Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He didn’t want the investigation to end yet.

So why did he bring it in to the public space? What were his reasons for doing that? Have a good think about it and what else was going on in the news at the same time and see if you can figure it out.

Should I do my thinking while standing in the corner of the room? That it doesn’t even dawn on you that you may be wrong is an obstacle to discourse I’m not willing to overcome with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You can stand on your head for all I care.

Turn off the TV while thinking about it though would be a good step. Although, they've pretty much all stopped talking about this now since Hillary told them to put up or shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Fine, it is only an opinion. The difference is that I haven't prejudged anything while are extrapolating a outcome based on nothing but talking points.

I have no issue with the investigation continuing, if there is a there there they should want to find it, but the whiff of political bias is overpowering on this.

It is obvious that Durham is allowing media to drive a narrative to help him try to find something, anything.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Some critical thinking is needed here along with the always useful step of asking "Cui Bono?"

To recap - Absolute radio silence from Durham for months and months on end. Then suddenly we have this "addendum" to the court filing that just so happens to coincide with what can at best be described as a pretty **** PR week for Donald Trump - He lost his accounting firm , he lost in his efforts to avoid sitting for deposition in the NY case among other things.

Said addendum is then wildly misinterpreted/over-stated by the Right-wing media who add 2+2 and come up with 14,864 reasons why Hillary Clinton and others should face the death penalty (as was suggested by Trump himself).

So - Back to "Cui Bono?"

Who benefitted from this incredibly fortuitous coincidence?

A Coincidence that provided Fox et al with a whole weeks worth of vitriolic programming and which conveniently allowed them to fill all their airtime with "But Hilary", instead of the alternative which would have been trying to spin/ignore the frankly terrible PR for Donald.

Again , who gained from this lucky distraction among their specific support demographic on their favourite media outlets?

• Advertisement

I guess time will tell, as long as his investigation can continue at least we’ll find out one way or the other eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

As far as I can see the Dems are now dominated by the progressives, and the Republicans are dominated by religious conservatives. There is a sensible middle who can hold the balance of power and progress sensible bipartisan policies. But that is just an opinion.

You either trust Durham or you don’t, and most people trust the man’s integrity democrats and republicans alike. Harping everything back to Trump is dishonest, he has no power over the investigation and nothing to do with it.

It has nothing to do with Durham, I have no idea who he is in terms of .

It has to do with creating a story out of nothing. You have accepted that his current case is nothing more than buying time.

There is nothing to talk about. There is no story. There might be, I have no idea. But until he actually produces anything then its nothing but manufactured nonsense.

Where are you seeing ‘nothing more than buying time’? He bought time with these bombshell accusations that were ‘hidden’ within a factual background. This ‘factual’ information is deeply disturbing and suggests that people were spying on trump and using government agencies to do so. That there are no indictments based on this ‘factual’ information yet suggests Durham is buying time, so his investigation doesn’t get shutdown by the Biden DOJ who are not aligned with Durhams interests. There have been other indictments.

The information has been submitted to court. Official records. There is literally no other way Durham can get information out about this investigation. It’s not manufactured nonsense.

• Advertisement

So he is buying time? He has some ideas of what might have happened, hasn't been able to get the evidence to date, so pushed a quick case and made sure the media coveted it as if it actually meant something.

As of today, would you agree that nothing has been proven?

That this idea of the investigation being shut down is built on nothing but a rumour, and even if true, there is nothing unusual about an investigation being closed when no evidence is uncovered?

What evidence do you have that the DOJ was shutting this down?

Can you point to any evidence that Biden has shown any interest in shutting down the investigation? White house leaks or anything? Nope...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The "Facts" currently publicly available don't definitively say ANY of those things - That is the point here.

People have been joining dots that don't yet publicly exist and coming to conclusions utterly unsupported by available evidence.

Might their conclusions eventually come to be true? Possibly , but we don't yet know that and cannot know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Great job by President Biden just now in the speech and Q&A. He's pissed and just starting to Lowe the economic boom on Putin. Things soon to go south in Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Mitch McConnell had this to say yesterday:

This is a serious, serious incident. I have earlier criticized the president and I will repeat some of that,' the senator told reporters.

'I think the precipitous withdrawal from Afghanistan in August was a signal to Putin, and maybe to Chinese President Xi as well, that America was in retreat. That America could not be depended upon. 

McConnell equated the way Biden ended the 20-year war in the Middle East with 'an invitation to the autocrats in the world that maybe this was a good time to make a move.'

He said it was that invitation combined with Putin's desires for a reunified Russian 'empire' that led to Moscow's forces invading Ukraine early Thursday, staging an assault by land, air and sea on multiple fronts.

'A combination of perception of weakness, and yearning for empire, is what led to the war in Ukraine,' McConnell said. 'We are where we are.' 

I think he has it right.

America has never been so divided and looked so weak on the international stage.

I really struggle to understand the GOP position on foreign policy. They want to get out of all foreign wars, think that Putin is fine and NATO is a complete waste of time, but at the same time think that Biden should be staying in foreign wars to stop Putin invading Ukraine!

Pick a lane guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

don't remember him being that against the deal with the Taliban. Or even that concerned when the US Pres was saying the US should not uphold its NATO obligations if Russia attacked.

If I didn't know better I would consider the above to be the signs of weakness but McConnell is a horrific hypocrit. As for a divided US the only serious goals I have heard him talk about is a consistent policy of not working with democrats. Some unity there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Biden's deviousness knows no bounds. His ability to go back into the past and sign a withdrawal agreement with the Taliban to be out of Afghanistan by May 2021 and release 5,000 Taliban prisoners while reducing US troop numbers from 13,000 to a paltry 2,500 under Trump's nose while the Donald was still president is just staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The GOP don't think Putin is fine though, I know people point out the very small element which Thiel etc bankrolls but when they don't have much say on what matters. What is it really,,, Gaetz a few other congress people and zero people in the senate. Heck even Hawley has gone all war monger on this.

The GOP for the most party on foreign policy are still hawks, a few randoms here and their don't really make a difference.

Good article below on this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-02-24/party-of-putin-republican-leaders-and-voters-beg-to-differ

• Advertisement

Trump, who is the main voice of the GOP and the GOP has stood steadfastly behind, has stated that he thinks Putin is a genius and this move is perfectly fine.

You cannot separate Trump from the GOP on this issue, Trump is the GOP, and the GOP does what Trump wants.

They might have hawks in their ranks, they might have people against Russia etc, but since none of them will be prepared to contradict Trump for fear of losing votes then it is nothing but a position they are willing to let slide for their own personal gain.

They can beg to differ all they like, but what did they do when Trump openly sided with Putin over the US security services? What did they do to try to understand possible Russian election interference?

Don't pay attention to what they say publicly, watch what they actually do.

Fundamentally , the modern GOP don't care one way or the other.

They care about Power and that's it.

Putins actions are in their eyes making Biden look bad , so that's good for them.

The idea that they have anything even remotely approaching a moral compass or basic human decency and empathy has long since past.

ALL they care about it grabbing power and holding on to it - Nothing else matters to them.

Grabbing/maintaining power is all either party care about in Washington I'm afraid.

To suggest otherwise is shockingly naive.

Both-side-ism.

It's been a while but welcome back

Still waiting for you to post your criticisms of Biden but I guess that would take more effort and honesty than a snarky one liner or social media link dump.

I've done it multiple times. You too lazy to search?

Fair enough.

I'll post them again.

He should have done away with the filibuster.

He should have expanded the SC.

He should have done wtf he wanted to do for the first two years instead of paying any respect whatsoever for the GOP.

He didn't, and that's unacceptable to me.

Now, how about you accept that I've done (again) what you ask and try to the same when others ask you a straight question..

Should Trump have done away with the filibuster and expanded the supreme court?..

Of course getting power is a key driver for politicians - Without it you can't actually deliver anything , the question becomes about the wider goals and what the primary driver is. For the GOP it is getting power and using it for their (and their cronies) personal benefit.

Set aside for a moment about whether you agree with it or not , but which party actually produced a manifesto for the last Election and which party simply scribbled out the date on the one for 2016 and re-launched it by saying "Whatever the leader says is our policy"?

Not for a moment saying that Democrats are not willing and able to do a bit of nest feathering and back scratching whilst in power , but the GOP appear to have abandoned all pretense of seeking office for the benefit of their voters given that they can't even be bother to publish any kind of Political agenda or plan for anything , other than seeking to increase taxes on people and then denying it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Didn't the GQP enact a big tax reform in 2017?

Advertisement