Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

The last few years our political class seem to be trotting around the globe looking after all and sundry...except doing the one job they're elected to do, look after the interests of the the Irish people, people who have paid into and contributed to the foundations of the state...they're globalists now

Post edited by Freight bandit on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Came across this shite, I can't think of a single place in Ireland you are not allowed to go to because you are white, what's more, worrying is the comments & likes this video has.

This is what most people mean tho when they say they're anti-multiculturalism, there actually just pro-white & anti-colour

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Wow that's quite sad. No surprise about the comments and likes as we see how these people act on here and it's what you would call an echo chamber. I just find this particular lad a pretty sad case because he looks like my grandad and at that age I think you've lived so long that you deserve to take it easy and enjoy a simple life with your family around. I hope he has this and isn't absorbed into the echo chamber rabbit hole online. I think it's probably how a lot of the "alt right" crowd on here will end up, old and alone and spouting on about this stuff. Posting and the childish liking each others posts stuff in this thread well into their 80s lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We do have enough of all those things you claim we don't.

We absolutely do not. We're one quarter of a trillion euros in debt.

we just have government that don't govern right.

Agreed, and the opposition are no better at all.

nothing to do with people from other countries and everything to do with our own government

It's a bit of both - we've the mega-rich speculators from abroad purchasing everything we build up for a song aided by our government, we also have welfare leeches from abroad who our government will not deport despite having the legislation to do so.

But it's par for the course in Ireland, the working and middle classes are leeched from the bottom by welfare spongers and from the top by the silver-spooners who invent every trick to avoid paying their share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

One question the supporters of these policies will never answer is... how many can come here before we say enough? Put a figure on it.

But they won't. They want unlimited immigration and they don't want an expiry date on that either.

This is what most people mean tho when they say they're anti-multiculturalism, there actually just pro-white & anti-colour

Because, of course, the complexity of human thought and expression, can be boxed into such a simple and binary category. Absolute rubbish.

I've lived in Africa. I've lived in Asia. In the last two decades, I've spent more time living among non-white people than I have with white people. Most of my romantic relationships have been with non-white people. The same again for my friendships. And because I am against the modern sense of multiculturalism, I'm some kind of pro-white racist? Oh, I noted you said most, but that's just a play on words to excuse your own intolerance.

The funny thing is that this thread shows just how inferior the arguments for multiculturalism have been. Your contribution above is a perfect example. You haven't countered the objections made in this thread. Instead, you've found one voice expressing their own narrow views, and decided that represented "most" people that opposed your views.

This is just another deflection, in a very long line of deflections.

So weak are the arguments for multi-culturalism that the advocates of such policies resort to attacking those with differing opinions. They level accusations of racism as their default argument, and usually it's the only argument they've got. All of your concerns about immigration are really deep rooted/subconscious racist thoughts and you're abusing your white privilege or some shyte like that when bringing up your points they'll insist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The only place you won't see multiculturalism in Ireland is in property advert.

• Advertisement

They are when they get invited to the regular Civic Citizenship Ceremonies, a few thousand every year. These started in 2011.

If someone decides to apply for citizenship of this country, then they should be entitled to vote in the exact same way as every other citizen.

Of course asylum seekers are not eligible for citizenship either......

Of course, not everyone wishes to become Irish citizens, which should be encouraged of course.

If someone decides to apply for citizenship of this country, then they should be entitled to vote in the exact same way as every other citizen.

Eh no. In time we will see groups of different cultures become large enough to sway elections. Would you like to see the Marriage Equality Referendum be put back on the table for another vote because a large enough cultural group here wants it gone? Be careful of what you wish for.

Of course asylum seekers are not eligible for citizenship either......

Fake News and mis-information:

person granted refugee status can apply for citizenship through naturalisation once they have 3 years of residency. Residency is calculated from the date of arrival in the State

From: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/becoming_an_irish_citizen_through_naturalisation.html#l7e9cb

Of course, not everyone wishes to become Irish citizens, which should be encouraged of course.

Why should we be encouraging people to become Irish citizens? We're a nation not a football supporters club.

Asylum seekers are not refugees. Your the one with fake news I'm afraid.

Yes if someone is a citizen of a country of course they should have a vote in how it is run. You know the marriage referendum was to amend the constitution yes?

Why should we encourage people to become citizens? Because people who are citizens of a country tend to see that country as home, they are likely to stay, perhaps have families and become valuable members of society. Why would we not encourage people to care about the country? Do you want a migrant population, living here for a few years, moving on again, having no interest in the country, or not caring about the country or its population.

And that's what's happening, I can think of one particular expat/migrant group on Facebook who love to berate this country and its people, post a nice image of Irish countryside or attraction will garner 40 or 50 likes....Post something denigrating Ireland and it attracts hundreds of likes.These people see Ireland in economic terms only,they'll never be Irish and don't want to be.We're really going to fcuk this country up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Multiculturalism is just a euphemism for fewer Europeans, that's all it boils down to in effect.

I've never seen a latter day twitter shinner championing multiculturalism in Palestine, South Africa or any other non European nation. Nor will you see them extolling the virtues of the plantation of the North.

What was it Pearse said? Not only free but Gaelic? He must have been a Narrow Nationalist according to Mary Lou. 😂

Now that we have an actual war in Europe ( We've been told that we're good Europeans after all) with actual European refugees we'll have f***k all ability to cope with them due to the amount of chancers we've taken in to show what good sorts we are.

Asylum seekers are not refugees. Your the one with fake news I'm afraid.

It barely makes a difference in Ireland https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30920320.html with 85% getting to stay on here.

Yes if someone is a citizen of a country of course they should have a vote in how it is run. You know the marriage referendum was to amend the constitution yes?

With the current laissez-faire approach to giving citizenship I don't think voting rights should be extended so easily. You know the constitution can be amended at any time - marriage vote can be reversed again.

Why should we encourage people to become citizens? Because people who are citizens of a country tend to see that country as home, they are likely to stay, perhaps have families and become valuable members of society. Why would we not encourage people to care about the country? Do you want a migrant population, living here for a few years, moving on again, having no interest in the country, or not caring about the country or its population

Encouraging more people to come here is putting further strain on services, I've listed lots of reasons including housing, healthcare, education and welfare earlier in this thread as to why it's a bad idea to continue with unrestricted migration and our laissez-faire asylum/refugee system. You chose to ignore most of that though.

Of course it makes a difference. Unless you believe all non Irish people are the same. An asylum seeker is not a refugee.

What is the lassaiz faire attitude to citizenship and in what world do you think it could be acceptable for citizens of a country to not be allowed vote?

Nobody is ever putting a clause back into the constitution in relation to marriage. Crazy to even suggest otherwise.

I cannot even take you serious because I explain why it's a good idea for people living in a country to become citizens, you then talk about encouraging people to come here and then continue to speak about asylum seekers and refugees, when you don't even understand the difference. And the point that anyone who wishes to become a citizen of Ireland must obviously already be a resident of the country 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I have been watching images of Ukrainian refugees on TV.

Almost all terrified women and children.

They appear in stark contrast to the hordes of well fed, well dressed young men who have rampaged through Europe to the points of greatest welfare payments over the last few years as part of the bogus "refugee crisis". The movement of this ocean of humanity has been characterised by fraud and violence.

It highlights to me what an absolute, shameful scam our asylum industry is.

The tragedy is that our capacity to aid the Ukrainian nation is greatly diminished by our immoral accommodation of a multitude of liars and criminals.

Something I pointed out long ago on this thread,normally when you see refugees it's a mix of male,female,kids and the elderly...what we seen the last few years is a majority of young males nearly 95% in most pictures or videos...which as has been pointed out makes it harder for genuine refugees

• Advertisement

Of course it makes a difference. Unless you believe all non Irish people are the same. An asylum seeker is not a refugee.

There is little difference in the outcomes for Asylum Seekers arriving in Ireland. The article I linked above shows that only 10 were sent back out of a figure of 1,275 that arrived here in 2018 - but I guess you never bothered to read it?

What is the lassaiz faire attitude to citizenship and in what world do you think it could be acceptable for citizens of a country to not be allowed vote?

See my previous post about Citizenship Ceremonies. I don't think it's acceptable for voting rights to be extended to new citizens, especially in large numbers, when their influence could change our country. Would you for instance like to see Sharia Law being introduced to Ireland, would you like to see laws enacted such as the LGBT free zones that sprung up in Poland?

Nobody is ever putting a clause back into the constitution in relation to marriage. Crazy to even suggest otherwise.

Can you be so sure? I'll have the six numbers to Wednesday night's lotto there while you're at it! Problem is with advocates for open-borders policy is they are so naïve to think that nothing bad will happen, or Ireland will do multi-culturalism differently than the UK, France, Germany, USA, etc... where they've first hand experiences of how it doesn't work.

I cannot even take you serious because I explain why it's a good idea for people living in a country to become citizens, you then talk about encouraging people to come here and then continue to speak about asylum seekers and refugees, when you don't even understand the difference.

You don't take me serious because you've no serious counter argument to any of the points I raised earlier, you won't address any of them, Funny that. You think that saying I don't understand the difference between asylum seekers and refugees is some sort of 'gotcha' moment. I've explained above that when it comes to Ireland's open border policy, the distinguishment between the two is very thin and blurred.

And the point that anyone who wishes to become a citizen of Ireland must obviously already be a resident of the country 🙄

Like I said, we're not a football supporters club, we're a nation - one that should be respected and maintained for the people who have resided here for centuries.

Maintained for people who have lived here for generations?

Now I know there is no point talking to you.

Also, a gotcha? Pretty strange way of thinking. Facts are facts. You either don't distinguish between asylum seekers and refugees because you are wilfully ignorant or just don't actually care about the truth.

Yes, maintained for the people who have lived here through thick and thin and have made this country what it is today despite it's ills.

I extend the same wishes for the peoples of any other country around the world - The Norwegians, that their country be the best for the Norwegian peoples; The Nigerians, that their country be the best for the Nigerian peoples; The Japanese, that their country be the best for the Japanese peoples, and so forth...

I don't hold the opinion that mass immigration into any country is good for that country. There should be strict criteria for anyone crossing any border to set up home elsewhere.

This is what the open borders advocates think:

They don't even want us flying the tri-colour in case it's offensive. These types have some things in common with the DUP up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Citizenship should be maintained for people Who have lived in a country for generations. Do you realise how off the wall that sounds?

I'm also interested to know why you think a country's citizens will automatically be the best people for that country. Some of them will, some of them definitely won't. What about Irish that have moved somewhere else for a lifetime? Should their citizenship be taken away from them?

It's strange that you believe a country should be the best, just for those people that have lived there for generations! Should every country strive to be the best for all people living there? Why would you suggest a two tier society? Perhaps we should split it into pure blood Irish (generations never leaving the island) and a section of society who are less important, a non Irish blood, or not so pure Irish blood section?

A Dublin live click bait title that doesn't really reflect what the councillor actually said. I'm shocked 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

It seems to reflect exactly that the Councillor said, in fact he said more

"I would prefer to see the red flag fly outside County Hall and maybe in the future that will be the case"

He did, but not in relation to the Irish tricolour. And I don't believe he said anything about open borders as the poster suggested.

• Advertisement

Citizenship should be maintained for people Who have lived in a country for generations. Do you realise how off the wall that sounds?

Yeah totally off the wall for the likes of Matthew Waine and his merry band of supporters. Thankfully these types consistently get stuck at 2% in the share of votes.

I'm also interested to know why you think a country's citizens will automatically be the best people for that country.

Generally they will as their family and communities will promote values that have sustained them down through the generations.

Some of them will, some of them definitely won't.

Absolutely. We tend to screen out bad citizens in Ireland and put the seriously bad ones in prison. We don't however really screen anyone coming into the country, do we?

What about Irish that have moved somewhere else for a lifetime? Should their citizenship be taken away from them?

Whataboutery! Whatever other countries do in extending citizenship and rights to Irish people is a matter for that 'somewhere else'. This thread is about multiculturalism in Ireland.

It's strange that you believe a country should be the best, just for those people that have lived there for generations!

Again, once you detach yourself from the manifestos of the likes of Matthew Waine, you'll eventually come to understand that most people believe that a country should be the best for all of it's birthright citizens.

Should every country strive to be the best for all people living there?

Mad idea isn't it? Imagine, a country whose government worked actively for the interests and welfare of it's citizens instead of pandering to globalist agendas.

Why would you suggest a two tier society?

Because the alternative is awarding the full compliment of services available in this state to anyone who walks out the front door of the arrivals hall in Dublin Airport.

Perhaps we should split it into pure blood Irish (generations never leaving the island) and a section of society who are less important, a non Irish blood, or not so pure Irish blood section?

Nah, an Irish birth certificate (genuine one, not forged) can suffice.

Advertisement