Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

The number Ukraine are throwing out sound too good to be true but remember they have an indirect line straight to the top in Moscow. Remember, the yanks called every. single. move the Russians made. I even wonder if the difference in foreknowledge compared to 2014 might be a sign of defections increasing among higher-ups in that time.

This isn't a bunch of shepherds with AKs. They're not firing at every light in the sky, they'll know about every plane and helicopter anywhere near Kyiv. It might just mean an extra couple of days in the end alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Actually it is probably one of the most important questions to ask. Supermarkets were open in Kiev yesterday, don't know about today. I do remember that Sarajevo was under seige for years and people stood in lines at shops in areas where a former Olympic target shooting competitor was taking potshots at them.

Wondering about that myself, guy's a tool but that's a big hint that something is up. Whether that's health or he's steeled for years of bloody conflict who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

War is a strange thing. They are defiant and will hold. Most of them have made peace to fight to the death, if it may be. With that comes clarity and a sense of calm. I was talking to my English mate yesterday and he was saying it's suicide, if it was him he would surrender.

I was saying I would fight. I know I would fight given the feelings this is stirring inside me and I think most Irish people probably are the same. This is a trait that has passed through the generations. In my opinion, the historically oppressed have more WILL to fight in them than the oppressor who just expect the easy win. An that will, belief and defiance can inflict some serious damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The football team shouldn't have been put in this position. Russia should already have been expelled from the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Putin should never be referred to as "president" ever again. He is an illegitimate fascist dictator. A criminal who makes Daniel Kinahan look like Mary Poppins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Over here I sometimes feel we overplay the Irish sense of community.

Well the footage on Sky News now of the residents of Dnipro gathering together making Molotov cocktails is one of the most emotional news items I have ever seen live.

My god.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Seen pictures of off licences handing out alcohol and beer bottles to make molotov cocktails.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

They'll be a lot there that have scores to settle with Russia from Syria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,852 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ha. Balls like a bengal tiger on the Ukrainian president. Whatever happens I thinks it’s a fairly safe bet that his name will be put on streets or squares in Kyiv and elsewhere in Ukraine after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Really concerning that the Russians are bringing in thermobaric artillery to Ukraine now.

https://twitter.com/fpleitgencnn/status/1497519335350452231?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A quick look through Ukrainian history history will tell you that is unlikely that they will just roll over.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

All international sports organisations need to come together and announce a complete ban on russian participation indefinitely (i would go as far as 10 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jesus, they'd have to empty them first if that didn't that here 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a few hairs left on my head - would you like some to practice spliting, though I must say, it doesn't seem like you need more practice?

It was foolish of me to have not included 'troops' and to have temporarily forgotten I was living in a country full of moral giants.

I apologise for not having a trillion or two from which I can spare $6.5b. I'll try and put in more overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

These sanctions are overdue and won't give a quick result. Russia has prepared for a war, has lots of resources planned way ahead. West is still sleeping with serious sanctions. There are oligarchs living in the EU and the UK who have close contacts with Cremlin. They should be deported if serious reasons found. Don't forget that Europe is still feeding Russia buying gas and other resources. Swift and other tools are already too little too late. Europe, especially Germany who had an agreement about the Nordstream, have blood on their hands now too and the West can now blame themselves for not putting enough effort to understand how aggressive, dangerous and unpredictable Russia is. Eastern European countries was telling that to NATO for all of these years but West through East was overreacting and stayed calm, civil and slow to react. All of that ignorance has lead now to the situation that NATO doesn't want to defend Ukraine as they're afraid of initiating a WW3. They try to be again civil and slow to react, want to measure and assess the situation first. US doesn't seem to care much either. But we are again forgetting that Putin doesn't care what others thing of him. He's a maniac and likes the power. He has access to the buttons launch the bombs on Europe. And he wouldn't care much when to use these guns - before or after NATO steps in.

If we fail to give enough resources to Ukraine (which should now be read as Europe), we risk to see the day when Russian army crosses the NATO territories.

Just a quick fact. Ireland isn't a full rights member of NATO, just have a special agreement with a sponsorship so Ireland should immediately increase its input to better support NATO and the Ukraine. I'm glad seeing the Irish government speaking up and politically support the Ukraine's sovereignty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Just watched the footage in Dnipro. Amazing to see the numbers waiting to sign up for service. Real sense of community coming together and making the Molotov cocktails. Your heart would go out to Ukrainian people and Zelenskyy. He cant have slept for weeks.

On another point, switched on RT to see it was down.😁 Maybe it's gone a couple of days, but Anonymous are doing their bit now. If those guys get stuck into Russia, it will take years, decades even for Russia to recover the cost of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Add soap for Napam. It is going to be horrifying. There is a lot of talk about "taking" cities, and Maripol falling already. It has not started yet, you know the Russians have only skirted the edge of cities so far because taking a city involves clearing 1 house at a time. What needs to be understood is that there are 4 or 5 cities larger than Dublin in Ukraine and many more larger than Cork. Every 2nd or third house will have either a soldier or civilian with rifles or molotov cocktails in them. The fight will depend on the willingness of ordinary Ukrainians to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

This won't end well for Putin. Even if he 'wins' he will rule an ungovernable country where he is not wanted. If he 'loses' or is forced into a surrender it will be humiliation for him. I can see the west arming Ukraine for as long as it takes to keep up the resistance. As loony as Putin is I don't think he will move on another country save Moldova due to Transnistria.

He is trying to flex Russian muscle but their is no obvious achievable outcome which is to his favour. Indeed the invasion has made it likely that if/once Russian forces leave Ukraine will look to join both the EU and NATO. Something his invasion has expedited.

If he carries out mass murder then I'm not sure the West will be able to use the NATO line for not going in. The longer this goes on the more people from other countries might rally to Ukraine's side and join the battle literally.

Ultimately the problem for Putin now is he has marched up the hill and there is no end which is not humiliating or nightmarish. Ukrainians I don't think will tolerate their country being split along ethnic lines. Crazy times and ultimately sad times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭threeball

Unfortunately they're the Chelsea colours so can't see that happening.

I agree with you. I also agree that war is what it is. There are a lot of intelligent people posting here but some seem to lack emotional intelligence.

Let's say I am a Russian, and my little brother was never good at school, maybe not so bright, so he joined the army, and he is happy there. Even though I am against the war in Ukraine how would I feel knowing he was ripped to pieces in the cold dark night on a transport plane.

War is war but the Call of Duty warriors need to learn a bit of respect for real soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Russia sent in their badgeless little green men into Ukraine in 2014. I wouldn't be surprised if there are Little Green Poles in there too, or special forces.

The Moldovan government know full well they are next on the list. It's not even a case of choosing not to poke the bear, they know they are next. It would probably be an astute thing to send their troops in to defend Odessa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I fully agree. That's why I was never been so proud of Lewandowski and the Polish team. FIFA/UEFA money links to Gazprom & Russia are,so strong that they would probably try to avoid making any drastic decisions, supporting it with the BS that "we should not mix sport and politics".

If Russia gets walkover awarded I hope that Sweden/Czech teams will have balls to do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭wandererz

So, Swan Lake at the Helix has been cancelled.

What about the Bord Gais Energy Theatre & the St Petersburg Ballet?

It would be a travesty if they did not cancel as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

To be honest, there's been a few comments comparing how we'd react, i wouldnt underestimate our willingness to do something if we were presented with the same situation. I am not saying Russia because the size difference is ridiclous, but if a country literally invaded in the same fashion and we were sort of equipped to take on the fight (as in not outnumbered 100/1).

For me, it wouldnt be about "Ireland" and "Our Nation" or any of that, to be super honest, I love this country and all, but for me it would be more about democracy and our freedom, and not to be controlled.

It's the opposite in fact. I have too much humility to ever be so certain that I was justified in dancing on a grave. And that humility comes from knowing that there is good and evil in all of us (as you have shown), which makes us all moral elves in my eyes, including myself. So, we need to watch we're at and maintain some discipline (as provided in the law), even when the chips are down.

EDIT: I do agree that we/I are/am sidetracking though. All is fair in love and anonymous chat, or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Anonymous could really mess up Russia's cyber plans if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

One thing to note.

NATO's summit yesterday was virtual.

Orbán went out of his way to show up in person, the only leader to, he basically fawned all over Stoltenberg

I imagine he knows now any patience for his tomfúckery going into the future is gone.

Nothing like the actions of an actual psychopathic dictator to scare a wannabe straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

I have made some donations Humanitarian aid to victims of war in Ukraine / United Ukrainian American Relief Committee.

Any suggestions on options to actually fund the Ukrainian government / Military ?

Needs to be paypal ideally and importantly making sure it actually goes to where its needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement