Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

there must be a large proportion of Russian soldiers with family and friends in Ukraine. I can’t image there is an appetite for this at all. Just wonder how high up it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

I heard the Ukrainians were urging people to change road signs to confuse advancing tanks. Someone pointed out the tanks would have satnav.

My question is -could the satnav signals be scrambled over Ukrainian territory ?

A lot, I would imagine.

Putin has not only managed to isolate allies (Czech Republic; Moldova; Hungary; Kazakhstan; China); economically cripple the country he purports to love; but also managed to create a strategic disaster by invading its neighbour, which apparently some in the higher echelons of the Russian military were "dismayed" by.

That cocktail, combined with increasing losses in the Ukraine - body-bags of sons returning back to Russia, will only amplify that debate further.

This is absolutely Putin's final adventure. How it ends, who knows.

Hopefully, with a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is tonight going to be Russia's shock and awe?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I suspect China had hoped it would all be over by now, and give them the green light to go after Taiwan

The sheer scale of international reaction, and the heroic actions of the Ukrainians must have given them some food for thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

With even Germany sending 1000 anti-tank javelin missiles, 500 anti-air stinger missiles & Dutch sending 400 RPGs it effectively looks like Putin/Russia is now fighting Nato minus their troops.. if he comes to that conclusion he is either going to back off or the **** will hit the fan...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The west is already heavily involved in the conflict by providing arms.

I think we have gone past the point he mentioned the other day about anyone interfering will see consequences never seen in history. But maybe he's all bark and no bite when it comes to going up against NATO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I suppose the Russian Consulate in Limerick is watching the comings and goings of USAF in Shannon too. God Almighty there's reds under the beds alright. But they only look after visas right? An Irish sounding honorary consul aswell Michael Guerin. Wonder if he has resigned or is that a diplomatic incident.

Am hoping the Russians do not have an easy passage on this invasion, but it is looking like they will take Kyiv. Gotta take my hat off to the Ukrainians on the ground, they are something else. Hope Zelenskyy survives, I think his motivational presence is keeping Ukrainian resistance alive. No wonder he is a marked man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Looking at these Chechen soldiers, they all look to me like Barry from 'Four Lions' just with an assortment of beard colours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Frankly I'm just waiting for some small, non-aligned nation like Ghana to send a full battalion of troops officially to fight alongside Ukraine. I mean, it won't start a nuclear war and it'll make NATO/EU seem pretty silly.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In theory, sure. But that would affect the Ukrainian GPS as well, and the Russians do have the GLONASS system, however good that is.

BBC reporting that Germans have finally agreed to cut Russia out of Swift

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Patriot missiles possibly on their way...

The Netherlands has promised it will send additional military support to Ukraine.

The shipment includes 200 Stinger missiles and 50 Panzerfaust-3 anti-tank weapons with 400 missiles.

Defence Minister Kasja Ollongren says they are also investigating, in co-operation with Germany, the possibility of supplying Patriot missiles to a Nato battlegroup being formed in Slovakia.

People in the central city of Dnipro wait to enlist...

Above source: BBC News website

Apparently there are massive queues of people in cities all over the Ukraine waiting to enlist. Whole families, mothers, grandmothers, even young teenagers. It brings a lump to your throat when you see folk - just like your own family - willing to lay down their lives in defence of their country.

Putin is well aware that his actions, and his actions alone, will be directly responsible for the needless deaths of many thousands of everyday ordinary folk, not to mention the suffering of the hundreds of thousands/millions displaced. A whole generation of people scarred for life by this despots cranky vision and butchery.

If Aladdin's Lamp were real, and I were fortunate enough to have a go and summon the genie, then my wish would not be for fame or fortune for myself, it would simply be to be magically transported to within two feet of Putin's back - with a dagger in my hand.

An interesting question posed earlier was, is it possible that even Russia's nuclear arsenal isn't up to scratch / un-maintained?

I don't know.

But after the third-rate spectacle we're seeing in Ukraine, it could be true (to at least some degree).

But that doesn't take away from the valiant, heroic, and quite frankly inspiring efforts by President Zelensky and the Ukrainian people.

Quite amazing.

Did they find a nuclear pill or nochichok in his tea or did he fall out of a window

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Given most of Russia is geographically in Asia. Uefa should kick Russia out and say they play with their Asian counterparts,. Uefa is for free European countries. They seem to be allies with China now, let them play sports with them too.

Given how racist Russia is this again will turn people against the short man. Kick Russia every way possible away from the west including in sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This is the thing. People are surprised by the equipment the Russians are using here. If you spend any time on the internet, you're bound to have come across some videos of the latest Russian super weapons. Su-57 being a great example. A fantastically capable machine, but there's less than a handful of them. Maybe two that are combat capable. And they probably don't want to use these either. There's some superb engineering, but a large part of what brought down the USSR was money for these weapons. They simply couldn't afford to keep up with military jones of the US. And again a lot of their capability even back then was completely fabricated.

China is the worry though. They've the money and are building like there's no tomorrow. Their ship yards will ensure they've a larger blue water fleet that the Americans fairly soon. And whatever the Chinese eventually decide to do with it, you cannot remove them for the global economy. It's simply impossible to replace their position in the global supply chain, and I'm not talking about iPhone production here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

If it is, I’d like to see democratic nations strike back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The news of such a strong Ukrainian stand against the Russians is very heartening, even if it does transpire that they're ultimately doomed. Firstly because it's always good to see people fighting for the righteous cause. Secondly because the longer they hold their ground the more difficult it becomes for those in the west to ignore it.

It's a given that there are many figures in the political, business and sporting world whose ideal scenario was for Ukraine to be quickly crushed. They'd spend an hour giving platitudes about how dreadful that it's come to this, give a condemnation of "both sides" and a comment about refugees. Then they'd move straight on to "It's time we normalise relations with Russia again, this adversarial attitude gets us nowhere, time to reset the clock, diplomacy always works, if we do business with them they'll become a friendly happy nation, keep politics out of sport etc." Effectively the same bullsh*t that meant all the warnings about Russia were dismissed, so that they could continue making money.

It's also why it's important that, vacuous and facile as some gestures may seem, talk of standing with Ukraine can play its part. The clearer it is where the vast majority of people's sympathies lie and that it is anathema to be supporting Russia in this, the tougher it will be for these same figures to openly advocate abandoning the Ukrainians to their fate and get the money flowing again to and from Russia under the guise of "moving on".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Few of these will scramble the sat navs no problem

Here we go. Hopefully will be as lacklustre as the previous few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭jmreire

Cracks starting to appear due to external / internal pressure?

From covid to this ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭jmreire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement