Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

You'd need to check the specification of your inverter and panels to determine how many panels may be connected. but as bullit said 12 or 13 is typical. German division of my inverter manufacturer has an excel sheet to calculate all this easily and for instance with my panels 12 is max but another manufacturers panels the max is 7 per string!

If you only have 10 on one string you could add a second string (assuming you have two MPPT). Note like the max per string there is also a minimum per string as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Assuming you have an inverter that supports 2x strings (and if you post the make/model someone here can confirm) you should be able to add a bunch of panels no problem. You're main limitation might be the size of the inverter itself. E.g. if it's a 3Kw inverter than you will be limited to 3Kw unless you swap out the inverter (that can add significantly to the cost - but depending on your situation might not be a deal breaker)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

The inverter is a Solis-mini-3000-4G. 10no. 320w currently fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Max output on the inverter is 3.3kW so maybe one or two extra panels on each string would help you achieve this on less bright days. Has max input voltage of 600v so you are well within that at 7 panels/string.

Look at the cost of installing these as that will certainly show if it is worthwhile. If a fitter has to come back to install extra rails and the panels I would think it probably isn't worth the cost.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Thats a single string inverter. and the 600V is per string.

• Advertisement

300e per additional panel. We have one ev and possibly a second in the near future.

Your going to struggle there with your inverter. What you can do is upgrade your panels by adding 7-8 more into your existing 3.3kw inverter. Even though you will have 5Kw+ in panels, you inverter will only pull down 3.3Kw.

In some respects, you will be "wasting" generation, but what it will mean for you, is that you will hit your "max production" threshold on more days of the year. If for example say you were generating 2-3Kwhr off your existing panels for some day in Feb. Then increasing your panel capacity would raise that generation to 3-4Kwhr. However come summer time.....when the sun is shining you'll be wasting your panels output by your inverter cap.

It's a tough one to call. I think long term, if you are thinging of powering your EV and adding a 2nd one, coupled to the rising price of electricity/gas (Ukraine notwithstanding) replacing your existing system with a higher capacity one is the way to go. Keep your existing panels, but add a new array of new panels to a new hybrid inverter rated 5Kw (ideally 6Kw)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

For EV charging, especially with a car maybe not at home during the midday hours, storage of the excess makes sense, but only if you do decent milage AND that battery storage can be bought at a low price point (maybe under €1k per 5kW), which you will only do with a DIY Battery install at present

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

New 6kwh inverter and a tweek on the settings. Thats a result I think. The battery was putting out 3kwh and now its 5kwh. Game changer imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

It was on your advice I went for the 6kw inverter for my install and really glad I did so thanks for that. What batteries are you running in your system?

Thanks for saying that. I'm running the BYD 10.5KW

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Your installer must have have had the settings wrong on your old inverter so. Both the Solis 5kW and 6kW can both output 5kW via EPS output if battery supports it.

Does it "really" matter though? 5kw verses 3Kw? I ask not knowing your situation.

My thinking on this is more around the fact that you have a certain energy in your battery. That battery will last a certain time limit. If it's empty at 7pm and you've been importing 2Kw from the grid cause the battery couldn't give everything......or the battery is empty at 6Pm cause it could give everything.......you're just moving the timeline of what your importing. In either case it's given out all that it has stored into your house. No?

I should say that with the high usage that I have, there hasn't been one single day that my battery (8.2Kwhr) has gotten me to night rate......so I might be a little unusual here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Wait until summer comes around.

We both work from home for most of the week. For the mileage we are doing we are saving 30-40 euros a week with the one ev. Going with a second ev would yield a similar saving but countered by having to pay additional charging at the night rate to make sure both cars are sufficiently charged. With longer days ahead maximising the yield from the inverter that we have seems the most sensible option.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

That is pretty great TBH. You mentioned tweats... anything you can share? Was it on the Solis Inverter side of the house or the battery side that you tweaked?

I suspect - with a 4.8Kw Dyness battery - i cant get to 5Kw unless I add a second 4.8Kw Dynness battery - im only getting 2.5Kw now - but i think thats correct for my setup (my inverter is 6Kw and 5g)

Sorry autocorrect. It was tweaks not tweets.

I don't do twitter.

I don't know the settings as my installer did it all.i know my limitations when it comes to the inverter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

That doesn't sound right unless the battery only has 0.5C and not 1C charge/discharge.

Seems like a waste not having 100a charge/discharge on a 5kwh battery. You sure the charge/discharge settings are correct on the inverter? The inverter can do 100a for sure. Check the spec sheet of the battery and see if it's only 50a

Out of curiosity dose anyone know what the latest SW version is in a Solis 5G 6kwh.

I currently have 3A0029.

Just curious that's all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

That is the newest version I've seen. I have 350022.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I logged a call after the install with Solis and they told me I was running the latest code.

Thanks gents

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

I've recently had a system installed, with a 6kw Solis Hybrid 5G inverter, 5kwh Puredrive battery and an EDDI. 

In general, I'm very happy with it. There are few things I'm trying to get a greater understanding of.

During non-daylight hours, when the PV is no longer producing, I see a mismatch between the power the battery is delivering compared to what the house is consuming.

I realise that the battery side is possibly measured in DC @ 50v, and that there are going to be conversion losses. But, the difference exceeds what I'd expect.

The Solis Home app shows the readings, and I'm also verifying the same by querying the inverter/datalogger directly with a python script (pysolarman, thanks all in the monitoring/automation thread).

Per this screenshot, you can see that battery is delivering 480w, and the house is consuming 330w. A this point in time, there is no grid import (but that can flip to 40 or 70W, depending on when I look)

So, there is a delta of 150w. And there is always a delta of somewhere between 120 and 180w.

While 150w is not a huge amount, it does add up. 

150w over 6 hours (i.e. 5pm to 11pm) is 900wh. Which equates to 18% of my battery drained from sunset to night rate.

The 330w house load is accurate: to verify I've switched off most mcbs, and put a power monitor socket the remaining appliances.

Are others seeing this?

And what is the reason of a mismatch? (I can accept 10/15% conversion losses, but this is always greater)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I am 100% seeing this, all the time when using the battery.

Right now: 170w wasted how?

It does fluctuate up and down though (5 mins later):

It can be 150-200w. Maybe the inverter is using that (for what?) or that's just poor conversion from DC to AC? Or option 3, the time when it took the house load reading doesn't line up with the time it took the battery reading (someone who can pull live data directly from the inverter will be able to clear this up) - but not sure this makes sense because the logger collects all data at the same time and sends to cloud.

When the battery is empty it is pulling from the grid the correct amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,431 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If you look at the previous days data does it show all that wasted power ?

Just wondering is it a timing thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

I don't think its a timing thing. I've done some experimentation where I've turned off mcbs in my fuse board to any circuits that may have fluctuating loads. So then I can see a very constant house load over 10s of minutes. The delta is always there. Its between 120w to 180w for the times I look, so seems very similar to what you are seeing Dracula. What inverter/battery are you on?

I am also pulling real-time data from the inverter/logger (python script executing on laptop), and can confirm that the Solis Home data is accurate, albeit delayed for up to 5 mins. (I just posted the Solis Home app screenshot as its easier to illustrate than some logging from a script)

Note, the SolisCloud app hides all this... it just shows the house load the same as the current battery power. But that is not correct: I know that my house load is less, as I monitored all power consuming devices at that point in time.

Not sure how could see that from previous day 6, are there some stats/graphs you know I could look at?

Advertisement