Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

It seems a real possibility that Putin has lost his senses completely. Anything is possible now. The best case scenario is that he is deposed from within. The worst case scenario is that this escalated into a situation where the Baltics or Finland are attacked, the internet goes down, and we spiral all the way down to a nuclear exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Agreed, that man is a hero, as are many in Ukraine,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You'd love to read the profiles of him developed by in-house psychologists at the big intelligence agencies. I'm lay man when it comes to this stuff, but the contempt he shows for subordinates and the pleasure he takes in displaying that contempt would lead one to believe he has a pretty profound personality disorder, and one that has gotten worse with age and the isolation and paranoia of his role. I wonder how he is around his kids and partners for instance - is he domineering? coercive? abusive? Does he overtly display empathy?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The way things are playing out, with the determination of Ukraine and increasing unease of the Russian public, you would have to think Putin's days are numbered. Looks like a serious miscalculation (and pet project) on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Was just watching a news report there where they were interviewing a local builder guy who had joined up with the civilian resistance and he was saying that he wanted to defend his country and his people and if he died so be it, he’d try take down 10 of them. God bless that man, he must have a sore back from carrying around balls that big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Haven't they gone through some new training and development stuff in the last 10 years or so. To bring them to par with Western training?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Biden is really weak. Putin put it on him and he does little to nothing. Putin warned him interfere and pay.

Agreed, hopefully its true, but highly doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They were elected to bring them closer to Europe something the entire country wanted after the euro football finals and seeing the success and joys of tourism coming in. The economic joy and the infrastructure building going on in their nearest neighbour's. Despite promises to sign the deal the elected leader turned his back on it under pressure from putin. He then slinked off to Russia with a load of money.

You sir talk some remarkable absolute nonsense about a subject you clearly have a scant grasp of. Have you ever even been in these regions. Do you know any Ukrainians. Absolute spoofer. I've come to the conclusion now that you only type this stuff for a response as it's a dopamine hit. It's actually not meant to be taken as something of worth with its various lies and untruths.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

I'm going to preface this by saying I fully support Ukraine and I hope they maintain their sovereignty. I detest the actions of Putin and in recent years he's seemingly began to get more and more tyrannical with his poisoning of political opponents, journalists and not allowing any sort of free press among many other things. There's a good article on him here which describes past events and how his personality and world view was formed - we shouldn't forget life in the Soviet Union was alien to what we have in the west.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32066222

• Advertisement

He has been in power for 22 years but it seems he has changed over that time, and now may actually be insane. This is what I have long feared - a nuclear arsenal in the hands of a legitimate madman. Why would he not press the button if he feels he has nothing to lose and is in the depths of psychosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I hope you are right but Putin doesn't care about his people .I think the Russian people who are protesting are very brave considering the trouble they are in after been arrested . As has been posted elsewhere the only way to get Putin out is internally and that is a fair bit away it will take a while before the sanctions really hit the people and then hopefully people may revolt . I worry for the people of Ukraine as when they start attacking the Russians they will become direct targets I would say heavy casualties will follow and Russia will still get what they want .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Zelensky has been something else, alright. I do hope he has a solid plan for getting out of Kiev, though, if or when getting out becomes a definite necessity. As inspiring as his courage to stay is, his getting arrested or killed would be a terrible blow to Ukrainian morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Woke up and thought the news would be Kyiv had fallen. Happily surprised its not.

But I'm very confused to what the actual situation is on the ground.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

Yes but you see I don't see it as pathetic, in the sense that it's driven more by pragmatism than laziness. Look at the state of Ukraine now. Hospitals, airports, schools all bombed. If given the choice, I would rather live in a Russian state than a war torn state. If they are my only two options. Like I said before, at least in a Russian state the schools, hospitals and airports work. Of course it only works in a situation where Russia will definitely win by the way. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Ukraine stands a chance.

There's nothing pathetic about preferring a Russian state over a war torn state when they are the only two options.

The only (logical/clear headed) argument I see for fighting Russia really is that you have a lot more focus from the likes of Biden and the EU. There is no chance of them intervening if there is no one putting up a fight.

Varadkar said a Democratic Country in the European Union is being attacked. Doesn't he mean a Country on the continent of Europe as to the best of my knowledge Ukraine isn't a member of the European Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Ukrainians have retaken a power plant in Kyiv after a fierce battle.

Dare I say this is turning in to a bit of embarrassment for Russia militarily speaking? I'm sure they would have hoped to take the capital quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Give me a war torn state any day. Buildings can be rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,676 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not sure if this has been posted but...we should be chucking every member of staff out of the country and levelling the place/repurposing it to host Ukranian refugees...absolute shower!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Well said. My own thoughts have gone this exact way also. I don't use the word "inspiration" loosely but he and the Ukrainians are inspirational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Samurais waiting for the russians!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Whatever happens later they mayb over run by just numbers realy but they are putting it up to the russia

I wonder were there more anti war protests in Russia yesterday?

The people protesting are really brave hopefully it seriously escalates.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If these numbers are any way accurate...they are massively. If true these will surely help turn more Russians against Putin?

Barring Russia from SWIFT could be part of a further round of sanctions, European Parliament President Roberta Metsola said on Friday.

Italy, which had been reluctant to take that step, on Friday said it would not veto proposals to ban Russia and pledged to continue working in unison with its EU partners.

Germany, which has the EU's biggest trade flows with Russia, is also open to banning Russia from SWIFT, but must calculate the consequences for its economy, Finance Minister Christian Lindner said on Friday.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said his country strongly supported barring Russia from the system. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson called on leaders of NATO member countries on Friday to take immediate action to remove Russia from SWIFT.

EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said a decision on SWIFT could happen in the "coming days."

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

The longer Ukraine resists the more humiliating it is for Putin. The more humiliated Putin is the more desperate he will get. My worry is he turns to chemical warfare or worse.

If NATO can continue the flow of arms to Ukraine and the West can turn off the cash flow for Russia the better the chance Ukraine has of prevailing.

Even if Putin does overthrow the government the Ukraine people won’t stand for a puppet regime. He might win in the short term but hopefully he loses in the long run.

Kudos to Kazakhstan for saying no to Putin. The political isolation and economic sanctions hopefully help the Russian people turn on Putin. The general feeling is he has bitten off more than he can chew. Let’s hope so. He is modern version of Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Apparently at least two Russian paratrooper planes were destroyed by Ukrainian forces last night. They were being dropped in stupid positions with no air or land cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

I don't know, I think we've reached Ukraine is a state of mind territory. If he's captured or killed then it'll only solidify their resolve, especially if the Russians attempt to put a puppet reigime in place.

He'll have died a martyr.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement