, where is a good place to park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Entrance is at the clubhouse across from the hospital.

Thete is (paid) large HSE carpark on the Crosslanes (near the home terrace) that would be best if you dont know the area.

I’m bringing my son, I presume there shouldn’t be any trouble if we have shels Color’s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The LEDP must have thought it was beach football Treaty were playing this season. It's why the Waterford game in the Munster senior was moved to UL. Never had issues like that when Limerick had someone who was allowed look after the pitch but the LEDP put a stop to that and started doing it themselves.

Poor game in United Park.

Drogheda finding it hard to break down a 10 man Shels defence.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Great win for us down in Cork tonight. Down to 10 men after the break but we hung on and got our season off to a great start.

That was very satisfying win. Get in shels….

Disappointing result in Drogheda.

We didn't deserve to lose nor win. Neither did Shels. But a mistake decided the game so fair play Shels.

Coyle scores a second with a minute to go and starts celebrating in front of the home fans. Not the ultras but the oul fellas and kids. A few of his teamates join in badge pointing etc. A bit un-necessary.

We had players missing but have to play better. First blood to Shels in the bottom four mini-league.

Yeh, was wondering why he didn’t run over to us as we were on the other side of pitch!

Fair play to the Drogheda fans for singing for the whole game. They made some noise throughout.

That said , it was Disappointing to hear the “f*ck Tolka park” chants from them as my son asked me what they were singing. It was his first shels away game, but these things happen, you do here some sh*te at games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fantastic finish to the game at the Brandywell tonight, some finish by McGonigle.

Thought a draw would have been a fair result, but I'll take that. Rare mistake by Lopez.

Shameful scenes from fans invading the pitch, and some disturbances outside the ground too. Not what we want to be seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Disappointing result for us in Richmond. Could have got a last minute equaliser but tbh we were poor for most of that match. Defence in particular was shaky and Burns and Abankwah had their worst match for us. Sligo were good for the 1st half and were dangerous on the counter in the 2nd until we scored. Ref was bad, seemed to allow McGinley take as long as he wanted for goal kicks.

Delighted to start with a win away to Pats. Keena was superb the way he led the line and I think his shot was going in whether the defender blocked it or not. McDonnell's cross for the first was a thing of beauty.

Could have been 3-0 at HT with Keena hitting the bar and another chance being cleared off the line. Pats were much better in the 2H, especially when Tunde came on. That guy gives me nightmares.

Thought we deserved the win and would have felt hard done by if Pats robbed a point at the end, especially if that corner given wasn't actually a corner. Haven't watched it back though.

LOITV showed the 1H goals from the Bohs/Dundalk game at HT which was a nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are you for the Brandywell on Monday night @Oat23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

In his defense, the ref did add about 90 seconds extra on at the end. Probably still didn't make up for the full extent of it all the same.

As you said we were much the better in the first half, but tired in the second half and got very nervy after the Owolabi goal. Not sure how we held on in the end but overall I felt we probably deserved it. Good crowd and a decent game too with plenty of chances on both sides.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement