Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Could find himself in a deal of legal trouble when all this is done and dusted.

Not something I'd considered or come across much. Met a few Russians, some who hated Putin, some who love Russia, some in both camps, some in neither.

I'd never considered there were a huge amount of secret Russians though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The United States administration has announced that Putin himself will be sanctioned including travel ban

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

How safe is our money in Revolut now? I have been using the savings vaults

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just popped to the shop. Wembley stadium is decked out in blue and yellow.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Indeed- used to go to one as my barber. Think she was “Latvian” but remember in 2014 she was saying her brother was giving out about the euro- gave them the game away as to her background. Funnily enough she didn’t take the opportunity to migrate east. I wonder why.

The Russians planted Eastern Europe with their own lot to tip the balance of loyalty towards Mockba. A cancer that still exists to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Look, we need to be serious about "European" military capability. Firstly, there is not a Europe. There is dozens of independent states with different national interests. Some in the EU. Some in NATO. Some not. Secondly, most European militaries are parade ground armies or otherwise focused on wars of choice against lightly armed militias in Africa or the Middle East.. The British and French are the most capable, but neither is built to fight an armoured conflict against Russia. The reality is the European militaries would take months to pull together deployable brigades, let alone divisions. Whereas the Russians regularly carry out military exercises involving over 100,000 troops and their equipment.

Sure, on paper "Europe" has more economic power, more manpower and more equipment in total. But Russia can act today - whereas it will take months or years for "Europe" to summon the political will or power to contest the Russian action. Availability is ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Yes that's the way I think of it too as chilling as putins warning was . Who would have the balls and stupidity to carry out an order to start using nukes? Surely the military would say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think he moved it out of Germany a few weeks back... Shame

Putin says that the Ukrainian military should seize power against Zelensky.

Seems like ideal advice for Russian generals to take against Putin himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

Completely agree. Russia should be treated as a complete pariah. No money in, no people out unless they are not from Russia, no flights, no trains, no comms, no phones, no trade (the Italians should be flogged for the BS they pulled on designer clobber. Keeping Putins cronies in their finery should n't even have been considered).

The Russian people should be told that for every day that their country remains in Ukraine the sanctions will extend by 1 month. You can choose Putin or you can choose sanctions. If you're still there in a month you can look forward to 3yrs of crippling sanctions. We'll see if Putin survives when the choice is that stark.

@sand . Whereas the Russians regularly carry out military exercises involving over 100,000 troops and their equipment.

So does nato .

Which the majority of European countries are part of with a few exceptions but regularly train with nato forces and use the same equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

True. But it would only take one launch crew to go through with it for all hell to break loose. Especially since, as has been discussed on this thread if I remember correctly, nuclear release rules in the Russian forces, at least for the tactical weapons, aren't as strict as they are in the west.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

I think it would be pretty safe Irish accounts are based in Lithuania.

It would make a nice floating bonfire 🔥

(No refunds if anyone is offended)

Also should go full on cyber attack on them (US plan could be extremely effective) have to really turn the Russians against Putin and this invasion

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

You mentioned that you know people in Ukraine and Russia? Are they keeping safe?

• Advertisement

Add in the US, Turkey etc., and Putin would crumble pretty fast indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭brickster69

So Ireland has sent Ukraine 10 million euros and changed it's rules on visas to what the rest of the EU countries have. Anything else ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I didn't, might have me confused with someone else. Thanks for asking though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

Given the range of ICBMs (11000km?) it would make no sense to be moving them around anywhere near Moscow: they could hit anywhere in Ukraine from existing locations in most of Russia, Also putting a conventional warhead on an ICBM designed to carry nukes would be un-necessarily expensive; there are smaller shorter range missiles which would do the job.

The European Union, US, NATO countries - and any other willing party - should ban any future Russian immigration.

Not just immigration, but any form of casual travel.

No Russians can leave Russia, forever (unless Putin and the regime change / go).

Once the ordinary Russian on the street understands the practical consequences of this disgraceful invasion, maybe it will trigger yet more to turn onto the streets and protest against this regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If they yanks were serious, they would put an executive order together to stop all US Companies selling to Russia. Apple, Google, Microsoft, Coke, Nike, the lot.

Same with Europe. Adidas, Car Company's, Heineken whatever. These are the type of sanctions on the likes of Sudan and North Korea.

I used to work for Hewlett Packard, we were not allowed to offer tech support to Sudan, Iran, North Korea etc (not that we ever got calls).

The sanctions on Russia are light. If they want to go back to a Soviet Era superstate they can have it. With all the Soviet trimmings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

The point I am making was that if NATO as currently led by the US refused to assist a European NATO member in the event of an attack a natural consequence that would occur would be a serious rethink in Europe. European countries have relied on the US, in the regard Trump was correct. The problem was Trump looked at it as a profit and loss account transaction. In reality the US NEVER wanted European NATO members spending 2.5% of GDP on defense, because if it did the balance of control of NATO would lie in Europe not in the US.

If NATO as a whole refused to defend a European NATO member then European NATO members would be forced to create their own alliance, increase spending 2.5% of GDP and that would create a miltary alliance outside NATO with a population of 750 million people and a GDP exceeding that of the US. It would dwarf anything Russia could hope to acheive, and challange the US position as the only superpower.

It is exactly what the US does not want and that is why it is inconceivable that NATO as currently led by the US would not defend a small NATO member like Estonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't know anything about the top brass in the Russian military, but it would not particularly surprise me if Putin has generals in there who are as paranoid about the West as he is and so will remain loyal. Putin is clearly obsessed with retaining power and has probably war gamed every single scenario by which it could happen that he can possibly conceive of and budgeted for all of them.

On the other hand, I have to think that Putin does not take Zelensky seriously as a politician and statesman, and that he thinks Zelensky is only in the job because he caught a big protest vote, and Putin's hope would be that Zelensky's generals also feel the same - that when push comes to shove, they don't want a former actor/comedian running the show and will turn on him when the chips are down.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement