Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The submariner is perfect. So much better than the old smaller one with the fat belly case. Best sub ever by far. Unfortunately, it is still an entry level Rolex. It doesn't stand a chance compared to the JC

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

New arrival and first ever bronze - Zenith Pilot Type 20 ES with El Primero. Size-wise at 45mm, it is at my very limit but it is very light and much more wearable than I thought it ever would be. I know it will not be to everyones taste but was one that I had on my radar for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I very much like that one! I'd imagine it will only improve with patina 👍

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have its great grand daddy so I defo approve K. 😁 I think they look so much better as chronos compared to the basic three handers at that size.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Was posting from my phone last night, so kept it brief. For anyone visiting Belfast, I'd recommend going into Lunn's. Genuinely friendly staff (as seems to be the case with customer facing staff everywhere in Belfast), was told it would be about 5 minutes before someone could get the YM out of the display for me. And would I like tea or coffee or champagne. I go "no thanks..........eh..did you say champagne?" 😁

Had a nice chat with the salesperson and she then offered for me to take the thick catalogue with me (that you see in the background in my pics). Nice touch, those yokes aren't cheap. Cool reference book of all current Rolex watches

She gave me a slightly different story about the waiting list. Basically they don't even take down names for all popular steel sports watches. But they do for the precious metal and even bi-metal ones. I guess the retail prices of these and the margins on them are far higher than the steel ones, and also the grey price as an expression of the retail price is much smaller, sometimes they are even worth less grey than retail, so it's much less of a favour to sell you one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

She gave me a slightly different story about the waiting list. Basically they don't even take down names for all popular steel sports watches.”

That doesn’t sound right . Names are on lists , doesn’t mean you’ll get one but there is lists . I suppose if there’s hundred of names they might stop adding to it .If lunns stopped passing their watches into Pride & pinion they would have a few to fulfill the lists .

I got an email today from weirs saying that the “Register of interest “ is starting to move and regular stock is starting to come in again but still will be a while until a watch is available for me …

Only telling you what they told me in Lunn's.

Weirs told me recently that because the sub changed model last year, anyone on the list for the old one will have to go onto a new list for the new one, so start from scratch basically. He told me with a straight face, but also told me there are no waiting lists any more for anyone who doesn't have substantial purchasing history.

What's the story about Lunn's passing watches to P&P presumably you mean also over RRP? That's a fairly serious slanderous accusation. I guess you can't back that up?

I think they must just say whatever they feel like saying on a particular day. As I said I got an email today from weirs regarding the register of interest so I can only assume it’s true.

re pride and pinion - Nico had it on one of his stories saying thanks to lunns for the watches when he was going through one of his new deliveries. I didn’t record it though so no I don’t have proof as such , but I don’t bull sh*t so believe it or don’t.

Thanks, maybe someone has a link to that. I can only imagine it must have been a tongue in cheek comment though? Surely an AD selling directly to a grey dealer (again presumably done above RRP - why else would they do it), is a sackable offence, they'd lose their authorisation from Rolex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I think with weirs it really depends who you deal with I've put my name down for 4 or 5 different watches but the only I have any confidence that I am actually on a list for is the patek aquanaut GMT because I was speaking to the manager and I have emailed her since, the rest I doubt.

Maybe the Lunns reference was people buying watches there and bringing them straight into p&p?

That would make a lot more sense alright, Cyrus.

How else do you think the watches get on the grey market ? Do you really think that each watch is sold to an individual and then flipped into a grey dealer ? Every watch is trackable if the manufacturer actually wanted to see which retail point they are coming from .

No doubt there are some "dirty" ADs out there in the world doing just that. But my guess would indeed be that the overwhelming majority of Rolex steel sports getting on the grey market would be directly from flippers who bought the watch in an AD. Do you not think this is the case? So you really think it is very common for ADs to sell watches to the greys? Even in respectable countries like Ireland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A few months back I was reading on another forum about watch buying/selling in Hong Kong and the AD's windows were empty, but the grey dealers were chock a block with sports Rolex(and APs). There seemed to be an open conduit from one to the other.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That's the case for all Rolex ADs worldwide. At least now they have the "for exhibition only" pieces that you can try on. And they seem to change quite frequently too.

But it’s not dirty ADs , it’s just an ADs selling practice . Rolex don’t sell to the public , they sell to the AD . If an AD has one customer come in and want a dozen non desirable watches and two hype watches, the AD is going to make the sale.Is that customer a flipper or buyer on behalf of a grey dealer ? In a recent video from watch trader in the UK they are on about how a saleswoman got someone to buy 11 datejust to get an gold olive dial day date.The AD hardly thought he was buying all that for himself ..I’ve heard many a man try to justify an extreme quantity as “ for personal consumption “ but 11 datejusts and a day date in one purchase cant be for one persons collection .

Look at the amount of Rolex available with full stickers , Rolex policy is to size the bracelet and remove all main stickers before giving it to the customer.The fact any make it out the shop unsized with stickers on means the AD is not doing as Rolex says .And the sheer volume of stickered Rolex available means it’s not just one or two dirty ADs doing it .

Now so as to avoid slanderous accusations as you called it I won’t name the shop but you know who I mean . Have you noticed the number of Tag Heuer a particular grey market seller has been listing on their website recently. I doubt they are coming in from individual flippers and as they are not an AD would it be to far a stretch of the imagination to think that a ball of Tag Heuer have to be bought to get one or two Rolex ?

You'd wonder why Rolex don't just withdraw the authorisation from the dealers and sell directly themselves. They could double the RRP for most steel watches no bother and make treble the profit per watch. Are these legal contracts that are hard to end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

New purchase for me today, the Guinness tastes better than it looks btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Simon5834

Awesome thread. Lovely seeing all the pictures of the tear down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Nico hates lunns so i’d say that comment was about lunns customers flipping them to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭micks_address

Congrats Neil. How do you find it versus the older seamaster? Think you had one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I still have the blue one, I’m in two minds whether to sell or keep it.

The new one is nice, the ceramic is much sharper looking than aluminium on the older one.

It does feel heavier but I’m sure I’ll get used to that, I’m liking the rubber strap, very comfortable.

Yeah I've mine on the Zealande at the moment and it's super comfy.

I may have found a solution to the comfort issues of the speedmaster bracelet. I got an uncleseiko half link and it’s a near perfect match to the bracelet.Havent worn it much yet but it seems like a decent fix for a small price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@scwazrh That is a very good match. Well played.

had completely different experience in Lunns rolex few months ago.. nothing on display and they were a bit stand off ish and didnt really want to talk to us.. was before christmas back in november... the omega side were very helpful... no bother trying on anything and offering tea/coffee to beat the band..

The for exhibition only watches is a relatively new feature. Perhaps they weren't in yet when you were there?

id say you are right. They had nothing only empty display cases when we were up... literally looked like the store was robbed

• Advertisement

It's the same in every Rolex AD around the world. At least now we can go in and try an exhibition only watch on and have a slightly more meaningful chat with the sales staff 😂

Nobody has answered my question though. Why would Rolex not just stop selling watches through ADs? They could double the price of the entire steel sports range and sell through their own boutiques while making 3-4 times as much profit per watch.

Advertisement