Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

+1000 on the above. More than likely if I was in the box and getting that money I'd have sold so it's hard to know when you're doing the right thing. Sadly with a lot of lad's when they show stock it's because of cash crisis, lack of space, fodder ect and although you always want the best price possible you need to get them sold.

I remember Dad telling me he sold weanlings in a bad autumn trade years back and an older bachelor neighbour accused Dad of giving them away. The same man had a good farm of land, plenty of old money behind him and no one to keep only himself. When Dad mentioned that he'd needed the money to pay the bills and had a wife and young family to support the other man just repeated that they'd be dearer in the spring. The idea of selling stock when you needed the money as opposed to when they were dear was a total foreign concept to the bachelor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

In June 2019, I sold a BWH bullock in the mart 600kgs at €1,100, it was a bad price on the day, but I wasn't going messing about bringing 1 bullock home. A lad I know bought him to feed for a planned 100 days, with the whole beef protest thing he finally got him killed end of October over 30 months. He told me he got €1,115 for him so was out the mart commission & feed cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I bought a good share of 500kg + continental bullocks in the back end of the year. They have done well and are all heading for 600kg. Feedlots seem to be buying up all these heavy bullocks at the minute. . Could chance selling them and probably have €350 plus on them but then would have to start replacing them. There isn’t much value in anything out there at the minute.

That is just it CJ, thankfully I am not looking to buy anything at the minute (in a 4 month test cycle, due another 1 now in March), but everything is very dear and hard to see any value. Seen ropy enough FR's in Carnaross yesterday 500 Kgs - 600 Kgs, they were making anything for €2 - €2.20 /Kg. Very hard to see a return on them to feed, AA and He in the same weight bracket were €2.30 - €2.50 while Continental bullocks €2.70 - €2.95. Beef will have to be at a base of €5 to cover those cost prices. Now I am told anything with flesh cover is heading North for slaughter, which is obviously good and proves the factories can pay for them when they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dozer1

chanced 2 purchases yesterday a really hungry 2016 CH cow 655kgs calving End march to CH bull 1420 and a BBX weanling heifer 310kgs 760, she's dairy cross but nice and square.

the cow is still at the barrier today, there were 6 of them CH cows in the sale I should have bought them all as they were probably value but engaged to calve in April so didn't want to risk them being May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's the kicker here, fantastic prices but more fantastic prices elsewhere.

5 is heading towards the new 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Those Friesians are leaving a nice touch to the lad rearing them. You would buy 250-280 kg for 380-480. Sticking at 1.5-1.7/ acre would leave a nice margin in 12 months. They will probably strengthen in March. Grass and silage, maybe a kg of ration next winter.

Even for the lad buying if you can get to grass in 3-4 weeks those 550-600 kgs ones would be finished in August. At a base of 4.2/ kg they would be making 1400 euro+ for them. A lot of lads buying are using them to draw ANC, a 550 kg friesian now sould kill at or about 400 kg DW next November.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭grange mac

Today's Indo had top quarter 600 +kg contential at 2.95 kg.... Where are those prices as couldn't dream of them in West Cork.

Ye guys up country must be raking it in 😂😂😂

Hi Grange, I had a look at Roscommon there other day,serious good quality cattle, you could close your eyes and buy away, but there was plenty of cattle in it made €2.95 -€3 / kg. But getting them to that is expensive and the suckler cow isn't easy fed either.

€4.45 base for bullocks round here now and €4.50 for u grading bulls.

• Advertisement

I knew you’d be converted. Talking about feeding ration in the winter now. Welcome to the club 😅

If I was taking cattle to the mart in spring I would consider a kg depending on silage quality. As I put on the post ''maybe a kg''. If they were going to grass by myself, there is no way they would get a kg.veven at that if my silage was good enough I would be slow to put ration into them if selling.

A 500+ euro gross margin in twelve months on a yearling to store system is not too bad.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

They’ll be €5 in a months time at this rate .What part of the country?

Ah ye sure Frank & Larry would love to be giving us €5 /kg for beef.. they are well known for their generosity. I hope beef does go to €5 / kg it will make feed on the wet windy evening worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

OH got two phone calls yesterday morning from factory managers that we haven't dealt with in the last 5 years looking for cattle.

You may be sure that their percentage margin is increasing more than ours and if they do end up paying €5 they will more than make it back as they sell the beef on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

4.65kg heifers allegedly available. How far can it keep going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

I think there is more left in it the reason I'm basing this is that alot of forward ish cattle were bought and killed to avail of the price increase in the last while. It's also happening at present say 450 kg animals are bought and put on a fathening diet straight from marts. This works in a rising market. If you see the high kill figures from the start of the year (there was not meant to be that many in the system that early). Thing is with what's happening cattle are going to be dear for some time as a result.

There is a load more cattle to go through the system this year compared to last year. In the region of 150k extra if I remember right.

While demand is very strong I would not be betting the house on it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

That's true for the year as a whole but the weekly kill would have been much lower if prices hadn't taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

460 is best of what I can find.

Though it was closer to 100k and last year had about 20k of that eaten into.

When meal prices rise carcass weight always falls. So add that into more smaller dairyx out there. I'd be hopeful of this running into summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d be thinking the same. I’d love to know the tons of meat going through a week rather than the head count. It would give a much clearer picture. There’s also a lot of dairy men rightly getting rid of culls and poorer performers when the price is good. A lot of them would be killing at very light carcasses. A neighbour here that’s been milking 50-60 cows for the last 50+ years sent 10 culls last week. He’d have been delighted to get a cheque for €8k, he ended up with over €10k. Any dairy farmer would be mad not to cull hard this year with the way inputs are rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

A friend of mine in Kerry sent me a docket from a load he killed during the week, he had 2 home bred red Angus in it. Both graded U-3, €5.02 per kg after all bonuses. It’s nice to see the €5 being broken!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Killed 4 spring 20 born heifers 2 x R+ and 2 U- ......got 4.95 and 5.01

Not necessarily. With present ration prices you cannot afford to over hd cattle. If anything rising prices tend to see finishers holding cattle. A 20c rise in a month can really change the dynamics of finishing a few animals.

Traditionally shed cattle would start to really come out from early mid February. Processor's used to.pull the price in late January to force farmers to start moving them. However by mid February a lot of cattle would be hitting the 90+ days feeding and starting to go stale if on a high ration diet.

No I think its up around 150k. It's was the first year of COVID, export was disrupted from mid late March on AFAIR. The biggest thing is to keep cattle moving. The 20 k extra younger cattle killed last year will probably go higher than that the end of this year.there is a growing trend to kill HE and AA at 20-22 months. That is why the November bonus is going for AA cattle and 30c available late March to May.

It's a flaw in the early bonus finishing plan. Processor's will just keep pulling the price from October if more young cattle are targeted there.

While the omens are good. EU stock numbers back by 2.5% in the last 5+years and demand is growing world wide for beef and meat in general the biggest thing is keeping them moving. However 4.6 base is only 40c up on November price. It's a 120-130/head on traditional breed carcasses and 150 on Suckler bred carcasses. Ration has eaten half of that up. There was no fortune made from winter finished cattle the last 2-3 years. I much prefer to be hanging a heavier carcase in July/August.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

How much, if any, of the price rise attributed to rise in price of diesel?

Diesel is often attributed to be a higher costs than it is in reality. I remember years ago when service companies stated to allow staff to take vans home as opposed to parkong in there own compounds.

An accountant said the extra diesel burned was miniscule. Diesel as a cost was only 1.5% if overall running costs. Saving from other area would off set the extra cost. Yes in agri there is more diesel burned as percentage of costs and energy costs are reflected throughout the system.

However a lot of extra costs are more associated with hoarding and projected future prices. Futures for next autumn effect present prices. If you were a grain farmer or merchant and had a way of storing grain you would not be selling unless present prices reflected some of the future price.

It was much the same with gas. EU fertilizer companies saw it was more profitable to sell there gas than produce fertlizer with it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Did you not say in a separate thread that diesel increases was good for farmers linked to affecting the feed lots more????

• Advertisement

And I still say it. My main point is that as long as farmers are willing to finish cattle out of sheds for large parts of the year that margins on this side of the game will be depressed.

Smaller finishers struggle with higher input costs and on top of that receive 15-30c/ kg less than larger and contracted finishers.

In a grass based system diesel still influences costs bit it influence is less than in high cost feedlot conditions

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement