Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Does anyone else have sky news on 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah, then if the claim is true they have to find puppets willing enough to put their lives on the line as a "new" government. I heard an Economist editor last night talking about Putin and suggesting that he probably wants to go in flames over this. She also talked about the oligarchs being a potential weak link that can be squeezed hard and about how the Kremlin can decide it has had enough of its leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The best of humanity shining through on the borders. Russia are struggling but they’re a sleeping beast re military capabilities. There is a risk the more the Ukrainians resist, the worse the offensive might become from the Russians re bomb capabilities. Hope the Russian / Ukraine talks happen.

Domestically in Russia, Putin has to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It looks like they've put in plenty of continuity of Government measures now too, Government representatives present in many parts of the country aside from just Kyiv.

It's going to be impossible for Russia to take out the Government in one clean sweep. Russia will probably try and negotiate with representatives of its own puppet Government, but it's not going to work as Ukrainian representatives and officials will continue to denounce the talks.

The whole thing seems very disjointed by Russia so far. The fact that the internet and communication services are still up, allowing the Government to release regular updates, is astonishing. So much for Russia having the most sophisticated electronic warfare capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Good. Send them back to the fcukin Stone Age. They need to be made into a North Korean style pariah, with the technology and living standards to match. Putin and his cronies are the same/worse as Kim Jong

• Advertisement

Im so proud of Poland throughout this- amazing country and people. The very best of Europe, only for them things would be a lot worse. They are Ukraine’s safety valve

https://twitter.com/fawndn99/status/1497851570503004164?s=21

Here's a video that shows Ukrainian residents stopping advancing Russian tanks by walking at them en masse.

It is understood the scene was filmed in Koryukivka, in Chernihiv region.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The only sophisticated electronic capabilities we’ve seen is Russian soldiers climbing poles disabling highway cameras. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

So proud of the resistance the Ukrainian purple are putting up. The heart, the courage they are showing is truly inspiring, and led from the front by a man who was voted in almost as a joke.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I am still hoping for some talks because the civilians will most likely suffer very heavy losses if the Russians really target them . Putin can still throw a lot more at them and he will get even more desperate as there is no going back for him .He is most likely finished soon enough but can do an awful lot of damage before he goes .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Certainly seems like a bust so far for Vlad.

Maybe watching America steam roll middle Eastern countries has warped my understanding of warfare but its not going according to my initial thinking.

I thought guerilla warfare would be the main resistance but this is still frontline army V army.

All pretty strange but Glory to Ukraine. Keep her lit lads 🔥

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I see Russian air traffic is still flowing between lots of European nations- why? Germany, Switzerland, Hungary, Sweden…avoiding certain air space

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Pictures emerging of Russians using civilian areas to base their artillery pieces to shell Ukrainians.

I think it’s the location of the negotiations not the negotiations themselves that Ukraine is rejecting- a bit more neutral territory is what’s required

(sorry wrong post quoted when replying)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

At least the mask has well and truly fallen from the Russian government officials. For years, Putin and his cronies have striven to put on this cool, calm, logical persona with a touch of menace, like they're always the smartest guy in the room, playing their sly little mind games. Putin slouching in his chair, legs spread while sitting with other world leaders, tacitly demonstrating a lack of respect for his counterpart by not even having an attentive posture. Now, we have a glimpse of the real Putin, foaming at the mouth, rambling about neo-nazis and drug addicts in the Ukrainian government. We thought the U.S. were telling a whopper with weapons of mass destruction, and they were, but here's Putin with his own version of that.

And that Russian ambassador to Ireland who appeared on the six one news.... who the hell was that guy? He looked and sounded like the secondary villain of some old Euro-thriller starring Michael Caine. That guy's calling in life is to be racing around the narrow streets of 1980s Bruges in a tiny car in search of a mysterious black briefcase. If he doesn't at least own a pair of black leather gloves and a pistol with a ridiculously long silencer, I am going to be sorely, sorely disappointed.

Because they are busy doing other things. It's not a wave of a wand and it takes time for countries and governments to formulate and agree on policies.

Russian troops also trying to ahead of the currency crisis next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

I very much he survives this and ends up getting a standing ovation as he enters Brussels for Ukraines accession to the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Hopefully it's merely a brief stopover as he continues his journey north to the Hague to give evidence against Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

When you see videos like that of Ukrainians just walking slowly up to a tank, or the lone guy who stood in front of a moving tank , or the guy single handed trying to block an entire armoured column by just standing in the middle of the road ... It's amazing ,and must just sap the moral of Russian troops ,

And the granny with the sunflower seeds ... I reckon Ukrainian granny's could win this war - who the hell wants to beat up a granny ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

This is something I had thought of-WHAT IF- the Ukrainian people flooded into Kyiv enmasse and stayed on the streets and the bridges- like millions of them (voluntarily I hasten to add)- would that snooker Putin?

If this was ISIS attacking it would be a stupid move as they wouldn’t care but surely you can’t capture a whole city when the civilians in their millions are lining the streets with rifles and guns and a strong will to resist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

Ukrainians are playing it smart, not contesting open ground but urban strongpoints, and they have a lot of western weapons as well as presumably a constant feed of Intel from US and other European countries.

Russia was geared for a short campaign that would swoop in, capture Kiev, and put in a puppet. It's actually bizarre how little preparation appears to have gone into Plan B. Videos of stranded and abandoned Russian vehicles everywhere.

The war is not going well, their economy is going to be in tatters, and they've achieved pretty much none of their objectives and questionable if they ever will at this stage. For something apparently in the planning for the past 2 years it really defies belief they would get it quite this wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Such a lovely photo. I really hope his family are out of the country and he makes it through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

If they want to beat up Grannies they can call in the Belarussian army. They are absolute experts on the topic.

Let the cabinet nominate 100 people to be the next president-then god forbid but if the current president is killed, a new person automatically becomes president

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭boetstark

Why can't the Irish government organise to send an aircraft to bring some of those poor Ukrainian people to Ireland.

We have 2 spare bedrooms and would be willing to take a family.

There is no neutrality in this conflict. I find zelensky and Ukrainian people inspiring.

• Advertisement

A fairly decent synopsis of the rightful isolation of Putin. UK Foreign Secretary Lizz Truss also suggesting this is the beginning of the end for him. As this goes on it looks like this monumental miscalculation could be the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement