Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From the BBC

UK Armed Forces Minister James Heappey says the UK and 25 other countries have all agreed to provide more "humanitarian aid or lethal aid".

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that the UK would now work with those nations to coordinate how the military aid is delivered and "put into Ukrainian hands" - but gave no further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

That's the realities you face when you invade another country. Yes they're soldiers who probably don't believe in the mission in some part but they are happy to land, and go kill Ukrainians with impunity. I'd rather watch them die than watching kids and infirm people being bombed and shot. So I don't feel one ounce of sympathy for anyone capable of doing this like I'm assuming most others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

The supreme historical irony in all of this. Putin, in trying to refashion some kind of Russian Imperium has merely succeeded in driving all the former Western Soviet republics, and the countries of the former Eastern bloc, into the Western camp forever.

'Epic fail', I believe the kids call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's tough but war is kill or be killed and when you are in another's country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭jackboy

A big difference watching this compared to the American invasions over the years. The Americans start with massive bombing and missile attacks, which can go on for weeks. Then when the opposition is really degraded and demoralised massive armies of ground troops go in, or they use disposable proxy armies. The Russians in contrast have gone in after a very light bombing campaign. I suspect that the battle plan may not have come from the Russian generals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pretty much this. They're foreign invaders intent on committing terrorist acts on another country's sovereign soil. To put it bluntly, **** em.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

They won't need to send tanks in they would massacre Russian forces from the sky. Think Falaise pocket level of destruction, Ukraine is a very flat country with no place for their armoured columns to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Zelensky really is a man who's had destiny thrust upon him. As opposed to Mad Vlad, who no doubt views himself as a man of destiny.

The contrast between the two couldn't be more stark.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Every part of me hopes he doesn't. That would be unhinged on his part and that would be an even bigger worry than the existing craziness. And that's saying something.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Cyprus just confirmed it will not block decision to ban Russia from Swift. A lot of Russian money flows via Cyprus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Big difference in feeling no sympathy and posting how brilliant it is and rejoicing hoping for more. I am of the same opinion as you, when you invade someone else's country you have to accept the circumstances but I fear it could turn Russian public opinion in the other direction. My point is the only possible way out of this without it becoming a world wide disaster is if the Russian people themselves do the right thing and terminate this asshole.

Who would really be upset if putin and the belarussian fella were killed by drone strikes? Would there really be any hit back by Russia?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Are you being forced to read posts?

Didn't think so , war is a dirty game, we've watched a country get surrounded and bullied by a foreign invader ,we were told its not going to happen ,and when it did that the Russians would wipe out the Ukrainian army in minutes,

Guess what the usual suspects have all being wrong since day one on here and every other thread over the last 8 years and there's been a good few .

The UKRAINIANs are Fighting like lions for every inch of their country , they are fighting for their lives and their families and the right to exist .

Nobody is cheering like they are at the fa cup .

But yes Glory ,Glory Ukraine United

❄️❄️❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

One good thing to come out of this is that we now know that Putins plan to go forth and annex the Baltics is a complete fantasy. The struggles he is facing in Ukraine would be multiplied by 10 as he would now be facing modern weapons in the hands of extremely highly trained troops as well as the threat from the sea. It would be a massacre and most likely end in the war moving onto Russian soil.

when you are in another's country

That's the line alright, self-defense is perfectly acceptable. We all have our lines in terms of what we will celebrate though. Also tough, is that is more often than not, poor fighting poor, which is also obscene, like they are expendable. Anyway, one can think all this and still know the over-arching rights and wrongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

For those of us in the OSINT community or with an interest in it, this war is extraordinary. The use of the Sentinel satellite passes, geo-locating troop and naval assets and ATIS/Transponder codes, all open source, means that nothing will escape the international communities analysis especially when it comes to any claims/atrocities etc.

You can bet that the intelligence gathered by the AWACS, Rivet Joint and Global Hawk assets is being fed to Ukranian commanders on the ground.

This was probably the case with the interception of both IL-76 during the night.

The death of Stalin is the guide book here, I wonder what Medvedev's plans are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

When the youth of Russia start dissapearing for protesting and their family and friends start asking questions, this will be a huge problem for Putin. This is happening the last couple of days. I think the more arrests they make in Russia, the more emboldened the protesters will become

Another miscalculation.

I'm still surprised the Globalhawks are still flying very close to Russia in the blacksea unchallenged .

No warning or attempted interceptions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

@malinheader Yes, war is terrible but war is war and (Almost) all is fair in love and war.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Cop on. They are invaders going to kill innocent people. Cop the **** on.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Didn't click on whatever they are. It's not past Presidents job to deal with these issues. It Bidens job and he is dealing with it very weakly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

200 stinger missiles on the way from the Netherlands .

putin will be deep in his bunker, he'll know he's a target and will be taking no chances and would jump on any attempt to push his agenda (whatever that is).

Poland FA have refused to play world cup qualifiers against Russia

Aren't they US-operated? Shooting one down would almost certainly trigger the NATO defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Is there any proven stats on casualties for both sides yet or is it all just propaganda? I'm finding it hard to understand the true scale of the devastation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement