Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only played the first two hours or so tonight - fun seeing how some stuff has been remixed or changed since the beta.

Didn’t venture too far afield yet but was dying to get over to the island you can see at the start. Ended up finding the path over completely by accident when trundling down a different path. Almost missed it as well as the game cheekily makes the actual path to the island seem very innocuous! The moment I finally realised where I really was was one of those ‘hell yes, that’s how you do it’ moments of design.

But already little incidents like that are giving me ‘I’m going to **** love this’ vibes. I’ve spent around 12-15 hours over the last week playing the new Horizon. Decent game! But when you play something like this, and you’re bombarded with all these little and big mysteries, secrets, discoveries and surprises it really shows how special a different approach to open world design. It’s all about exploration and rewarding curiosity. What a treat it always is to play a game that has that at the core of its design. Plus, that sweet Soulsborne level and combat design all woven into it.

I’m doing an Astrologer build and flying along with it - magic is very powerful so far, and quite handily took out two optional bosses so far (plus the Tree Sentinel by doing a bit of cheeky luring and sniping). I definitely think this is a more gentle introduction to the Soulsborne style for anyone curious. It’s not ‘easy’ or watered down - there’s just a good solid tutorial and lots of tools that make the game much easier to get to grips with from the off. Plus, the wolves spell you get earlier on is delightfully OP 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Only got to boot it tonight on PC - can't get it to recognise my controller. Have tried all recommended fixes and no joy. Looks like I'll have to wait for a patch 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I am not a from fan but the hype got too much for me, so I took the plunge. And so far I am enjoying it albeit I noped out of all of the tougher encounters so far. 5 hours in with no bosses beaten yet.

I feel like a hungover person nibbling around the edges of a dirty fry up, not yet sure if I can handle a big spoonful yet.

Never finished Sekiro as I got distracted and stopped playing games for a while. Opened it up last night for a few hours and had forgotten how hard these games actually are. Made no progress apart from finding a shortcut but think I'm just in too hard an area.

Tempered my excitement for Elden Ring a bit. Will only get it if I finish Sekiro I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Started out importing Demon Souls back in the day so had to get this for day 1.

Enjoying it so far, definitely some things mixed up, can see aspects of Bloodbourne chalice dungeons in one area so far.

Changing the interact key from x to triangle makes sense I guess with the new moves but… I keep forgetting and hit X and then jump…

Taking my time wandering about slowly, just like all the others I can’t parry - but thats always been the way for me, time to learn how to dodge, snipe and just tank through.

High hopes for the rest of the game but so far so Soulsy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I've never been able to parry in a souls game, dunno what it is about it but i just stick to block, Dodge and roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I'm almost 3 hours in, just realised I could block, thought it was just parry I could do. Should make things a bit easier. Only just discovered how to use the confessor starting magic abilities too. Now time to go hunting for a magic staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Xbox one controller. I've tried every fix that's been listed online but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Probably better off leaving Sekiro and starting fresh with Elden Ring. I have cleared all the From games a few times and I hate picking it up in the middle of a play through.

• Advertisement

Worth checking this out for beginners and vets alike. Vaati does over real basic stuff but also nice refresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Will check that, thanks. I only got to put in a couple of hours last night. Obviously early days but I can't shake the niggle that it's just not for me. Sekiro it ain't. That fighting will take getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

From my three hours last night I think the guard counter feels a little OP.

Couldn't beat that boss I was talking about last night but going to go back and tackle him tonight when I upgrade my Tailsman.

Beat another mini boss in a cave guarded by a load of Wolves then and got an armament which reduces Fire Damage so that might help me get past the bit Recylops was talking about.

How to you spoiler tag on mobile? I saw mention of a flag but I'm not seeing this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The spoiler tag option is via the icon pictured. Hit that, the quotation mark submenu, and then the spoiler option.

Test.

Cheers Johnny 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I have this on a watchlist on Steam and everyone seems to be saying that the game is excellent, but the PC port is manure, with crashes and framerate issues and other stuff, partly caused by Easy Anti Cheat. Anyone on here any experiences of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Over 750,000 concurrent users on pc today and only 16,000 negative reviews. I'm playing on PC and performance is decent, not perfect but it's far from manure.

I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate issues/bugs but don't fall for internet outrage.

Spot a random building while wandering, whats in here? Oh a lift. Down I go deep, deep, deep under ground to a new area, which isn't classed as a dungeon as I can use the horse. Beware of if you fined it

Enemies albeit slow who blow exploding magic bubbles!!!!

Also the jump mechanic lends itself to improved exploration and I did a fair bit of climbing and jumping to get to something in that area which was absolutely no use to me 🤣

Is there any way of knowing if you've cleared a dungeon? I only cleared the wolf one so far and it seems to be the same yellow icon on the map for the grace site. Just wondering what's a good way of remembering a dungeon you've found but don't want to tackle yet? Light beacon maybe?

• Advertisement

If you press X on the map you can choose from a decent variety of icons, no idea how many you can use at once. Much check later but I'm not a fan of how they appear in game as beams of light so might not be a great idea to use a lot of them.

Hmmm maybe there is a setting for that, must check that too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ah lads... it feels great to be back in a From game! Only played for 2 hrs according to OBS so just did that starting tutorial and stealthed my way around the immediate starting area, a camp and then on to

Melina

I chose Samurai and Golden Seed, happy with the medium weight out of the box and his starting equipment. God I missed the DS style combat - but this feels better again with the stealth element and just the openess of the areas - so far it's much less nerve-racking which is great. I love that you can hold the dash button while crouched to move a bit faster while being less visible, really useful.

I remember some video mentioning there is a 100% physical shield somewhere so want to try and find that - I did notice in that first camp a

stairway leading underground

so will check that out when I play again later. Picked up the following from that first vendor too which was recommended by Fextralife

crafting kit, torch and telescope

Playing on PC with the wired Xbox 360 controller and so far haven't noticed any issues, playing great.

Unrelated but jesus how clunky is the spoiler functionality in new boards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sekiro is very different to other souls games it's pure action and also probably the hardest one to get into. For the first couple of hours you are going to be playing it all wrong and struggling until you get to a boss a couple of hours in. He is going to destroy you and you will either rage quite or learn the game by spending the time fighting him. And once you beat him the game makes more sense and you'll fly through it. But it's a much bigger investment and harder to learn than typical souls games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just downloaded this last night, was too tired to play much after the 5hr d/l :/ But did start it up to make sure it ran smooth [on PC, using a GTX 1660, all seems fine] - my wireless Trust controller [xbone style] wasn't happening, it just wouldn't connect, but my wired [Power A] one did work thankfully. I have never played a souls game so complete n00b here - I have played the likes of Skyrim and The witcher series, so expecting something along those lines but much tougher [from what I've seen on the likes of twitch/YT]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

That beginner's guide by Vaati is a really good idea as it sounds like alot of people will be picking this up as their first Souls game. I see they actually put that video out first on Bandai Namco's own channel too.

Stormveil is fantastic, after the open world this feels like classic Souls as others have said before. Multiple paths you can take which interlink, and loads of optional areas you can explore which aren't essential to progress through it. The ability to jump now is a game changer in an area like this, being able to hop over walls or from one ledge to another, hugely opens up the amount you can explore and directions you can take.

I bought the crafting kit from the first vendor but forgot how important a torch is in these games, must go back to him.

I thought the world map was big but I'm in an area thats got it's own map, so the game isn't as big as what you see simply on the world map!!!!!!!

I just checked if you simply press a it will put a becon on the map you use to travel , if you press X and choose an icon like treasue or enemy these won't show on the hud and you can place up to 100 of them.

Awesome, exactly what i was hoping for, a map marker without light beacon.

• Advertisement

Are plunge attacks still a thing? Haven't been able to do one. Also crabs can **** right off and so can minotaurs with dead eye aiming 🤬

Advertisement