Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

(what i assume are) air raid sirens being sounded in Kyiv in the last few mins

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

France seem to be playing both sides well. The honest broker with Putin and now a promise of "defensive materials" to Ukraine, budgetary assistance of up to €300m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

I agree entirely. It would respond and it must.

And for NATO not to respond would result in the US handing over its current position of being the only superpower to an as yet unformed European Alliance. If the US NATO abandons an Eastern European NATO member, European NATO will go it alone.

The US do NOT want a rival military alliance on the planet which they do not control even if it were a friendly one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

One of those helicoptors is shadowing an unregistered aircraft as well, im not sure if they took off from the border or if they just turned on the transmitter there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

But they can’t do anything!

If NATO get involved to protect Ukraine the end game is nuclear war.

• Advertisement

Shows that Putin only understands one language,Power

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What if America believes it faces a choice between honouring its NATO treaty obligations and nuclear war?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They would absolutely have to straight off, the US are the superpower of NATO.

• Advertisement

I remember during the impeachment hearings for Trump that all those talking about Trump withholding funds pronounced it the Ukranian way, not Russian way.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Fair play to him atleast his not a coward and lead his country to the very end, more bottle than the likes of Biden and Borris anyway.

There's no evidence that China is sanctioning Russia over Ukraine.

A European military is no direct threat to the US... Just as European forces alone aren't much of a threat to Russia. Europe lacks force projection for the kind of hardware needed to combat a Russian incursion. It would be different if Europe had weeks to prepare, but even then, European militaries are fragmented. Europe needs US forces to be the glue that keeps them together. The concern would the decline in influence the US has over European nations if Europe went alone, as it would likely mean closer ties with Russia/China, rather than the US, resulting in issues over trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Most OSINT sites are now down. Live UA Map is down and so is OSINT Ukraine twitter feeds. Either a Cyber attack or Twitter is getting bullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The locals don't seem so interested in the comradeship on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

Bombing Russian cities is not a good idea at this point as it will turn any sentiment of support for Ukraine completely 180 degrees to the point where Russians will say, let them burn. That is for another time. Every citizen should arm themselves as much as possible and try to kill as many Russians as possible. Small hit and run militias are the order of the day. Women (who don't want to fight) and children should be evacuated to as far from the frontline as possible. Hundreds or thousands of dead russians will rock this back on it heals quickly. The US, EU and Britain should be flooding the country with arms.

I fear that if he blitzes through Ukraine quickly that he will immediately turn his attention to the Baltics and then we enter a completely different ball game.

Why?

There is no indication that a conventional war fought over Ukraine territory wouldn't happen. The only real risk is if the war escalated to involve the invasion of Russian territory by NATO forces, and even then, it's unlikely that nukes would be used.

It's far more likely that there would be a conventional conflict, followed up by negotiations and a settlement without anything really changing. A white peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Such irony in posters suggesting Biden & the US should involve themselves in a war with Russia.

Rather than trying to stop the current invasion with economic sanctions, as most nations are doing, many want "boots on the ground", of course resulting in more bloodshed.

I'm also not sure could Ukraine be considered a "peaceful nation". It's had a very fractious few decades as a country, even as recent as the 2010's.

• Advertisement

As was suggested a slurry tank and its pipe respects no borders and I'm quite enamoured with the idea of releasing slurry on to the grounds of the Embassy over the wall. If I were to do it I'd use the ripest geese or duck slurry available for maximum efficacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Desperate times call for desperate measures. More than a few of these weapons will eventually wind up here I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's an interesting one , my internet is intermittent so I only managed to get on to see the two helicopters moving off from the border before my internet crashed again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

Wonder how much damage this group can do and how russia will respond:

The hacker group Anonymous has said it is “officially in cyber war against the Russian government” reports the Guardian’s global technology editor Dan Milmo.

The statement in a tweet thread came as several Russian government websites such as the Kremlin and the Duma, as well as the state-backed RT news site (formerly Russia Today), were hit by so-called distributed denial of service attacks.

In a DDoS, a website is deluged with spurious requests for information – akin to stuffing a thousand envelopes through a letterbox every second – that render the site unreachable.

According to Craig Terron, a senior analyst at Recorded Future, which monitors cyber-threats, the RT site remained “intermittently available” today, having gone down at 5pm (2pm GMT) Moscow time on Thursday.

The website is intermittently available, with continued reports of users unable to access the website, as of 1330 Moscow time on 25 February.

RT said it had been “able to repel” the hit on its servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If it came to that, then the US would honour their NATO obligations with conventional warfare same as Russians, and no nukes would be fired until someone blinks.

Firing even one nuclear weapon against a nuclear power means you both lose massively, at least in conventional warfare theres the possibility of a stalemate of sorts. If somehow NATO - Russia ended up at war (incredibly unlikely), it would probably be limited in scope because the moment someone uses nuclear weapons it is game over for both. To be honest its not even worth discussing because its not going to happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

it's been happening all morning, most reporting Russian troop movements were getting reported, so posts were behind the mature filter initially, looks like they've ramped up with whatever complaints results in an automatic take down for review by twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

There have been multiple multi-volume academic treatises written about Russian & soviet history. I can barely scratch the surface, but what it boils down to is that the Russian empire was a conglomerate out of duchies, principalities, provinces, feudal allegiances and similar structures. These were held together basically by brute force and a Russian-born nobility that in most cases repressed any local non-Russian identities with eye-watering violence.

When the 1917 revolutions kicked off, many of these territories decided to go their own way, including Ukraine, the Baltic States, numerous territories in the Caucasus and Central Asia and Poland. This was not structured in any way and mixed in with the Russian Civil war, a bloody affair that makes the 1990s Balkan wars seem like a gentlemanly duel. As the Bolsheviks began to consolidate their forces and started moving agains the "monarchist" White Russian Forces that were often supported by western military forces, these newly independent states were brought "back into the fold", with brute force and eye-watering violence, before being reformed as soviet republics within the USSR. One of the consequences of this was years of brutal repression & famine in Ukraine during the 1920 and nowadays, this "Holodomor" is widely considered a genocide against Ukrainians.

Only a few countries managed to keep their independence in the interwar years, including Finland, the Baltic States and Poland and many of those had to fight for their independence, with the Polish Soviet War of the early 1920s in particular being almost on the scale of the battles on the Eastern Front during the Great War. The next great redrawing of the borders came during World War 2. The Molotov Ribbentrop pact saw Poland and the Baltic States carved up between the USSR and Nazi Germany, while Ukraine suffered terribly during the war, being one of the main battlegrounds during the German attack on the USSR. Some of the largest battles on the Eastern Front took place on Ukrainian soil. A lot of Ukrainians also saw the war as a good opportunity to rise up against the soviets, which resulted in mass deportations after the war. Entire ethnicities were uprooted and sent to Siberia.

After the war, and the death of Stalin, things got easier. Local languages were tolerated to a certain degree, as were local history and customs, in a radical departure from several hundred years of precedent, though that ended when Brezhnev took power. It was also during this time when Krushchev ordered the reallocation of Crimea to Ukraine. It had been considered part of another Soviet republic previously if I remember correctly. When the USSR finally crumbled in 91, many of these independent-then-annexed soviet republics decided to go independent once and for all, which leads us to the current situation.

Now, this overview is extremely brief and high level, I highly recommend both reading and catching up on this. The YouTube channels THe Great War, TimeGhost History and The Cold War have multiple 20-45 minute videos on this whole range of topics, while Drachinifel, an EXCELLENT naval history channel, has a very in-depth video on the Naval campaigns in the Baltic during the Russian Civil war. Even they aren't able to go into too much detail as the whole topic is extremely layered and complex!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

No one knows.

Look at how the two world wars of last century started.

The invasion of the Ukraine doesn't prove that Putin would gamble on invading a NATO country. It also doesn't prove that he wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Advertisement

Would also drive down house prices in Rathgar, which would ease pressure on the housing market. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement