Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see Richmond jumping on the bandwagon. Must sense the way the wind is blowing

https://twitter.com/nealerichmond/status/1497247559114530871?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I am very impressed with the Ukrainians fighting back, but have to be careful not to get too carried away with reports of Ukrainians destroying Russian armor/etc, unfortunately the Ukrainians need to keep up morale, so a bit of propaganda is expected. They are also up against a superpower with an exponentially stronger military who have been training for this for years, Russian equipment, tactics, etc are tailor-made for this kind of conflict - and there's an endless flow of them coming from all sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

18,000 AKs will shred the Russian invaders for years to come, interloping is wrong!

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Delta Air Lines is ending its partnership with Russian airline Aeroflot 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Looks like they arent as professional as they are consistently made out to be. Packed to the brim with young poor conscripts. Sat around in the cold for months in the run up to this.

They have special units obviously but I think people are over stating their wider prowess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

I suspect he is just there for motivation and speeches so it isn't like his command will be missed and he can be used as a matyr pretty easily by the rest of the Ukrainian leadership. This isn't a knock, I just suspect most decisions are being made by the military at this point or those with military experience.

As for the practicals of rolling over or keep fighting. It is not ideal that it is that way but the best way to convince Russia not to keep invading places is to make them suffer. Already, even if the Ukranian figures are doubling the losses, the losses on the Russian side seem pretty high. The have masses of manpower but it will encourage other countries that they can bring out a large butcher's price on Russia if they invade.

Not to take sides with Putin but some of the groups defending Ukraine indeed are neo-nazis. CIA have been training and funding insurgent leaders in Ukraine since 2015. The language of the congressional aid bill for this program originally barred them from training or funding neo-nazi groups such as Centuria or the Azov Battalion (a right-wing group who are officially part of Ukraines national guard). The language prohibiting the funding of neo-nazis was subsequently removed from the bill under pressure from the Pentagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Lay off the playstation I would say. Call of duty scenario won't solve this

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Personally i believe the moral course of action in our world would be to protect Ukraine and send in the European and US fighter jets and blow the f**king Russians out of it.

I suppose that's my emotional reaction given i trained with some Ukraine's a few years ago and the guys i knew were some of the funniest and warn people i have ever met.

My more logical side has at least expectations that ALL POSSIBLE SANCTIONS regardless of our own cost are IMMEDIATELY placed on Russia, and all possible support immediately given to Ukraine.

If we fail the Ukraine, we fail to uphold the rule of law and we open up the opportunity for more terror.

Pressure needs to be placed on governments by its people, and maybe #standwithukraine means little but that hashtag and the protests together mean a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

'The headline in Reuters (usually considered a fairly balanced news source) read "War in Europe" which hasn't been really the case since WW2'

Is it worse than the Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968, which it sort of resembles, or the war in the Balkans in the 1990s?

There was also the Turkish invasion of Cyprus, and the Greek civil war.

It doesn't seem to me that wars in Europe are as rare as they're made out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Russia's main strength here is the weight of numbers. They can just grind down opposition - at great cost in manpower and equipment yes, but Putin doesn't care about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't agree with this for one reason...

It's a one off 'feel better' approach but once done and forgotten the govt can no longer put forward views to the Russian govt. They'll probably simply expell our ambassador in Moscow too.

It's the same simplistic approach as left takes with the Israeli ambassador. Achieves nothing.

It only leaves you no one to talk to and ultimately that's you in the worse position in the end

How/where have I been constantly calling other posters ignorant? Care you quote me doing so? yeah, I didn't think so. Just as you're welcome to point out the supposed mudslinging? Nor have I declared myself an expert, beyond voicing my opinion on the topic.

The gas thing is that you've just done what you've accused me of doing. Sweet sweet Irony.

Also, I did argue against your point(s)... but I'll leave it there since you're obviously in no mood to discuss things, and just want to play a self-appointed victim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Was an old man driving. People are asking about war crimes. Here's a perfect example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

If someone got caught between Harry & Meghan and a passing bandwagon they'd end up in a critical condition.

If the historical boundaries of Europe are threatened, I'm entirely confident that European nations will commit to their defence. Ukraine is far removed from Europe... it's not as if there's ever been any meaningful relationship throughout history, with the last decade been more suited to tentative negotiations than any real relationship. Any EU nation will get the same attention from Europe..

And yes, Europe will turn to the US for protection, because they've never really invested in their own military. Until that changes, Europes ability to project force is severely limited.

I don't disagree, but it's only one and a half days into the conflict, invasion of the largest country in Europe, 44 mm people and relatively prepared. However in terms of Russian military vs Ukrainian military, it's disgustingly lopsided. The Ukrainians are holding exceptionally well given the circumstances.

1968 was the USSR and except for a Greek junta ordering a coup that encouraged the Turks to invade the rest are internecine wars and not pan-European.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I have two Ukrainian female friends who evacuated Kiev early this morning fleeing from the Metro station where they spent the night, they are extrmely worried about Russian war rape and are fleeing for their lives. Currently they are stuck in huge traffic jams headed west towards the Hungarian and Romanian frontier on the E583 road and it is like something out of the Apocalypse, the Russians are now threatening to blow up Chernobyl they have heard. Russian Helicopters have strafed fleeing vehicles also and they are heavily dependent on social media sources.

This girl and her sister are thinking to fly to Ireland out of either Bucharest or Budapest if they can cross to safety as we have lifted visa restrictions. They are concerned they would need to stay here for 10 years!? I don't think it is the case? Can anyone advise? As far as I know now then people in Asylum get PPS numbers and are even allowed work. They want to return to Ukraine as soon as it is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Appears china are sanction compliant. Hardly in the pocket of Putins alliances

• Registered Users Posts: 24,356 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Human nature hasn't changed. And it's more than likely that appeasing strong men as they indulge their expansionist agendas gets the same result it always has.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Right but what makes WW2 a natural comparison and the invasion of Czechoslovakia an inappropriate comparison? This invasion of Ukraine isn't a pan-European conflict either and it doesn't look like turning into one.

The occupants of that vehicle are said to be deceased, summary justice or suchlike.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Russia now warning Finland and Sweden of consequences if they join NATO....

Reports that now a Japanese ship hit by missile now off Odessa

I think you are correct that most of us are ignorant of how to objectively compare now with Nazi occupied Germany, even writing this post (that is not tongue in cheek) I admit to have a very limited knowledge on this.

Jesus, **** Christ. I give up. Posters here are unable to avoid reading between the lines.

This is what I said:

Really wish posters would stop these comparisons, because it simply shows your ignorance of how things have changed in the world. These situations are entirely different.

Which was a response to a posters comment about the policy of appeasement by European powers prior to the invasion of Poland.

Nah.. lets continually take it out of context to push other arguments entirely. Forget it. I'm done with this shitshow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement