Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Can't remember if I mentioned it on thread but yesterday I got talking to someone living nearby and I asked if they were following the news. "I follow it a bit but I have my own opinion on things" and yet somehow I knew exactly what those opinions are. 🤣 He's anti-vax (knew that already) and had the usual talking points. First time he brought up America I pointed out that I was against most of the US's foreign policy and that it wasn't particularly relevant. 2nd time I said "Here's a challenge, see if you can make any of your points without mentioning America". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I hate trying to deal with people like that. They just have one mantra and think it makes them smart so they stick to it.

Whereas,in reality, everybody knows that Russia invaded Ukraine because of Hillary's email servers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Not only that, but (apparently) only told that they were going on exercises, only realising at the last minute that they were actually being used in combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

This early in the conflict there is no way you're going to get accurate details. Ukraine will have had a high number of casualties but for morale reasons they aren't going to admit it.

The Russians lie at every opportunity so scratch getting it from them.

The Ukrainians numbers for Russian dead are exaggerated but maybe only by 50%. Just going by the number of destroyed Russian vehicle convoys if they had troops in them there definitely were heavy casualties, couple that with 3 troop transports being shot down at least 300 troops gone if they hadn't been dropped from the planes.

The Ukrainians are definitely bleeding the Russians and causing a considerable weakening of the Russian military machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

• Advertisement

Putin's march in to the Ukraine has seriously backfired:

I've just watched Scholtz address the Bundestag and there is a complete change in defence policy and energy security policy in Germany not just in response to Russian Agression but in general.

This year's budget will divert 100billion euro as a once off payment to strengthen the military.

Defence will receive going forward over 2% of GDP to rebuild the defence capability of the German Defence Forces.

That 2% quota will be put in to law so that it does not go down in future years.

Germany will buy/develop European military machinery like Eurodrone and Eurofighter not U.S. hardware. Some Israeli stuff was mentioned and a F35 for aircraft carrier operations.

They're going to wean themselves off Russian Gas quicker and build 2 LNG terminals and increase the reserves/options of gas by 2 billion cubic metres(???). Russian Gas is no longer the only game in town. Eamon Ryan should note that the Greens in Germany are OK with LNG terminals but he isn't.

They are putting in support for higher energy prices by increasing support for those who commute by car and those who are poor/socially vulnerable.

Maybe the Germany's defence and energy policies were right in the past but they're changing them now not just because of Putin but fückery from Erdogan , the U.S. and the Arabs over the last decades years.

Von Der Leyen as German Defence Minister never got this level of support as the policy at the time was to be a good neighbour and business partner to the world but Putin's agression has shown that this is no longer possible.

Macron should be delighted as the scope for Partnership in pursuit of policies beneficial to Europe between France and Germany has increased immensely as a result of this policy change.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Unfortunately the Russians did hit some nuclear waste being stored, but despite the usual panty-wetting people in ireland go in for concerning any mention of nuclear, it really shouldn't be a problem, just a mess to clean up later, among the many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I reckon this has shown NATO as little more than a potential big bullies club.

If Ukraine were to bring any military action across the border into Russia during the curent conflict, Russia's mates in NATO may view that as an invasion. Yet Russia can quite happily invade Ukraine and NATO members don't do a thing.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

The Ukrainians have set up a hotline so that Russian parents whose children are soldiers can find out the status of their child and their well-being in the Ukraine. They are also raising funds to have the bodies of the dead soldiers repatriated to Russia. This is an incredibly powerful move on the part of the Ukrainians

Thing is they're not necessarily stupid. If someone just goes the wrong way it's easy to go down a rabbithole. What's frustrating to me (because I'm a prick) is when ya meet one who has all the details memorised, but only the ones they read. It takes research to point out that most is either total BS or a misrepresentation and while there'll be a few true (but often irrelevant) points as part of the whole "argument" it doesn't outweigh all the information on the other side of the argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

"Niles..... these boyhood photos of yours. Why are you pouting in all of them?"

"Those weren't pouts. You know very well my pollen allergy caused localised swelling."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

With regards Germany spending 100bn on refurbishment of their armed forces.

I was watching a guy the other night who made some good points about how much the west has actually DE-militarized in the last 40 years. This peace narrative has put Europe especially, in a position of pretty low competence when it comes to war or an invasion.

He said France has 250 tanks, Germany has 280 tanks, and the uk has 200 tanks

Russia - wait for it - has 12,500 tanks.

This wasn't about tanks, it was about how dumbed down European militaries have become. I know if anything like this happens again (china invades Europe for instance) you will be very glad of Germany's investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Hi. Great question. They have used cruise missiles throughout the campaign. Mostly Kalibr cruise missiles launched from TU-22 over Belarus and also ship launched munitions from the Black Sea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

[quote]Yet Russia can quite happily invade Ukraine and other NATO members don't do a thing.[/quote]

NATO members have done a hell of a lot in the past week. They just haven't done it in NATO's name, because that would really be a red rag to a bull. They're sticking to NATO's rules - which gives them credibility - while donating military intelligence, military weapons, economic sanctions, and cyber attacks in Ukraine's aid. That's a not insignificant contribution.

Edit - can't work out quotes on stupid new boards format.

Tanks are becoming less important with the latest shoulder missile and drone technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Ukraine has officially brought a lawsuit against Russia to the UN International Court of Justice in Hague. We demand that Russia be held accountable for manipulating the concept of genocide to justify aggression.

Info from Polish state TV web page in English: https://tvpworld.com/

3 days ago I'd say avoid it as plague, but now the situation has changed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

So the gay bashers from Chenyna got their arses kicked. The Airforce who found that hitting undefended hospitals in Syria is not as easy as dodging determined men with stingers had their go. Now the woman beating mysoginists from Minsk are on the way. Belarussian airbourne troops on the way according to Ukrainian defence ministry.

I suspect they find that women armed to the teeth in Kiev are not the same prospect as women armed with flowers in Minsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Moscow to Kaliningrad flight route:

Moscow to Athens:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

The simple fact is this - the western world is so financially, culturally and militarily centred around the USA that imposing sanctions on them would be ruinous for a lot of countries attempting to do it. Or at least it would create so much pain for those countries' citizens that they just wouldn't tolerate it. The kind of sanctions that Russia faces just wouldn't be an option for a country like Ireland to impose against the USA, not that Ireland would even have the international leverage to impose them.

But what we do have is liberal democracies where we can speak out against government actions. Where we can peaceably assemble and protest and tell government administrations that we think that what they're doing is wrong, and we will vote them out if they continue to do it. We can donate money to initiatives which help victims of war. We can tell the world we don't agree with our governments' doings. We're not hypocrites. We're just individual humans trying to get by in a world where military hegemonies and alliances are going to exist and all we can do is hopefully be with the lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think that few days have shown that those Russian figures are overestimated.

How many of those Russian tanks are actually running?

How old are they? You can be guaranteed that the tanks in Germany, France and the UK are far more advanced.

A man with a modern mobile anti tank missile system turns those multiple tanks into multiple iron coffins.

Tanks are sitting ducks. slow, cumbersome, containing crew to be shot or taken hostage and consume huge amounts of fuel which is in short supply on the battlefield.

I regularly visit a military museum nearby and look at the old world war 2 tanks with holes from high calibre ammo straight through armour which is 4 or 5 inches thick.

The security of a Tank in a war where the other side has access to semi-modern weapons is an illusion.

That's the point, on a military level NATO members won't attack Russian forces.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

New Turkish drones have been put good use attacking Russian convoys.

And the Ukrainians took a large delivery or air to air misssle for their combat aircraft , hopefully they can engage Russian bombers coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Agree. This is a war like no other in history. I assigned this weekend to study but cannot get focused on what I need to do at all.

It's almost like we can all play our part, whether not buying Russian goods, making a donation to buy arms and supplies or retweeting an important message. In a way with modern communication methods, you see the impact of the war in close to real time from the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Uk spend a third of that every year, so that's, say, €900b over the last 2 decades. So no, while I welcome the German gesture, that's really all it is, and it's the UK and French expenditure I welcome. I like almost every German I have met, but 'Germany' is a terrible and selfish country in many ways, not least of which is making Trump right on one topic. That is pretty much unforgivable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Why would Ukraine invading Russia - two non-NATO countries - trigger a NATO response? Russia invading Ukraine hasn't triggered a NATO response.

But despite all that, it's not at all correct to say, as you did, that "Russia can quite happily invade Ukraine and other NATO members don't do a thing." NATO members have done a hell of a lot - just not in NATO's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Could you have a go at explaining this thought process again? There's a lot wrong in there, but it could be down to typo's, e.g.

If Ukraine were to bring any military action across the border into Russia during the curent conflict, Russia's mates in NATO would be obliged to view that as an invasion of all NATO members

• Advertisement

NATO and Russia have signed several important agreements on cooperation.  And that's why NATO won't attempt to do anything in NATOS name to Russia

Again what use is that - If their role is only to protect their own regardless?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement