Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

This might result in reciprocal moves by Russia against Blackwater/Academi or other US private military contractors. I'm not saying that that would be a bad thing, just that I can see why the US might be unwilling to take such a measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

It could and I agree with the sentiment on Blackwater but Russia simply do not have the ability to touch Blackwater, unless it is through Iranian proxies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I think Russia could invade Moldova. Not in NATO, Russian minority.

Plenty of Americans would like to see the end of the likes of Blackwater, BTW. They have been (and may still be) used to sidestep congressional rules surrounding use of approved weapons in combat; they provide cover in other words for a corrupt MIC with money to burn.

Anyway, didn't mean to sidetrack.

Latest protest info I can find is:

1 PM Rathgar

2 PM O'Connell Street

Anyone else confirm?

I would personally like to see the end of Blackwater too, but in terms of what they have done they are not a patch on Wagner group and it is also a deflection.

This week is about Russia not the US, the Wagner group is out there. It is exposed in several different parts of the world, they are a Russian government sponsered group, they are commiting human rights abuses and it is a vunerable target that could be taken out by NATO that would not be an escalation against uniformed Russian soldiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

They may have intended to but I doubt they will now. I think they didn't expect such resistance from Ukraine or simply thought themselves to be stronger than they are. They are probably suffering more loses than they expected and they will have to devote ongoing resources there for a long time to keep manners on the Ukrainians. I don't think they are in any position to invade anyone else. I also think other nations will be inspired by the Ukrainians and will put up a good fight also (with plenty of western backing).

Even domestically, I doubt there is any support for more of the same. I think Putin started believing his own bs and now the illusion he created for himself/his country is shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Street to street fighting in Kyiv. Zelensky staying put. Hoping the Ukrainian’s can hold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And we should have. Multiple wrongs never made a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not surprised re China but India & UAE also choosing to sit on the fence?? With UAE, you'd have to think it's about protecting their financial empire - scum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

If, like me you feel powerless to help the Ukrainians then there is always the option to send financial assistance:

I have followed this Ukrainian born trade negotiator for years so I trust that this is legit.

The link allows you to donate to various causes such as to help the refugees or you can even donate directly to the Ukrainian army if that's your wish.

I won't be going racing anywhere this year that has an Al Maktoum horse running at the meeting. That means pretty much any Irish flat racing meeting.

Out of curiosity are these protests specific to this war or are they anti-NATO protests? if PBP are involved it'll be the latter. I know that Jeremey Corbyn and Stop The War are holding an anti-NATO protest in London today. Contemptible stuff.

God I hope they are not anti-NATO as that won't be the time or place for counterpoints, but maybe some of that crowd will turn up, no idea. I am anti-bully and anti illegal invasions. From my understanding they are being driven by Ukranians, Georgians, Moldovans etc. I don't do politics, but I expect there will be representatives from various parties.. I saw a tweet from some Labour TD about the protest in Rathgar.

"Anti-Bully"....that's a perfect way to describe it. I am the same. I was incensed by the Iraqi invasion in 2003 and I am incensed by this now. If those protesters are driven by people from those countries I can't imagine they'll have much time for the anti-NATO expansion stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

There have been some protests in Russia, with the police heavily and violently clamping down on them. 1,700 arrests on Thursday and 1,000 on Friday. Some Russian celebrities are speaking out as well. I wouldn't trust the Russian media and social media though to portray an accurate picture of all the events. But maybe, the best hope of ending the invasion is if the Russian people rise up and turn on Putin.

Edit: I hear now that Russians have been blocked access to Twitter. What a #### Putin is, he doesn't want the people knowing the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,183 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That's why there's no free press in Russia, the best way to control you population is not letting them know the truth. This is why Journalism one of the most dangerous professions in the world at the moment from Russia to Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I just saw a photo of a mother carrying a baby out of Kyiv . She had the same hat on as my granddaughter . It made me cry for them . My god its horrendous to watch and feel helpless

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see Canadian off Licences withdrawing Russian Vodka from their shelves in solidarity with the Ukranians, pretty much sums up the limp support being afforded Ukraine generally.

Have to say, I'm surprised Putin went beyond the 2 states he recognised as independent, Kyiv was a possibility for take over from an administrative point of view, temporarily but he's miscalculated generally.

With all the world's media in situ its actually very surprising there's been very little evidence of actual combat so really difficult to know for sure what is going on, beyond the bombings.

The Ukraine President, honestly comes across as a complete clown (albeit I suppose he was a comedian in a previous life)

Utterly perplexing what Putin is up too , he's still going to have NATO on his doorstep even if he succeeds in taking over Ukraine.

Very sad and as always its the people who suffer.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

There is a No to War in Ukraine protest in London on March 2 organised by STWC and Corbyn among others are speaking. It's far from contemptible. No right thinking person who opposés the war can think that NATO are the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Russia wouldn't dream of invading moldova - as long as the Moldovans do as they're told by Russia , and keep their mouths shut ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

What nonsense.

Every business being affected will cause ripples back to the power brokers, in Moscow.

Zelenskyy is playing an absolute blinder and is showing what a real tough guy is. His bravery, in the face of Russian death squads hunting him, is holding the Ukrainian resolve together.

He's turned down a helicopter evac from the Americans and Polish, and is an absolute thorn in Putin's plans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

The impotence of the West is quite stark here. Sanctions won't work in the short term, they may in the medium term but it's really all they have in their armour. The parallels with Iraq are striking, then the US and the UK ignored the international community, and destroyed Iraq and Afghanistan with huge casualties but nothing could be done to stop them, they weren't even hit with sanctions. Putin has learned well from them.

Ukraine will fall, and Putin will declare victory as Bush and Blair did but like them it will be a pyrhicc victory. Despite claims that he will go after other states I think that's fanciful in the way that Bush was going to go after the so called 'axis of evil' it never really happened although Obama did destroy Libya later.

Putin has made a huge error here and he'll likely be moved on relatively soon and quicker if he tries to move further.

Good to see ordinary Russuans taking to the streets...if that grows Putin's days could be over quicker but they face a tough task there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Did we get a vote at the un security council, i thought we were on it for 2 years at the moment

You think so 🤔

Playing a Blinder 🙄

I'm not doubting his or indeed fellow Ukranians bravery (Albeit, Ukranian citizens experiencing far greater hardship, I'd wager)

We all of course know exactly how this will end.

Putin will wreak Havoc, secure the two states , perhaps other areas. Nato will do nothing. Things will calm down .

Roll on a few weeks, Talks, EU leaders will Q up to meet Putin, kiss his arse.

Pipeline back on Track, Sanctions lifted and all the while Russia reaping additional Revenues and profits through high Gas and Oil prices.

And of course, Ukraine left to rebuild and pretty much forgotten about.

We've been here before, Crimea and Georgia.

Apparently there's fighting on the streets of Ukraine - this is now where the conflict gets awful awful -if the general population fight back from those high buildings then the Russians can fight hand to hand building to building , with huge losses for everyone ..

They can bombard the city from a distance like Grozny .

Of besiege it ..which is awful for those inside and leaves Russia's supply lines exposed ..

None of which are great for anybody - will the world stand by and watch a modern city be bombed into the stone age - when the pictures go up on line ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Precisely my point , we've seen a few burned out army vehicles, Bomb damage In residential areas , nothing of a Major offensive, CNN, BBC and Sky news practically have their entire staff in Ukraine and essentially reporting gun fire and a few explosions miles away.

I'm assuming that since the war started because Putin marched himself into a corner that there's no chance of him saying -"oh , our bad let's go home "

Mores the pity ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Looking at sky news and BBC news live shots, the only thing invading Kyiv are crows and sun shine.

Advertisement