Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Ah yeah we should still go for the win but I'd be happy with a draw all things considered although if Trippier was starting I'd fancy us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Come on lads into these today!! Trippier fit to start seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭IAmTitleist

HUGE win!!

That was a seriously nervy second half but job done. Dan Burn an absolute snip at 13 million haha!

Hopefully Trippiers injury isn’t too bad

Massive win!! Where's the bedsheets now Villa??? Delighted with that the organisation togetherness and workrate in 2nd half was a joy to behold these boys care! Big Dan Burn was brilliant you'd swear he'd been here years Schar top class as well. Ah it's great to be proud if the lads again the absolute refusal to concede or feel sorry for ourselves there was excellent.

Add 3 or 4 quality players in the summer boys and we are seriously motoring. PS I hope Ollie Holt and Barry Glendinning enjoyed that.

Post edited by Scoundrel on

On the subject of that knob Ollie Holt I see in his latest column he was somehow able to make Kurt Zouma abusing a cat all about Newcastle and our owners! Complete halfwit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Great bloody result today, we have proper momentum now, with the way these guys are playing, they might even fancy getting a win away to West Ham in the next game. First half we were excellent, in the second half, when Trippier & Manquillo came off especially, I thought we looked vulnerable. Hopefully Trippier isnt out for too long but early indications are is that it doesnt look great. Huge loss if its the case because you can clearly see him leading & organizing the team as well.

Shelvey looked good today I thought, Gaimaraes coming has encouraged him & willock to up their game I think. Dan Burn was excellent, Schar too, Saint Maxim didnt get much success as he was being double marked all the time, Wood missed a great chance again but tried at least, Fraser looks revitalised & threatening.

Some space between us & the relegation zone now finally.

Christ i'm getting used to being happy after Newcastle games now it's weird. To be fair Eddie Howe called it right in his comments we showed true grit and the evidence of progression is there we'd have drawn or lost that game a few weeks ago think Watford Man Utd Nowrich games where we turned victories into draws if we'd won those games we'd be nearly in top half!!

The only negative was the Trippier injury he was magnificent again had Coutinho is his pocket and drove the team on as usual hopefully he won't be out long. Jonjo Shelvey had one of his best games for us IMO Bruno G will struggle to get in the team the way the 3 lads are going in midfield.

Craig Hope reporting Trippier has broken bone in his foot after being stamped on during game bad news I'm afraid.

Trippier broken foot confirmed by the club now.

This club just aren't allowed to have nice things. 😪

They reckon he'll miss 6 games however Palace might be called off if they win in the cup so it'd be 5 games against West Ham Brentford Brighton Spurs and Chelsea if we could nick 2 wins out of them without him I reckon we'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Of all the players to get injured FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Great win, dug deep, still squandered a few chances but once Wood, Willock, Joelinton get on the scoresheet confidence will sky rocket and we could be in a good place.

Results again went our way the weekend so no we need to capitalize.

Could potentially be our game or two that was cancelled aswell could it?

Its a big lose, a really big one, but the confidence the guys are on we shouldn't miss him too much.

More than likely without Tripps leadership we might turn into Newcastle of old with 20% possession, but at this stage as long as they battle like they did yesterday we can come away with results. especially at St James, the place is a fortress and teams cannot handle the 12th man... fans as always top class.

Also, Villa honeymoon period is over.

I rarely watch 90 mins of football other than Newcastle games so haven't really seen much of Villa, but on that one viewing, for me im glad we dodged Gerrard, didn't seem to have fight in him, from 83rd minute there was 15 mins still to play at 1-0 down (7 minutes added on) he was slumped in his seat along with Mcallister.

Howe and Tindall since taking over haven't sat down once, constantly giving direction and praise regardless if it was 4-0 down V city or 1 up V Leeds

It was easy for Gerrard to get excited putting 4 and 5 against raith rovers, but if Villa aren't careful in 2 or 3 games could find themselves right in the mix of a relegation battle, and from yesterdays viewing id much rather have Howe/Tindall trying to get us out than Gerrard

Neville was praising Wood on his podcast about being a shrewd signing.

Anyone see Weghorst failing to even hit the target from two 1 on 1's at the weekend? 👀 😅

It looks like Manquillo will be fit for the game this weekend which is some good news don't want to be relying on Krafth who just isn't up to it.

Yeah he looks a bit of a donkey but so did Wood when he ballooned that shot over the bar instead of passing it into Fraser for a 1 on 1 .

Ah the shot was always on, especially for a striker. Even watching it I was shouting shoot... but what a dirt attempt! 😄

😂😂Hard to take seriously anyone who relies on Neville for their football analysis, a guy who had the lowest win percentage of any Valencia boss in La Liga history, some feat that. Not only this but he was part of the coaching set up that resulted in England getting knocked out of the 2016 European championship by Iceland. Their worst humiliation since getting knocked out of the World cup in 1950 by the USA. He's perfect for Sky though, loves sensationalizing things, getting the soundbites, making the bold statements.

Weghorst has played three games already, two of those have been against top 4 quality teams, United & Liverpool. He got an impressive assist & man of the match against United. In the Liverpool game, two chances didn't come off for him but the runs he's making for a big man are impressive & the positions he's getting himself into. Only a matter of time before he starts putting them away. Id be more concerned if I was Dyche if he wasnt getting into those positions. Wood on the other hand, has played more games, is playing in a better team high on confidence, hasnt had so much as one assist & missed an absolute sitter on Sunday which fell into his path. I understand he's being asked to do some of the donkey work & wasnt necessarily bought for his goal scoring abilities but still. To top it off, he cost over double the price of Weghorst & is nearly a year older.

Post edited by jimwallace197 on

I was pulling your leg ffs and you certainly didn't disappoint. 😂

Some fair points but football management isnt all about shouting & gesticulating on the sidelines. Some of the greatest managers in the game were relatively quiet when the matches were in play.

In the 12 games since he joined, Gerrard has won 5, drawn 2 & lost 5 in the pl. 3 of those 5 losses came against the three best teams in the league. City, Liverpool & Chelsea & one of the draws came against United. Not great but not terrible either. He went out of the FA cup away to United. They've only lost the three games against the top 3 by one goal but we were smashed by them on the other hand. The exception being when they lost 3-1 to Chelsea.

Transfer market wise, I think he's made two very good signings in Coutinho & Digne. I dont think either of those players would have gone there if it wasnt for him.

They were asleep in the first half no doubt against us but dominated the second in my opinion & we were lucky they had that goal ruled out for VAR.

Will be interesting to see where they end up at the end of the season & if he makes it as a manager in the PL.

• Advertisement

Happy to be proven wrong if Wood ends up with 10 or 15 goals at the end of the season & we finish close to midtable. Will improve the quality of strikers we can get in the summer😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

woods is a donkey, wont get 5 goals by end of season not a mind 10. In saying that of course... hope im wrong

Unfortunately we were a bit hamstrung with Wilson’s injury and needed someone in ASAP.

our results since he arrived have been good so he gets a byball so far having not scored.

If we survive I’d be very disappointed if he’s any higher up the pecking order than third choice striker. Ideally you’d want a star striker signed with Wilson as backup and then Wood as an alternative.

Oh yeah if we stay uo 100% a star striker will be signed the Saudis will see to that I think we'll sign 3 or 4 this summer and ship out some of the dead wood. I personally think we'll sign 4 in the summer Targett permanently a Shelvey replacement a star striker and Botman.

Schar,Dummett,Longstaff are out of contract this year.

Dummett and Longstaff will be gone.

If we get Botman, Schar wont be renewed (not sure he will stay anyway unless its a big contract offer)

Regarding this weekend its a big decision to make with Lascelles back or does he do 3 at the back

Howe has ideas on Burn continuing to play at centre back id say & with Lascalles being English & the captain, id be surprised to see him sold this summer. Would prefer them to keep Schar though, I think he's a much better defender than Lascalles.

Having these four centre backs to choose from going into next season would be ideal, Burn, Schar, Botsman, Carlos but its unlikely to happen. Id say more likely Lascalles, Burn, Botsman/Carlos & possibly an up & coming youth player

It is being reported that Manquillo is out for 2 weeks so that's Krafth against West Ham and Brentford.

Kelland Watts signed a new contract today, good young central defender, they must be planning on him being our fourth central defender I'd say. No talk of Schar getting a new contract.

Schar and even Fernandez should be getting kept on ahead of Lascelles. Although Lascelles has been better the past couple of games he’s played.

Schar would be a handy man to have as 4th choice centre back under Howe as he’s very comfortable on the ball. Whether he’d be willing to stay on as a back up is another question though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Damn it, that Joe Willock is a handsome man!

Delighted with that result and performance Joe Willock brilliant again but there was absolutely no difference between us and them now we were just as well organised and coached as they were. Big Dan Burn is a proper centre half as well.

If we had our full team available we'd have beaten them 100%.

Good point to keep unbeaten run and momentum going.

Thought we were the far better side in the first half, second half and in particular the last 20/25 mins I thought was crying out for Bruno. Badly needed someone with a calm head to get his foot on the ball but having said that West Ham created nothing all game outside of their set piece goal.

Good point and if we can beat Brentford next week I’d be feeling very confident of survival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Good result in the end all things considered. Great to see wee Joe back to playing like we know he can. Thought Dan Burn was the geordie Beckenabuer again - great signing. Kraft just isn't up to it at this level, though. A bit more quality up front and we would've had them. Brentford is a massive one. Win and we're safe imo.

Some funny stuff if true😂

Very encouraging performance today, thought we were better than them for 70/75% of the game. Disappointing to concede a goal to one of their set pieces as thats what they specialize in & we should have been better prepared for it. Great to see Willock performing as well as he is currently, he seems to be getting better & better these days.

Only downside today is Burnleys & Watfords great results & performances against Brighton & Villa. Weghorst scored a goal & set up another one. Probably another man of the match performance from him. Watford looked tight, compact & dangerous on the break against villa. Looks like alot of teams are going to be dragged into this relegation battle, Everton, Leeds, Brentford to name a few.

Overall though, how we played today was excellent, i doubt there has been hardly any team in the division thats gone there this season & played against them the way we did. Onwards & upwards hopefully.

We really could have done without Watford and Burnley winning but the way we are playing I think we're going to pick up plenty of points and to be fair Burnley have been threatening a win like that for a while they're playing well.

If we go to Brentford next week and win we overtake them with 2 games in hand.

• Advertisement

Next week could be our biggest game of the season.

Hopefully Saint Max will be well rested and raring to go.

I agree, this is our biggest game of the season so far, just because of who everyone else is playing also, regardless of who is below the teams above will feel the pressure

Leeds are on early V spurs, Everton are late V Man City

if both lose or draw (potential results) and we beat brentford we could be 14th with a game in hand over palace in front of us!

for mentality alone those teams around will start **** themselves on our form and hopefully our confidence will grow even more going into the final 3rd of the season

I watched a good bit of Chelsea Lille last night I thought Lille overall were poor but Botman looked a step above everyone on their team he's not the quickest but his positioning and reading of the game looks very good and looks a leader as well could be our Vincent Kompany all going well. Also Hatem Ben Arfa came on as well a blast from the past.

Yah I didnt think they were great either, doesn't look they're going to qualify for next seasons champions league in Ligue 1, currently 11th place & well off the pace. Could strengthen our hand in negotiations with them this summer. Probably a more realistic target than Diego Carlos at this stage, Sevilla still second in the league & challenging, would be surprised if they dont make Cl this year.

For similar money id much rather a younger promising European centre half than a 28 year old Brazilian one.

hopefully we can get Botman in if they fail to qualify for Europe.

• Advertisement

2 out of 3 results went our way last night Burnley once again got a good result and I honestly think they'll stay up I think both us and them will stay up and the 3 that'll go down are Watford Norwich and Brentford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

Saturday is such a huge game. Brentford win and it'll be hard to overhaul them and we'd probably have to rely on Leeds to avoid relegation.

But win and i think Brentford are history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

good result, will wood ever score a goal? 🤨

Bloody great result. They screwed themselves with the early sending off. Home to Brighton next, given our respective forms (they've lost their last three), there's no reason why we cant aim for & get the win. Then barring an absolute collapse, we are pretty much safe. Finishing close to mid table will no doubt help us attract a better caliber of player.

Some players are really stepping up, Willock, Joelinton, Fraser to name a few. Good to see Lascalles not starting aswell today, no one, whether you're club captain or not should automatically assume a position in the starting 11.

The club needs to get Schars contract sorted out asap though, would prefer him any day to Lascalles. Sign Targett permanently get a proper out & out striker along with an attacking winger to compete with St Maxim & Fraser.

Seen some reports linking us with Rudiger this week, would be fantastic, no harm in dreaming.

Great result and performance early red helped Schar Joelinton Willock and Fraser were brilliant.

I thought Howe summed up our new attitude brilliantly in his interview try and win every game but if you don't win don't lose for so long we were a soft touch not anymore.

Yah, happy to admit I got some things wrong about Howe, he's got the team playing really well & he's improving a lot of the players at his disposal.

My main concern with him will be when we want to break into the top 8/top 6, is he good enough for this & can he attract a high enough caliber of player to get us there? That's a conversation for another day though. Right now, we're looking good for survival & that certainly didnt look the case only a few weeks ago.

Great to be supporting a team on the up with financial power. CMON THE TOON

Another big weekend of results going our way.

Obviously the red card helped us massively but as we know against Norwich it doesn't necesarrily mean a straightforward 3 points.

Hopefully Saint Max is well rested, fit and raring to go against Brighton on Saturday, looking at our remaining home games we probably need to win our next 2 against Brighton and Palace because the rest are very difficult games.

Great result, I understand they were down to 10 men but we created alot of chances without our main men, Frazer has been excellent.

When Schar is happy he is fantastic, hopefully he will be offered a new contract

Get Botman and Targett in and our defence is solid

Telegraph reporting that Schar & Shelvey are set to be offered new contracts. Definitely want Schar, Shelvey not so much, shouldnt have taken the arrival of Bruno Guimaraes for him to up his game. Wouldnt miss him if he was sold at the end of the season, reckless on many occasions & not the type of player we'll need to break us into the top 6/8 next season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement