Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we integrate Unionism into a possible United Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,776 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'Union Jack' is the wrong term to use. Where is the lack of accuracy? Note my posts, after being informed I don't use it to describe the flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

It is a common misconception that Union Jack is the wrong term to use, it is a perfectly acceptable term to use. Essentially the snotty nosed, 'it's the Union flag, not the Union Jack' is pure psuedointellectual, up it's own hole nonsense.

On a forum where certain people get pedantic it was perfectly acceptable, if trite, to make the comment maccored made.

You pull people up all the time, including me, for over reactions and falsehoods, sometimes correctly. You are wrong this time...you missed the sarcasm.

As I said Francie, perhaps I misread the tone, but it came across as smug rather than witty to me. I'll put my hands up if the poster clarifies, but as you've said yourself, I call out that kind of pedantry whenever I see it whether the person making the comment is on my side of the debate or the opposite. I think it lessens the conversation, particularly when the smug pedantry is quite wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

You're correct in refering to the British flag as jack fionn but to stop you and francie bickering,have a look at this link which should bring you both back together.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_territories_with_the_Union_Jack_displayed_on_their_flag

• Advertisement

Is there a point in that list I am missing Freddie?

Other than flag change happens all the time, I am not seeing anything relevant to the current conversation.

I've no idea what context you're dropping this into the conversation in or what relevance it has to anything.

Has anyone expressed doubt that there are countries that incorporate the Union flag?

Myself and Francie are usually fine with our occasional bickering, but thanks for the concern, new poster who seems suspiciously familiar with posters on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But you can't argue that the tricolour is unsuitable for Ireland because of the unionist minority in Ireland, while the union jack is just fine for the UK despite the Irish nationalist minority in the UK. Looks like a double standard to me.

Not arguing one way or the other. As I said, what the UK do or don't do about the Union Jack is up to them. Not going to interfere in their decisions.

• Advertisement

If the UK is making a decision which adversely affects Irish people in the UK, then I think you have as much right to form and express an opinion about that as you do about Irish decisions that adversely affect British people in Ireland.

You might choose not to form or express an opinion, obviously, if you don't greatly care about such things. But - noting the thread we're in - people who don't care about how the actual UK treats its actual Irish minority will probably be seen as not having a useful contribution to make to a discussion of how a hypothetical united Ireland might treat its hypothetical British minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

misconception? its a fact that on land its called the union flag and on a warship at sea its called the union jack.

You could argue that, but wouldn't that be for a different thread about how the UK treats its nationalist minority?

Nope, Union Jack is a perfectly acceptable term to use regardless of where it is flown.

It is sometimes claimed that the Union Flag should be described as the Union Jack only when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From its earliest days, the Admiralty often referred to the flag – however it was used – as the Union Jack. In 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that either name could be used officially. And in 1908 the UK Parliament approved this verdict, stating that ‘the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag’

https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/uk-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/

Not that it is particularly important, I just didn't like the smug correction the other poster lobbed in.....if you're going to be that patronising, at least make sure you're right type of thing.

Not really, no, for the reason I already explained and you quoted in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Just in Ireland? Or are you suggesting Ireland extends beyond the 26 counties?

Don’t think the name is that important, as long as you don’t fly it upside down (which actually won’t get anyone to annoyed either). I don’t think we are that precious about it. It’s the Americans that get in a tizzy about their flag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Obviously I am referring to Ireland the place and not the state.

The flag was supposedly represent all the people of Ireland and was first coined in 1848, 70 years before the state existed.

Personally the flag means little to me. I do hope they change if there is a UI. The meaning behind it is sectarian in a away. I would favour a more unified flag or one without a political meaning behind it.

Wales has a dragon on theirs . How about we put an Irish setter on ours with a white background. They're a smart looking dog and native to Ireland and nearly everyone likes dogs.

Obviously it does, yes. Recall that the Tricolour dates from 1848, long before partition was a gleam in Joseph Chamberlain's eye.

It’s just that you referred to it being the flag of the Irish nation on the island. If you mean the 32 counties of the island, then that is very arrogant to say the least. would you be comfortable if the British isles was referred to as the British nation?

I know I am risking being disciplined by daring to utter those words. I have been in the recent past but I’ll take that risk.

if posters like you can refer at will to the 32 counties as Ireland or the Irish nation and I can’t refer to the two islands as the British isles then I will once again need to take my punishment and bow out of a thread.

the irony is that you firmly believe that the 32 counties form the Irish nation while I accept and respect Ireland and would never refer to it in seriousness as the British isles - its simply a bit of whataboutery to try and help you grasp how offensive and arrogant you are being. I often have to pinch myself that few on this forum get the hypocrisy of it.

• Advertisement

You're confusing nation, a group of people characterised by shared heritage, history, place, language, culture, etc , with state, a political structure. The state called Ireland extends to only 26 counties; the land to which the nation is indigenous, however, also called Ireland, is the whole island. The tricolour is used to symbolise both the nation and the state.

It isn't an unusual state of affairs either to have a nation for which there is no state (Ireland before 1922; Germany before 1870; Poland before 1920; Scotland right now) or a nation whose indigenous lands are not coterminous with a state (German lands outside Germany; Hungarian lands outside Hungary; etc). Sometimes the latter situation is eliminated through population transfers or ethnic cleansing. That hasn't been tried in Ireland since Cromwell's time and, hopefully, nobody would countenance it now.

We have been through this numerous times.

''A nation is a community of people formed on the basis of a combination of shared features such as language, history, ethnicity, culture and/or territory''

A nation refers to people. The Irish nation come from Ireland. The patron saint of the irish is St Patrick etc. The language is Irish. The area they occupy is Ireland. The Irish nation before and after partition come from Ireland. This is excepted by everyone throughout the world apart from some people in the north who have obviously been effected by sectarianism.

The UK is a nation of nations. You live within the Irish nation that is part of the the British nation of the UK. This is why when you go to Britain you get called a paddy etc. I don't think you can say the British nation covers all of the British isles now. The fact is no person born in the south calls themselves British nor do people from the British nation refer to people from the south as British. The British nation does not extend to the south now. If the south was to be included in the British nation as it was once in the UK then the British nation would cover a much larger area as you would have to included all commonwealth and former British colonies in this nation?

A few points.

he referred to the nation on the island. If it’s a group of people he was referring to them why did he stop at the island. There are people all over the world who regard themselves as belonging to the Irish nation. So I don’t wear that explainstion.

I am uncomfortable with the term ethnic cleansing, but of course there has been attempts since Cromwell to drive out a people. Most recently in the border counties, on the cityside in Derry and indeed in my home town.

It has been countenanced on here, with a number of posters previously proposing voluntary resettlement arrangements for unionists in an a united Ireland situation.

The problem with that is that it wouldn't take much on the ground for the voluntary to become involuntary.

Nonsense. They do not “occupy Ireland” (if you are including ni)

ni is British. Part of the Uk. Nothing whatsoever to do with the country of Ireland. Of course Irish people live in it just the same as they live in Boston or Liverpool but they do not occupy it - and I trust never will

You never did come up with how you would propose to help those who say they 'could not live in a UI'. Specifically those who, unlike Arlene Foster (who has said she will leave) do not have the means to move.

I understand your need to mis-represent, but there will be those who will want to leave, however a UI is constructed. Will you abandon them to their fate as was done at partition or help?

I have put forward repeated ideas around a federal approach, joint sovereignty etc which would go a long way towards meeting their needs. Certainly a lot better than "voluntary" displacement.

If you are referring to me. I said The Irish nation come from Ireland or put it a similar way Irish people come from Ireland. Of course if they move away from Ireland they will still be Irish. There is people all over the world that call themselves Irish or being part of the Irish nation. But they will have one thing in common, either they or their ancestors come from Ireland.

This discussion started when talking about the tricolor, the flag was coined to represent the Irish nation or Irish people in Ireland. I mistakenly thought the flag was coined to represent the state but was coined 70 years before Ireland was partitioned and was meant to represent all Irish people. Green being the catholics and orange protestants. White the peace between them

You have presented zero on what you would propose in the event of a UI.

You are once again 'projecting' something that was never said onto views, which is misrepresentation at best and lying at worst.

• Advertisement

So Irish people don't occupy Ireland???show me a post where I said NI is not part of the UK.

Advertisement