Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

They normally would have voted against in alliance with Russia. An abstention is a slight against Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,184 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think he's main aim in Ukraine is to establish a puppet government like what China has in Hong Kong

He'll never beable to hold on to Ukraine as the gorilla warfare will continue

I fear there's a terrible 24 hours ahead for the Ukrainian people.

They'll roll in the heavier artillery.

What despicable kunts Putin and his military are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Is India and UAE a surprise? They abstained too. Or is it cowardice on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Even a puppet has no chance considering the anger and desperation felt by the Ukrainian people, add to that all the armaments distributed to civilians and there's no way they hold cities like kyiv without mass bombardment or effective genocide.

I honestly think he's gone off the deep end due to whatever illness is plaguing him and he only sees a Russian empirical legacy or end of humanity as his options. Obviously the latter doesn't matter to him due to his illness.

• Advertisement

The Ukrainian ambassador to the UN is giving a brilliant speech to the security council right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Was just listening to the Ukrainian representative at the un taking strips out of Russia, great to hear.

Wonder what would happen if EU/NATO looked at Belarus right now and sorting that place out while Putin is busy with Ukraine? Would the tanks etc find a reverse gear?

• Advertisement

Why are we not sanctioning Belarus? They're facilitating this action

• Registered Users Posts: 22,407 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

What kind of fuckery is it that a country can veto a resolution condemning itself!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The same country who tried to complain about the annexation of east Germany from the Soviet union in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭_ptashek_

Don't hold your breath on that. NATO would throw Poland under the bus in a heartbeat, if it meant gas, oil and money kept flowing to France, Germany, UK and the US, and nukes stayed in their silos. All we'd get would be thoughts, prayers, and useless sanctions just the same as Ukraine did (*). As a nation, we're used to our so-called allies backtracking on their promises, with France and UK as prime examples the last time a power-obsessed maniac lit the world on fire.

(*) but I truly hope there's covert aid of the lethal kind flowing in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

We'll should keep this post on file, along with all the "Russia won't invade, there are only a handful of troops on the Ukrainian border just to protect themselves from NATOs expansion east" posts from the Putin apologists a week ago, for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't think we need to worry about Russia invading anyone else. They are getting such a fight from the Ukrainians and it will last a long time, I don't think they will be able to take on others too. Putins grip on the country has always been based on propaganda, now the idea that NATO was a threat to them is nonsense, firstly that NATO hasn'tengaged when there is an opportunity to do so, and secondly NATO would steamroll them if it wanted.

Fair **** to the Ukrainians, doing it on their own is undoubtedly going to take a heavy toll on them but it blows all of Putins bs out of the water and will hopefully lead to his demise threw domestic rather than international intervention.

I think Putin has revealed his hand militarily and it's not as strong as he thought. Of course, he still has much more destructive weapons, all the way up to nukes, but I can't see them going there. Even if Putin wanted to, I can't see the military obliging, particularly that China isn't supporting them in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He or the Russian military are well capable of levelling a City and have done so in Putin's time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shades of the whole "any minute the EU will throw Ireland under the bus for a brexit deal" here. If NATO refused to aid one of its members - a self-defence pact - then NATO is dead as an entity, having literally just undercut its key tenet. Every other minor member, especially those nearest Russia, would be looking over their shoulders or dropping out (maybe even reassessing their relationship with Russia itself). I don't doubt diplomacy would be applied til the very last minute - but NATO's existence would demand action.

Just because Putin called the world's bluff with invading Ukraine doesn't suddenly mean every conceivable action is on the table, realistically. One swallow doesn't make a summer. ICBMs and invasions of Poland; until there are credible reports it's all hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

IMHO The bottom line rests with the Russian population. The end result might take time. But when the sanctions start to really bite - including the cancellation of the a swift payment system- the average Russian will feel very disgruntled along with the ‘well/very well off and we will hopefully have a coup, assanation, ‘ a natural death’!!, a general uprising ( there are presidents), or whatever you are having. In the meantime the poor Ukrainians have to go through an. Awful experience

• Advertisement

The protests are great. It must be hard for Putin to get young Russians to feel sentimental and passionate about an era they never knew.

What is the deal w/ Internet access there? I assume people use burner phones and vpns to bypass state controls, or how is that done? I'm taking it for granted that any ordinary Russian with a modicum of tech know how can bypass the controls?

I was always of the very clear opinion that’ a director of a company, member of an organisation , member of a committee, or similar always physically removed themselves if there was a conflict of interest. In other words the individual could not input into the discussion and should not be able to hear details of discussion. What the hell were they thinking when they were drafting the rules of engagement re the decision making process. Was not the whole idea of the security council process to make sure that future Hitlers will never be allowed to operate , to avoid another world war, and suchlike. The King With No Clothes Scrap Saturday come to mind. Is there any possibility of the UN reviewing the whole process - needs a review after all those years anyway- cancel the security council and replace it with , say, a committee called the Soverign Guarantee Caucus or whatever. I assume all such at UN Level are by majority vote apart from the current Security Council

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Sadly the mistake the UN has made is marketing itself as an organisation where all the countries of the world can come together, resolve disputes and sanction rogue nations.

In reality, the United Nations came into existence as the allied countries in WWII who fought against the axis. This is why Ireland was not a founding member (you'd think Ireland would be an ideal candidate for an organisation that promotes peace and neutrality, but that's not what the UN as originally formulated was about).

It is basically a diplomatic forum for the USA, UK, France, USSR/Russia and China, but with a powerless sop to the other countries of the world (the General Assembly).

We even saw during covid that the WHO was unwilling to discuss ROC (Taiwan) at all, because they are not members of the UN (in the 1970s, the PRC took the ROC's seat as China, and now ROC are excluded from the UN).

Russia isn't the only permanent member that votes against measures aimed at them - see the UK and Chagos Islands/Diego Garcia.

The main reason for keeping the UN is that we have no alternative and it's better than nothing. But it will always be powerless to do anything against any of the victorious allies from WWII.

There have been moved to reform the UN but guess what - any such measures can be vetoed by the "big 5".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The faces of his council during his address was the same face the lady virologist/medical prof made while trump was talking about bleach

• Registered Users Posts: 22,407 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There is a thing called path dependency that explains all of this. Early decisions made when forming the UN after ww2 had massive consequences for the future direction of global politics. Giving a veto to the permanent members early on resulted in the situation that none of those countries would ever act to remove their own veto

It ends in the ludicrous scenario where Russia can chair the meeting aimed at sanctioning themselves and veto the outcome by arguing that they are not party to the conflict that they started and are currently undertaking

And the other permanent members allow this because they use the same tricks themselves to avoid the consequences of their own illegal wars and interventions

• Registered Users Posts: 54,184 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Poland refusing to play Russia in the world cup play off

Well done Poland

FIFA should be kicking Russia out

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The UN died as a peace keeping force the day Bush didn't get his resolution and said fk it I'm invading anyway.

In better news Cyprus have caved and agreed to kick Russia out of Swift

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

One action NATO could actually take is to rid the world of the Wagner group. Declare them for what they are a terrorist group and hunt them down like dogs in Africa.

Advertisement