Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't know what's going on but please bear the charter in mind when posting here. I've erased two posts which are below the forum standard. Please do not engage with new accounts posting suspiciously.

Thanks.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just a further note. I'll try and look into what's going on in the Current Affairs forum. However, it is a weekend and I have limited access.

Best,

ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I intend to moderate this thread but it will not be deleted. I don't know what is going on but the Politics forum appears to be unaffected.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Just a quick question if the are a in the system are our details freely available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

It’s already bad for Ukraine - they’ve been invaded by a superior ( in terms of equipment and numbers ) force. There’s street to street fighting in the capitol. There’s huge loss of life and damage. If Putin really wants to he could raze it to the ground ala Grozny. Should NATO have gone in ? - not without creating WW3. Should they have implemented a no fly zone - I think yes others will argue against citing the chance of escalation. Having said that weapons / food / ammo / medical supplies are being supplied and will continue to be supplied. The west do not want Ukraine to fail - there are talks of continuing to supply a resistance force if Ukraine falls. I can’t see Ukraine being abandoned as you claim - it’s too close to Europe geographically and politically. None of the above which changes the fact that it’s bad for Ukraine right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Putin is done. If you honestly think it will be business as usual in a few month's time then I don't know what more I can say.

You don't get to start a war in Europe and expect to get away with it. It's just not going to happen. I

I guess you were one of those posters calling everyone to calm down when the invasion was about the happen, and now that's happened, being contrarian about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Potentially. I'd recommend changing your password if you are concerned.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Detritus70

This is all your opinion. And you are in a minority of one.

We have taken note of your opinion and it has been rejected.

If you wrote several papers and books how you don't think Zelenskyy stacks up as a politician, it wouldn't matter and not change anyone's mind.

And he has certainly done more than all the big-mouth heroes who know everything so much better from behind their keyboard thousands of miles away. Who would have filled their underpants within one second of the first shell exploding had they been in Ukraine.

So maybe remove your cranium from your posterior.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Advertisement

Posts are being restored in the CA forum.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ultimately I would have absolutely no problem with, in a few years' time, a rapprochement with Russia. Russia are an important European nation. They have a lot to offer the rest of Europe, economically, politically and culturally. In fact, given the rhetoric from Russia re: NATO seems to be focused on Anglo-American influence, during the period 2016-2020 there was potential scope for Russia and the EU to vastly improve relations with the UK out of the EU and the USA run by Trump. Certainly I would have had no problem with any of that, and having a good relationship with Russia goes far beyond gas and oil, though that is an obvious manifestation of such closer ties (e.g. Nordstream-2).

I say all this because the main precondition of improved EU-Russian relations was, is and will continue to be peace in Europe. It wasn't an easy option for the EU to impose sanctions. No one is really suggesting that the EU-27 has aggressive intent towards Russia. They had no choice given what Russia has done.

Looking into the future, I would hope that we do have a rapprochement with Russia. But it is absolutely essential that such can only occur if Russia show that they are committed to peace in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You can accuse away, make all sorts of assumptions, I've made made my feelings on Putin abundantly clear. We'll see out this ends but I wouldn't have the confidence you have re Putins Demise .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Charming but predictable , we'll see how it all turns out .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It wouldn't be the first time someone has gotten things wrong on boards

Putin put himself in a deep hole and now all thats left is to fill it in and no more putin ,

There is no come back from this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think now is the time for NATO to draw a line in the sand -

Any weapon of mass destruction ( including thermobaric ) on any civilian areas and it's air war over Ukraine -

No equivocation , no ifs no buts - just if that then this ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Of course you dont....

You cannot be wrong I guess.

• Advertisement

This was known about for a few days but official confirmation now.

And of course your assuming your right 🙄

We will just have to wait and see but in the mean time, I won't resort to childish snide comments. It's fascinating how differing opinions tend to cause such offence and angst.

I've expressed my opinion, agree to disagree , heavens above people can't have an opinion that may upset the narrative.

It just amazes me that people find it so difficult to look back and see how international leadership have dealt with putin in the past and at least wonder, is this likely to end as every other agressive action by Putin has ended, Namely

Putin 10 ,

international diplomacy 0

Now, off to watch the Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Devastating images of women and children crossing into Poland and Romania . People handing them food and clothing is just incredibly sad to watch . Families like us uprooted and trying to protect their children in Europe today

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Detritus70

It is predictable, because it's pretty much the consensus of a vast majority of people.

Having a dissenting opinion is interesting when someone can convincingly back it up.

But simply having a dissenting opinion to be clever and edgy marks that person out to be neither.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭amacca

Will Russia ultimately become a vassal state of China because of this as some political analysts are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

uk and netherlands talking today about urgently booting russians from swift momentum gathering ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

I am ashamed of the lack of action of the EU. The only swift item they should be talking about is action. Cutting off financials for Russia, a limp wrists, pathetic effort that Putin is laughing at. Too little to help Ukraine in time but sure off you go for another blow dry there Ursula….

Why is it always the females who fall in for the smart arse sneering comments - the four hold outs on swift were - Germany , Italy, Hungary and Cyprus - all represented by male heads of state. 🤷‍♀️ I get it’s frustrating but does anyone seriously think Ursula ….. has been dodging off to get her hair done ? Why not call out Orban with his close ties to Russia or one of the other 3 ?

I've made no effort to be clever but have dared to have a different opinion on how this will all end, I've also not resorted to childish Moronic comments in defence of my opinion. But as we both know, insults appear to be the only defence some people have to justify their opinion.

This all said , an independent TD , former Army ranger , Cathal Berry has bizzarely just suggested we send over anti tank weapons 🙄, this follows on from a Government TD (James Lawless) suggesting Ireland should Join Nato 🙄, notwithstanding Ireland can't even fully staff it's Naval Service both seem to have forgotten , Ireland is infact a Neutral Country, Actually Simon Coveney also appears to have forgotten this Too 😳

Surreal turning into farce now.

• Advertisement

Are we a neutral country? As in, is there a constitutional or legislative basis for this?

Advertisement