Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

I met a neighbor this morn who I think his main aim in life is to annoy me. I sold an AA heifer in the mart, fat but middling quality 495kg 1200euro. Good or bad in your view

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

When you say middling quality would you mean O grade or R grade? And when you say fat do you mean fat enough to kill?

If you’re not QA’d you got a good price regardless.

If you are QA’d and she was an O grade you got her value, she’d have killed about 250kgs and made €1,200 to €1,220.

if she was an R grade she’d have killed maybe 8 or 10 kgs more and made €1,240 - €1,280.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭older by the day

Thanks. She was a short round type. That's why I chance the mart mostly I find it very hard to judge. Nothing worse than a fellow saying you would have gotten a better price the day after selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You got 2.42/kg. At 495kgs it highly unlikely she would an R unless she was mud fat. More than likely she would kill O=/,+ and she might fall back to O- but unlikely.

With one you might have to fight hard or have a very good relationship with a agent to even get a base of 4.5/kg. At O= she make 1150, at O+ 1170.

If she fed back to an O- she be 1120and that is if they paid the AA bonus on her.

You did all right with her. You should be able to buy a nice tidy yearling 230/240 kgs for less than 600 euro. You made your margin that is all you can do

Slava Ukrainii

That would indicate a 4.6 base or a 4.5 base and a 20c/ kg bonus for AA. Actually Suckler farmers selling there own AA's get a 20c/ kg bonus not 10 like the rest of us peasants. So 4.5/ kg base.

4.5/ kg + 20c QA, 20c AA bonus and 13c on the grid for U-.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Years ago I saw an article about a large suckker farmer in the UK. His land was very hilly. He use to source FR/BB cows and use a top quality AA bull on them. He used to finish everything. He used have a certain amount of U's in theie calves.

If a lad was using AI on good quality LM heifers he probably get Upgrade AA off them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Would it help if they have inherited a myostatin gene?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Fuel increases I can probably live with but I love your optimism re retaining high fertiliser prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Quoted 4.55 base for steers this week.

Maybe I’m looking at it too short term but on quick calculations my expenses will rise by €8k this year and output at €4.50 base will see increase of €5k. That’s €3k loss at the exact same input. I need beef at €5 base to effectively break even and above that to see increased profit.

I would be fairly confident that beef will see a steady increase but even at €5 which is not break even really as most farmers claim to be bordering loss making at last years input/output, all its doing is increasing the financial risk that farmers are carrying.

hope your right though and not me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

TB test is out mid March and looking to try get some cattle away this week if possible…is their any restriction to selling before test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Killed cattle last year on the morning of the test. Didn’t think there was any issue with

Beef farming is all about controlling costs. There is too much emphasis on output often and not enough on cost control.

There has already been advice to dairy farmers to cull marginal cows and to in general cull cows by at least 10% . This will cut inputs by 20-30% maybe more.

Beef is the same, maybe close less silage ground buy less store next autumn. Consider culling 10-20% of suckker cows if you are in a higher costs system.

Everything is about adaptation. As much as we may suffer feedlot systems based on grains and cheap.inputs will suffer harder. If pig and poultry producers are struggling with costs feedlots cannot cope with less efficient animals.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

I have often killed on morning of test its not a problem

Haven’t gave cards to the vet for years either. Think a lot depends on the practice.

Tested last week. He had extra cattle on his system that we had killed the previous week. It wasn’t an issue though. They must have downloaded from the Cmms a few days before the test when the cattle were still in the herd.

the extra cost is primarily fert increase. Normal year fert bill is €5k and on 60 acres I wouldn’t think excessive. Same amount this year will be €12 k (not that I’ll be shaking same amount 😞😞) not overly concerned about meal increases as I feed very little anyways

Another example is slurry spread. Put out with pipe last two years for €500 - €800 cost for this year for the same amount.

Have invested huge amount in farm over last 5-10 years to make it handier as mainly a one man band here. But nearing a point now that it’s Normal maintenance cost now. Would always be conscious of cost but not feasible for me to reduce to the extent of the cost of increases- harsh reality of farming just now.

the big concern I’d have with rising cattle prices is farmers get accustomed to same and invest in stock/winter finishing/fert/etc and then a sharp price drop comes. Remember it’s not so long ago that beef was €3.40. Imagine trying to pay a merchant bill for fert and meal on the back of something like that.

anyways, not disagreeing with you re costs and all that but just don’t think it’s not as simple as high price increase of inputs is necessarily good for us farmers.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/calls-for-2000-fertiliser-vouchers-to-be-issued-to-farmers-41394863.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Have to agree, as bad as it is here, the giant feedlots in the world are going to be hit very hard and same with the big lots here and in Europe.

Many of the biggest in the world in America and Mexico depend on cheap maize from 2k miles away, brought in by train

The highly productive high input and efficient system was working for every one but the lad scraping out the cow shi7.

Even for those doing well, cow numbers going up to stand still.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Done same here, 2 weeks ago. She came back to me asking about animals on the system that weren't tested. I said wha?, Describe them, explained and that was that

First off I am not having a cut at sucklers. However there economics is very hard to understand. Prices seldom increase without costs increasing as well. i was always of the opinin that sucklers needed a price of 4.5/KG++ with rations costs of below 230/ton and fertlizer below 400/ton. Your turnover is limited to one animal which pay for the costs of over 2 animals. Assuming a 95%/weaning rate you are looking at 19 calves out of 20 cows in a 12 month period. If you allow the replacement costs are covered by culls (very low cow losses needed) a weanling needs to cover the costs of 1.05 cows and 0.025 bulls ( one bull to 40 cows). So a suckler bull or heifer must cover the cost of 1.075 adult animals and there own costs as well. This would be in an efficent system, average herd in Ireland is below 20 at present and weaning rate is 80%/year.

Even in an efficent system and assuming you finish the product (both heifers and bullocks) to an average of 400 kgs its leaves a turnover of 2200@4.5/kg divided by 1.075 is 2046 euro. You will carry two calf to beef units where you carry a single suckler unit. A 330 kg AA or HE with bonuses will hit the same price as a Continental or nearly 1500 euro. Assuming calves @ 225/head it leaves a gross margin of 2550 to take costs out of. Next year these cattle will be in line for the 100/head government early slaughter subsidity and if you take AIBP 20C bonus you are another 66 euro ahead. Total gross margin is now 2880. AIBP has a 400KG weight limit on the Bonus scheme so it will effect the suckler calf output, I was allowing for the heifer to be killing lighter than the bullock maybe 360&440. So to gain the extra output you average weight may drop to 380 average, your output now including AIBP bonus and your 100 euro early slaughter is 1900 euro or 1760 allowing for 1.075 average unit size.

No matter what way I hit the figures on sucklers I cannot make them work. I could never make them work even when costs were lower. You are looking at over 1100 euro in extra output from a calf to beef system compared to a suckler system allowing for all efficiencies. I am not saying here is any fortune to be made but dairy cross beef figures just stack uo compared to it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The vet testing has to account for every animal on the husky on the day and put in a reason for the animal not tested on the day to up load the test results.

• Advertisement

As Bass said it was €4.50 base, 0.20 QA, 0.20 AA bonus and 0.12 grade bonus. The quality in his Angus comes from a BB influence. The same man got between €1700 - €2080 for 420-450 kg heifers in an E/U grade sale last October.

Base price has gone up 10 cent since so even an R- Angus will make €5 now, €4.60 base, 0.20 QA and 0.20 AA bonus. There must be plenty of Angus breaking the €5 every day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

What is the 10 and 8 cent bonus about?

I'm still getting a base price 460, breed bonus 20 or 30 qa 20 and work from there on the grid

In the midlands here and what Epff has stated is the norm in all the factories around here. €4.60 base for heifers, 20 cent QA, 20 cent Angus and whatever on the grid then after that.

Any man that allows his cattle leave his yard 26 hours before slaughter doesn’t deserve to be well paid for them. Stupid would be too mild a description to use there.

Also I’ve mentioned I’m from the midlands plenty of times, it wouldn’t be that hard to know what factories are in the midlands, there’s not that many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Post edited by DukeCaboom on

I’d say you’re better off away from him. He sounds like a man that doesn’t understand much about cattle and could try say it was your fault for not buying the right cattle or something like that. Leave him to his own devices i’d say.

Also there’s no need to have cattle travelling up and down the country like that in my opinion, that’s doing nothing only driving up your haulier bill and having diesel being burnt for nothing. Lads would be much better off building a relationship with a more local factory and stick with that. I know I keep harping on about it but weighing stock and understanding how they kill and where they kill best based on different breeds and quality is fierce important in a game of such tight margins. The extra 5 or 10 cent a kg that tempts lads to a different factory is sometimes the most costly 10 cent you could have.

To give an example from the 4 factories around here I’d have U grade heifers kill out at 58-60% of their live weight in one, with the best ever being 62%, and the same type of U grade heifers only killing 53-55% in the worst. A 700kg heifer would kill out 420kgs in the best plant, say she comes to €4.80/kg that’s €2,016.

in the worst plant she’d only kill 385kgs, that’s 35kgs less. Divide that 385kgs into the €2,016 and and I’d need to be getting €5.24/kg to come home with the same money, €0.44/kg extra! What good is 5 or 10 cent now.

Post edited by DBK1 on

Would have heard stories about there plants before. None of them good

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree with a lot your saying about killing cattle, a lot of men don’t ask enough questions about what time cattle are being killed on the day, with bullocks first or heifers after etc, one guy that kills heifers always has his cattle in about one hour before the go to the line and is two hours from the factory. Makes a phone call to a lad in the pens and checks on progress. The same guy will tell you what grade and killout each heifer will do when alive and all down to following his cattle up the line regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

How much was a 28 month old U-4=, 421kg bullock worth last August?

• Advertisement

Looking back over kill sheets I Think they were making roughly €4.15 plus 20cent plus .12 on the grid. So €4.47 a kg €1881 before deductions.

Advertisement