Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight for Ireland?

• 26-02-2022 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭

Looking at the awful scenes in the Ukraine and the calls for all the men to fight for the country got me thinking of what I would do if the same thing happened here in Ireland.

If there was a call to take up arms and fight for Ireland would you do it?

Honest answer, I'd probably shite myself if I was asked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Just load every man in the country with pints and Jager bombs and you'll find plenty willing to fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The ones that got the council houses should step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

To begin with those Ukrainians are tough as nails compared to the overly pampered Irish anyway. They had a rough old time in WW2 and then Soviet rule. Plenty of pedigree for this kind of thing.

A friend of mine's nephew was arrested a while back for being in some muppet wannabe IRA crowd called the 32ers or something, I was asking him earlier if his neph is signing up in Ukraine to fight against imperialism which I'm sure they're so vehemently against. Doubt they'd last 5 minutes out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Michael D would lead us into battle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

If Mehole, Leaky Leo and their cronies stepped up first I'd like to think I would follow them.

If not I'd probably just step aside and watch Putin take over and maybe even do a better job of them two clowns at running the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

These wanna be 'RA types are only good for licensing hard working drug dealers and beating women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

That is almost funny, a little leprechaun propped up by bags of money and living life like a queen. He couldn’t battle to wipe his own hole if he had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm guessing you don't really do Irish history ! We have been invaded, and planted 4 times. And ,yes, we finally rebelled. Many men took up arms, and women too. Including my grand parents. If it happens again I probably would in a backseat way , as I can't really walk and definitely not run :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Too soft now. A bit like boxers who now sleep in silk bed sheets, that fire inside is not there.

Anyone who has done paintball will know just how difficult it is to avoid getting hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭backwards_man

I would like to think I would fight. But have never been tested in that regard so no idea if I could actually kill someone. The reality of doing it is frightening. But if I was literally defending my home and family I think I would find the nerve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It won't be like two armies facing each other on a battlefield. Sign up as a suicide bomber to keep up with modern warfare.

Haha, I said a few days ago I could already hear people in Ireland say "Sure they'd be no worse anyway" if we were invaded. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Under the current regime? Absolutely not.

It's a generalisation but not racism please stop making everything about race.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭helto

Throughout our history, we've stood up and fought against foreign invaders and attack. Just recently brave Irish men and women stood up to the attack from British forces in the 6 counties. They sent over 1,000 of them home in body bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The Irish fishermen weren't afraid to stand up to the Russian's so just give all the guns to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It could all be settled with another Conor vs Khabib fight, this time a fight to the death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Reminds me of the bit in Angela's Ashes where the father would come home drunk in the middle of the night and get the children up and make them promise to fight for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Get outta that. Don't fu^k with Mickey-D.

Have ya never seen Lord of the Rings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

He would take Putin on man to man in a poetry battle!

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If the last 2 years have thought me anything, its that most Irish folk should not be considered brave, and they will choose avoiding risk at all cost's in order to feel safe.

"To hell or to Connaught!" And some people actually choose to live in Mayo

We will do as we are told be the man/woman in power!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Amias

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ah fcuk it

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Can we just get a mod to shut this thread down now. Please. Like what the ****. Asking people to die in a thread **** right off. ****

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SigriStarter

So long as nobody took my pint while I was gone, shur t'would probably only take a few minutes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Easy there now , just climb out of the trench and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'd like to think I would, but that is something that I think a lot of Irish people would say at first. We've never really faced the reality of war or been in the position of defending against a foreign army of this magnitude. And before people start bringing up Northern Ireland or British Rule, the Russians are a different kettle of fish I think. We'd be completely overwhelmed and outmatched by the Russian military in a conventional war, so at best we'd have to fight a guerrilla war against them and hope that our European neighbors and perhaps the Americans would lend a helping hand. We'd lose against Russia on our own but I suppose those who fought in the War for Independence also had to face that possibility 100 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Put a Chicken Fillet Roll between an Irish Man and a Russian, and the Russian will be sent home roaring.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

What part of 'new irish' isn't about race? I'm not making it about race, the poster that said it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

enemy would unconditionally surrender inside a day if he promised to shut up

You seem to be assuming new Irish = non white. The vast majority of new Irish are of Eastern European heritage. White people.

I would fight for the land in which I feel at home for sure. But somehow I do not think I feel like I would be fighting for "Ireland". The older I get the less I feel I understand what that word even means. And national anthems seem weirder and weirder to me the more I hear them.

I will fight for my homeland. But "ireland" as a concept has little meaning for me these days. Though I do cry like a baby EVERY time I listen to that time Finbar furey and Christy Dignam sing together. And I dont know why.

I've spent the last 15 years training how to fight though. hand to hand mostly. Bo Staff and knife also. It's a simple and happy fact though that life never gives me any reason or cause to actually fight anyone that often. The less the better I feel. I know I can do it and I can do it pretty damn well. I just hope I never have to.

It's a weird feeling to walk around the world with a skill I feel proficient in but never want to actually use. Unlike Guitar players :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@vriesmays do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The closest home analogy would be if Boris went a bit madder than he is and decided that NI as six counties was a bit small and decided to add Cavan, Monaghan & Donegal to restore Ulster etc. If we objected to this (though logically we could give Donegal to them and save a few bob!) and then Boris invaded us with an overwhelming army etc., how would we deal with it?

One thing that this situation does throw up sadly in Ukraine and likely similarly here, is that for all the talk of gender equality.. when push comes to shove it's the men of fighting age that are conscripted and expected to fight, 16-60 in Ukraine. And that's not just men stepping up, it's the women who expect them to. Nothing new in this of course, in previous wars lads got white feathers planted on them by the women if they thought they were shirking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What would I fight with ? I don’t think the baseball bat, Hurley and a set of steak knives will do much damage..

does Ireland have a cache of weapons on reserve that they could hand out to civilians in a time of war ? If so yeah, I’d rather be dead and having gave it a go then living under some Russian tyranny… but …

Knowing this poxy country we’d probably not have enough to weapons for our armed forces…let alone to arm civilians to defend themselves, their loved ones and their country.

but hey, there is probably some fûcktard sitting somewhere right now with a calculator and a thesaurus about to get wordy and creative as to why we should be donating more in overseas aid instead of looking to see how we ‘might’ mobilise some sort of coordinated mobile defence…if it came to that…..

Interestingly…

An additional €140 million has been allocated to the ODA budget, reaching over €1billion for the first time… just last year..

cant defend ourselves but we can give away a billion Euros with a big smug satisfied grin…. Mad kip..

with WW3, Covid, everything else…. We say goodbye to one billion euros…

is it worth fighting for ? Maybe, I’ll go get the steak knives set..

Yes. I never suggested anything about black. Racism is just discrimination based on someone's nationality. You do realise all human beings are the same race yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

The Ukrainian people or fighting for the existence of their country, I'd like to think most people would fight under those circumstances, but Putin is right, we have all gone soft in the West. Looking at the defiance of the Ukrainian government refusing to leave Kiev, and their ministers arming themselves ready to fight to the death, I can't help comparing them to our gobshites in the Dail, can you imagine Meatball Martin or Leo brandishing a AK47 vowing to fight to the end? They'd have left for the safety of the US weeks ago, with their only worry being if occupation means their pensions won't be honoured.

It wasn't always this way in Ireland though, its only a century ago that the population took on the biggest empire in the world, armed only with a handful of guns and determination, and managed to drive them out (well apart from NI)

This is completely off topic and has absolutely nothing to do with this thread or your post. But your first sentence reminded me of something I have learned in my years of martial arts. When you asked "what would I fight with".

It's amazing in person to person fighting what extending your reach by a couple of inches can do. As a silly and exaggerated example - did you ever see the scene in the Jason Bourne movies where he wins a fight by using a rolled up magazine as a weapon? In reality all the magazine did was extend his reach by an inch or two.

There are whole martial arts dedicated to learning to use small tools in your environment to fight with. Like a rolled up News paper. There is also "Beijing Opera" which is fun to watch.

Anyway as I said this post has nothing to do with anything :) Just where my mind went when you posted. But to answer your question more seriously - if you ever have to fight for your life - do not underestimate what you could use to help you. There is quite a few things I could do with a hurley and a steak knife.

i said to myself ..

” a quick google of Irish defence assets and capabilities will show me we don’t have enough and are under resourced “

“Ammunition.

The Defence Forces of Ireland have limited, low and no ammunition in some cases. With training restrictions in place on a number of weapons over the last few years. Leading to a training minus and a indefectibility throughout the Defence Forces.

The Irish army personal now only complete an annual rifle table firing 40 rounds of ammunition once a year. Comparatively the British army soldiers were given 200 rounds annually to practice back in 1910.

With the pace of warfare and combat today it is easy to deduce that Units need to store ammunition, for their weapons and not have to collect it from a central location a great distance away. This leads to unnecessary long delays in any response and increased pressure on Units with weapons but no ammunition.

A simple system could be put in place.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

If this went nuclear and in turn WW3 started and Ireland were invaded. 3 choices 1, Fight, 2, Run away or 3, roll over and accept the invader.

I'd be concerned for my well being but wouldn't have it in me to run away and wouldn't want to live anyway under an invaders rule. So for me I'd be left with no option but to fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Ireland - one of the so called richest countries in the world with a less than token military. When anyone suggests doing something about this situation, arguments rolled out include "ah shur we'd lose any conflict anyway so why bother". Or talking about how there are plenty of NATO countries between us and the likes of Russia so we'll be grand. Everyone loves the Irish -ole ole ole!

We are a half arsed, kick the can down the road country. Anytime the government announces that it will do something by a particular date, do they ever manage to meet their target.

Looking at the footage of the citizens in Ukraine preparing today was a real eye opener. The former president and members of Parliament carrying guns. People making molotov cocktails. Eastern Europeans (every nationality, not just Ukrainians) have a grim toughness, national pride and hands on attitude that we don't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If one of us go to war, we all go to war.

Sure it will never happen, we don’t have any enemies… that’s been our attitude ..

you plan and prepare for the worst case scenario…

we don’t plan, we don’t prepare.

Proper planning prevents pïss poor performance…. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail……

those analogies have been around for a long time but Ireland… our analogy….”ahhh sure, be grand”…” sure we have xxxxxx so we’ll forget about what we might need to be safe and give away $$$$$$$$”…

8751 active personnel and I can’t be arsed looking up what percentage are deployed on peacekeeping duty elsewhere.

8751 trained personnel to defend a country of 5 million people and 70,274 km²

.. marvellous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Tell me..... we allowed pick Khabib to represent us, in this face off I hope?!

Our defence forces wouldn’t get close to filling Hill 16…. When you read it in those terms….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The biggest threat to our country was when the IRA invited Hitler to invade Ireland and set up a quisling government here. Apart from that, we could have spent billions on a massive army for many decades, for no real purpose.

Oh here’s to Adolph Hitler,

Who made the Britons squeal,

Sure before the fight is ended

They will dance an Irish reel.

(War News, 21 November 1940)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭NiceFella

I found it very humbling watching the Ukrainians, most of which without basic training stepping up to the mark to fight. Takes a lot of guts considering what they are up against. They're not fighting someone remotely on the same level militarily.

Its an interesting question. I'd like to think I would do the same for ireland. But in Irelands case if fought against a military as sophisticated as Russia, it would be hopeless and you'd have to figure that you'd rather die than be occupied by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The biggest threat to our country was when the potato failed, and despite there being 2-3 times enough food in the country to feed the population of 8 million, Britian's genocidists shipped vast quantities of food out of the country and left over a million to starve.

Surprised you haven't heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭helto

It really does show how brave the men and women of 1916, the PIRA etc were. Sometimes we take it for granted, we should be more grateful to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement