Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Agromash comes to mind well known in Russia ans eastern Europe not so sure how much vehicles they export to western Europe and here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Maybe. The tyres definitely had 'Made in Russia' on them (embossed). And, hey, Belarus is just another part of Russia nowadays:) Next time I see the tractor in question I'll take a better look

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Noteworthy that Shoygu wasn't on the sanctions list.

Could be a low-key message from the West along the lines of: "we know you're a soldier just taking orders, so there's a road out for you here."

Edit: my mistake, I thought he was left off the sanctions list. He's on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

It's childishly immature posts like this that only dilutes any gravitas that this forum may have. Can we all try to keep things on the level and on point.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,403 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Or just clear cookies and don't agree to the ads..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

They need to give time for non combatants to move out of the way. Create a refugee crisis in neighbouring countries and then the Russian B team that's there at the moment will move over for the A team.

That's my guess.

The Russians that are there at the moment are going in very soft so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Russia only a few miles from the centre of Kiev with tanks artillery etc.

Gonna get messy very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The more I think of it, the more this doesn't make any sense from the Russian point of view.

They want to take Kiev and the other big cities. Install a puppet government and everything will be fine.

So who is going to police the country? Who will the army be?

Back in 2014 they effectively had to give up because they knew it was either a case of Government stepping down or the police units would have to slaughter the protesters. They were not leaving the Maidan unless it was one or the other. All they had then was bricks, petrol bombs and there were a handful of snipers (who were possibly sabateurs). Now they have guns.

So just say Russia win in a week or a months time. Who are they going to set up as the Ukrainian police force? Who will be their Ukrainian army? The Ukrainians have been handed millions of guns. Who on earth is going to take up a job as a police man?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

With reports of 2 big transport planes being shot down last night I though we would of seen some proof today. Surely alot of debris from 2 big planes being brought down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I honestly think it's scary. Nothing about Putin suggests that hell back away quietly. The only thing is if it gets bad I think the Russians will turn on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Richard Hillman So who is going to police the country? Who will the army be?

They want the Ukrainian military to be dis banded and all offensive weapons returned, a new government will be installed and Russian peacekeepers permanently based in Ukraine to deter Nato aggression against Ukraine.

Ukraine will then announced as a neutral state

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've a couple of Russian made vintage watches and somewhere I have a clock from a MIG fighter. They were going for buttons back in the 90's. Funny enough though I have a few bits and bobs of IT stuff that's "American", they're all made in China. The only actual American made things I have are again a couple of vintage watches(WW1* and 1930's) and a fishing reel I bought in the late 1980's. The company that made the latter has like so many sinced upped sticks to China. That America let their wealthy offshore manufacturing is IMHO nothing short of daft and even economically treasonous.

*Even funnier enough one watch was made by a US company who after the Depression put them in the red sold their machinery lock stock and barrel(30 train carriages full!) to the Soviet Union in the 1930's and sent a couple of dozen American technicians to set up the factory and kickstarted Soviet watch production. Sounds minor today, but before the universal time everywhere we have now it was of vital importance, not least militarily(time coordination, fuses and the like). After WW1 one of the restrictions placed on Germany was they couldn't produce 'military' watches. After they started to rearm they bought loads of them on the sly from Switzerland as 'private' sales.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Speaking as a former mod, we don't have access to that kind of info at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I seriously doubt he would do something so rash, and I'm quite sure his generals would stop him. As they found out an 'easy' win is turnin out to be anything but. If they then tried to invade somewhere else when the Ukrainian campaign is already bogging down, never mind the huge risks of involving NATO it would be suicide.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

What are the steps for a Nuclear launch by Russia? I'm aware of the US one ( from whatever open source material is out there).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Putin has completely lost control of his senses and gone on a solo run.

His security council, global partners and troops have all displayed body language and said things that indicate they may not be on board or indeed understand fully the goal.

This makes the situation much more dangerous. Putin's allies like China may even be working with the West in the background.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah if we get to the point of actual NATO involvement we might all be looking for bunkers to hide in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Missile hitting an apartment block near Kyiv's main airport. It tore a hole in the building over 5 stories high.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,855 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the full scale attack on Kyiv hasn’t happened yet but the former president of Ukraine said the Russians were 2km away from where he was in Kyiv and that was a few hours ago now. So is it fair to assume that it will happen tonight and tomorrow ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Orban and Erdogan even bailed on him.

He is so fu**ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

It seems the Belarussian army was held back. Given that their only experience is beating up women carrying flowers in Minsk it is probably just as well for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Kyiv been pretty quiet today apparently, but lots of explosions starting to be heard over the last 15 mins.

Tonight gonna be pretty bad I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,855 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And the fact he’s becoming more isolated is the worry. What’s he got to lose exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

That's what concerns me. Ramzan Kadyrov has confirmed that several thousand Chechen rosgvardiya or national guard units are being deployed to Ukraine to "secure" the occupied territories. Given the record of Chechen internal security forces, their record of murder, torture and rape, I am extremely worried about any Ukrainians that are left in occupied territories.It seems as if the aim is to "pacify" Ukraine by either breaking the population or eliminating it entirely.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

I hate to be horrible but if it does get truly nasty by the Russians it's important the Western Media find a way to relay this to the Russian people. Not sure how they'll do it but it might put pressure on the regime over a war it seems the ordinary Russian don't want. Hopefully this invasion is the last sting of a dying wasp

Actually what has stood out for me so far in this invasion is how the Russians seem to be generally avoiding civilians and civilian targets. Now that's good for the optics, but Russian forces also generally don't seem to give a crap about that looking at their record elsewhere. The videos out there with Russian soldiers and Ukrainian civilians in captured areas, even joking going on like the guy who stopped his car beside the broken down transporter and joked he could tow them back to Russia and they all laughed. I'm getting the distinct impression that the ordinary Russian conscript isn't so down with this at all and the Ukrainians are a little too close to home for them. They're not like 'exotic' Chechens they can 'other' so easily. And maybe one reason why Putin has sent Chechen murder gangs in is that they would have no such scruples.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They have a reputation for being very soft

The tractors rather than the bulls arses that is. Although whatever you are into yourself I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭This is it

It might be slow, but you'd have to think the heavy Russian equipment isn't yet at the front line? Incredibly brave people that are still in Kyiv. I want nothing more than for them to repel Russian attacks and drive them back but what will the cost be, thousands of lives I'd fear. Awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'm reading RT/TASS and Interfax news. Looks like Russians found a way to a parallel universe and they are with peace keeping mission there. The Snake Island bombing didn't happen, all are safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement