Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi calling on Gomo plans?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Wi-Fi calling is becoming increasingly essential as buildings are built and retrofitted to A level energy ratings. The foil layer in insulation, and the metallic layer in A rated windows reflect mobile signals, creating blackspots inside buildings. WiFi calling allows you to create your own seamless indoor coverage for normal voice calls and texts. It also allow you to bypass roaming charges when travelling to non-EU countries.

Volte / 4g calling means that your data won't drop down to slow/ unusable speeds when on a voice call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Just tried it and it’s now enabled for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭KildareP

Post #58: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118670338/#Comment_118670338

Make a call when connected to 4G data and your phone should stay on 4G while the call is in progress.

WiFi Calling will be enabled at the same time - turn on airplane mode, then manually turn WiFi back on and you will be able to make/take calls and SMS normally via the WiFi.

• Advertisement

I just went in and tried turning it on. Have been trying daily for the last week or so

Open to be corrected, but I think if you’re in an area with no/bad coverage but have WiFi, (e.g. in a hotel or coffee shop etc.), you can make a call as normal with no charges.

If you were roaming, you could turn off the phone signal also & still be able to make/receive calls as normal as if you’re in your home country with no extra charges as long as you were WiFi connected.

Have just found out from research that as mentioned before in the thread only certain phones will work with Eir / GoMo sims for wifi calling and VoLTE.

I have a google Pixel which is stock Android so I would have assumed that it would work but apparently not.

I thought that the wifi calling option was not there due to it being carrier disabled but that may not be the reason.

Balls.

Anyone here have it working on a Pixel phone by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Seems to have been enabled on mine this afternoon as well.

Note 20 Ultra on the 9.99 plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

It’s enabled on my wife’s iPhone 8 too. It shows up as Eir WiFi Calling.

• Advertisement

Google have to "approve" a network before any ancillary features like WiFi Calling, VoLTE or 5G will work.

So far Eir hasn't been approved so none of those features work (GoMo for all intents and purposes is the Eir network, unlike say, 48 and 3).

There's been a lot of quite frustrated discussions about this on the Google Pixel Community from users across Europe where most carriers haven't been approved by Google and so none of the various operator ancillary features will work.

So far Google don't appear to have engaged and the only people who engage with such threads from a Google perspective are forum volunteers and not employees (and their responses tend to be very much on the unhelpful side...).

But likewise have Eir bothered to push to get approved?

That's the only way that this would be solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im after getting it on a Xiaomi today. VOLTE and Wifi Calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Surprised by this. I had a Nokia 7 plus up until early this year. The phone was an 'Android One' phone, meaning that it effectively ran a Google-approved/almost stock version of Android. It worked with WiFi calling on the Eir network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Can confirm this is now working on the €9.99. Using iPhone 12 Pro Max. Happy days finally have decent signal inside the house.

I know. Makes no sense. Plenty of handsets from Nokia, Samsung, Oppo, running Android and happily ticking along with 5G, VoLTE and WiFi Calling on supported networks yet Google's own flagship handset doesn't!

So Google are selling phones with these features that the consumer paid for and then Google also basically turn them off for users on certain networks?

Does anyone know the logic behind it from Google's point of view?

Long thread on it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eamonpendergast

What model do you have, no sign of it on my Xiaomi RedMi Note 9 Pro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Hi Schorpio, did you have to do anything other than just turn on WiFi calling on the handset to get it working.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nickyjames

there is no any update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Schorpio

No, nothing at all. WiFi calling just worked out of the box. It didn't work when I moved to GoMo though.

I don't use that phone anymore, but I still have it. I might stick a GoMo SIM into it and see if WiFi calling works again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

I just got it today on my OnePlus 9. Randomly popped up sometime between half 4 and 5pm.

I'm on the original 9.99 GoMo plan as well from launch day.

My wife is on a Nord 2 and nothing has showed up for her yet. We signed up for GoMo at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Belmulletman,

Did you have to restart your phone or did VoLTE (or similar) just appear on your screen? I'm on the original 9.99 plan, too. Still waiting (as is my missus).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

* # * # 869434 # * # *

I just stuck that code into my android and I now have WiFi calling on gomo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I put that code in and it enabled the option and turned on, but it doesn't work. 3 phones here still without it.

I also turned on VoLTE

VoLTE *#*#86583#*#*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

5G Lite NE.

As above, manually enabled a few weeks ago.

Hmm. No effect at all on my OnePlus 6. I had a UK SIM which had VoLTE, so I know the phone supports it but no luck so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I tried this on my GoMo 9.99 SIM in my iPhone 8 Plus. Doesn't seem to be enabled, tells me to contact Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Masala

am on the 9.99 plan and the WIFI Calling option on my IPhone says ... contact Eir.

• Advertisement

My wife's phone got the 4G calling and WiFi calling today. Just appeared. No sign of it on mine. We're both on the original plan but I joined a few weeks after her.

Advertisement