Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colombia legalises abortion up to 24 weeks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I think most of that is pretty much what I am saying yes. I very strongly disagree with the "Vote over, decision made" mentality some people, including people on my own "side" often display on issues like abortion. Defeat in a referendum for me means their side should go back and up their game. And I look forward to them returning to do just that. But 25 years of seeing their argument and approach change not a jot.... does not fill me with expectation or a compulsion to hold my breath.

Hardly, it is actually a point well made. A woman can "opt out of parenthood" in several ways. Such as giving a child up for adoption.

Opting out of parenting a child.... and opting out of ever actually producing said child.... are very different things. This is not a shifting of the goal posts so much as an acknowledgement there is more than one goal on the pitch and playing towards one has a different meaning to playing towards the other.

I am actually quite open minded on ways to facilitate a man opting out of parenting a child he does not want to be the parent of. How to actually achieve that in a successful functional way is outside my pay grade and intellectual wheelhouse however. I admit my limitations when I have them you see. But in theory I see little reason not to facilitate SOME kinds of moves in that direction.

But the autonomic intellectual response we see often on abortion threads to equate 1:1 a woman's choice to abort with a man's choice to opt out of parenthood is a comparison that is too simplistic to provide anything of intellectual utility I fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's more different stages of the process of life rather then being 2 completely unrelated things.

the question is ultimately valid even though both stages bring some different characteristics such as the rights of the child once born.

however it is perfectly legitimate to ask the question as to why 1 parent can get an out from not having a child but the other cannnot do so, but i suspect that is for a different thread perhapse.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

actually the repeal of the 8th is of itself not proof that his views, at least on abortion, are out of step with anything, seeing as people voted for repeal, or even against repeal, for many different and varied reasons.

some will have been specifically on the basis of abortion access, others specifically because they disagreed with (or maybe even agreed with) in a tiny minority of cases, the 8th itself.

there was no specific question on whether one agrees with abortion, there should have been but there wasn't.

also having views that are or aren't out of step with society means nothing of itself, as unless they are views that are against the law to hold, then one can have them and express them and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

so i am afraid, the fact his view on the referendum wasn't passed is ultimately irrelevant really seeing as nobody has an obligation to stop disagreeing or start agreeing with something, or stop expressing views.

so you will need to get over it that there are people who either disagree with abortion full stop (in a very tiny minority of cases) or want it to be restricted, because such individuals are not going to stop expressing their views because you don't like them or because a referendum on something related for which abortion was deliberately tied to went your way, because if it hadn't then you and others would continue to express your views, or in some cases campaign for a change.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

to be fair, abortion is at the bottom of the list of things most people vote on, if it is even on the list which i suspect for the vast majority it isn't and never actually was.

housing, transport (well the roads mainly) local issues are what people really vote on.

Post edited by end of the road on

this is just screechy mumbo jumbo really.

as the poster correctly stated, you don't need to be religious to believe abortion should be restricted, or in the very tiny minority of cases that believe so, outlawed altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Yoozername.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

It is a confusing situation for me, on one hand I hate abortion for many reasons but on the other hand I am a misanthrope so shouldn't that mean I should support humans being reduced?

I find there are so many hypocrisies and double standards in the pro choice brigade, too many to discuss in one post.

Something I often wonder, would pro choice people also be pro suicide? After all suicide is just 1 person ending their own life but abortion is essentially 1 person ending another life (yes the life is attached to them but it still is a different person in its early developmental stages). If they are anti suicide or anti euthanasia then I would consider them hypocrites. Why shouldn't someone with a **** life not be allowed to end their life on their terms yet a woman has the right to end their offsprings life?

Another thing about these abortion votes is that there is no middle ground. Many people would agree with abortion in particular circumstances but if it was guaranteed the baby would be greatly disabled but when you support that you also open the floodgates to all the degenerates who want rid of the pregnancies caused by their one night stands.

The thing that irritates me most is that the pro choice brigade often say that the creatures life hadn't started yet so it is ok to kill it. The same people would consider a miscarriage as a death, make up your minds. If life starts at birth then why do you consider a miscarriage a death and why do you post up your baby scans photos on Facebook if "life starts at birth"?

I try not to think of the whole thing as it gives me a headache and increases my disgust for humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Was replying to the poster that asked what the bearded sky faery thought.

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Well as someone who is absolutely Pro Choice... I would very much love to hear what the "many hypocrisies and double standards" are in my position so I can correct them. I can not think of a single one. So if you find any in my posts... by all means do not hesitate to point them out to me! You would be helping me and I would consider it a favor and thank you for it, should I find your concerns to be well founded.

Until then though... I hope I can point out a few issues I find in your post.

Firstly to answer the question you ask, yes, most pro choice people I have encountered (which is relatively quite a lot given how active I was during the referendum time) also strongly support Euthanasia. Not all of them though... but I find the reasons they give for this are not as hypocritical or internally inconsistent as you might think. For example the most common disagreement I find with Euthanasia lies in the potential for it to be abused. They have a very justifiable fear that a sick and relatively helpless person might feel compelled or cajoled into choosing death when they otherwise might. And that is a conversation absolutely worth having even among the most ardent and strident of pro euthanasia advocates!

The first and most obvious example that jumps to mind in Irish Society is Michael Nugent. He campaigned a lot for pro choice on abortion. He also campaigns a lot for Euthanasia. His own wife died of a condition where they both agreed that, despite the law, he would assist her suicide should the time and need arise. And he would have faced and accepted the repercussions of this. I respect him for that. His love for his beautiful wife was such that he would accept prison and punishment in order to respect her right to die and her wish to die, at her chosen time.

Second... I have to say of all the many many pro choice people I have encountered I can not really think of any who espouse the "Life begins at birth" position you describe. I fear you may be very much misrepresenting and strawmanning the pro choice position. Though I withhold jumping to the conclusion you do so deliberately.

In fact right this moment the ONLY person I can think of who espoused the "Live begins at birth" position actually later switched to being ANTI choice, and espousing equally absurd anti abortion arguments. My suspicion is he (a board poster as it happens) was simply doing a "poe" on the Pro Choice position and was espousing a ridiculous version of it in order to make it look silly. As I recall one of his defenses of this position was.... I kid you not..... to claim that Mary Robinson agreed with him. But later switched to claiming abortion was bad because it prevented working and lower class women from bettering themselves. Again, I kid you not. To this day I am unsure if he was poe'ing either position or both.

Third when you say "it is still a different person in its early developmental stages" this is where I as a pro choice advocate would most strongly disagree with you. It may be a different biological entity and organism, despite it's attachment to the mother. That much I would agree with. But to call it a "person" for me strikes my ears as a nonsense. What aspect of a fetus would you assign "personhood" to? Most abortions occur in the area of 12 to 16 weeks development where, among other things, the faculty of consciousness has not even BEGUN to form. For me I see no more reason to consider such a fetus a "person" than I do a rock or a leg off a table. So when you are calling this thing a "person".... what attributes are you hanging that use of the word off exactly?

Fourth.... you ask why would people post pictures of things like a sonogram. That is an easy question to answer. The reason is because of "narrative". The people who post pictures of their fetus in development are showing us part of their story. A story that they believe and hope culminates in the production of a new person, a new baby, and a new stage in their life. Such a sonogram picture represents not their opinions of the state of "personhood" of the fetus in the moment of the image. But of the beginning of a beautiful story arc of the person they hope to create and bring into their lives and ours. As such there is NO contradiction between such an image, and a pro choice position. And the failure to realise such a story and see the unwanted death of such a fetus as an ending of that story arc... can be no less tragic or relevant. Even without recognising the death of the fetus as the death of an actual person.

Finally when you call people "degenerates" because they choose abortion for reasons you do not agree with (such as a one night stand) I would be compelled to press you to consider such a position more deeply. The abortion debate really comes down to one main question. Is there any reason to afford a fetus human rights.... or to afford it moral or ethical concern? If there is.... then of course we need to justify the reasons we might seek to abort. I would absolutely agree with you there. But if there is not.... and at 12/16/20 weeks I really think there is not..... then the REASONS someone might choose to abort are irrelevant. Even if they are distasteful to us, they are irrelevant. And none of our business.

Let me give you a weird analogy to food. But bear with me. I absolutely think you have the right to eat McDonalds. But your REASON for eating it might be distasteful to me. You might eat it because, for example, you are hungry and have no time to cook a good meal. Great. But your reason might be that you want to get super fat so you can get so obese you can claim disability allowance. I would find that reason MASSIVELY distasteful and immoral and disgusting. But I would STILL defend your right to choose to eat McDonalds. Because you have that right, whether I like your reason to exercise it or not, or I hate you for your agendas and incentives.

So unless you can find a reason to afford moral or ethical concern to a fetus, and assign it rights..... your distaste for why someone might have an abortion is your problem not theirs surely?

If someone for example told me they were having an abortion because they were trying to set the world record for most amount of abortions in a 10 year period I would find this disgusting and want to keep that person out of my life. I would STILL defend their right to have an abortion however. Just like if someone told me they were eating McDonalds because they have never had a heart bypass and were aspiring to get unfit enough to qualify for one.... I would be disgusted by this person and their motives.... but still defend their right to eat what they want.

As such... to go back to how I started this post.... I look forward to you finding any inconsistencies or hypocrisies or double standards in my position, points, opinions and claims. I have spent about 25 years weeding them out. So I would be grateful.... though very surprised.... if you find any more for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,574 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,574 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Get real. Nobody really regards a miscarriage as a death. Been there, done that, multiple times. Where are the inquests, the death certificates, the funerals? Nowhere and I've never heard even the most ardent anti-choice activist arguing for same.

Scrap the cap!

Sacrosanct is can be used a a synonym for “something one holds dear”, it’s not necessarily a religious term. I wait your response.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I voted yes in 2018.

My yes vote was in relation to exceptional circumstances and not beyond the foetal pole stage. Of course in order to have 'some' choice I had to vote for everything which the yes vote would allow.

At this point in time; if I could go back to 2018 I would vote no.

I do not regret my reasons for voting yes. I do however regret not being better informed on who was asking me to vote yes and what their motives were.

That's my personal thoughts on the situation. I have no interest in debating it with anyone.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

I was always pretty much pro choice till I saw the celebrations after the repeal the 8th ref.

No need to celebrate that, it was a necessary righting of a silly law, it's a tough choice but one that should be there as an ultimate resort.

But when I saw the celebrations!!! I mean , would people celebrate euthanasia being legalised ? - another tough horrible choice that should be legal as a last resort - but nothing to be celebrated!

I would still consider myself pro choice , but would like to see a sufficiently early limit on pregnancy ...24 weeks is just nuts ... almost murder.

Whenever I see yet another thread on abortion in After Hours:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My position on abortion is I'm not opposed provided the foetus inside can't feel pain during termination, I don't know what stage that consciousness emerges?

Of course there should be celebrations! We're there celebrations when women win the right to vote?

the reason I voted yes, was to repeal the 8th amendment. Which was a bar to me having complete and total rights over my own body and my own healthcare. To give a foetus of a few weeks, just as much right to live as me, a fully grown adult female, with a life and responsibilities, was disgraceful imo. It was all about restoring my human rights.

Oh and yes I would celebrate euthanasia being legalised, anything that allows people to obtain full human rights is fine imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I get the impression that the anti-choice people just want to be cruel. They say the unborn are to be protected but once they enter this world, they can go f*ck themselves apparently. I'm not pro-abortion but I am pro-choice. Had I been in Ireland, I'd have voted to Repeal.

Fair play to Colombia for allowing women a basic right of bodily autonomy.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

You would change your vote from 2018, because Columbia has now legalised abortion up to 24 weeks?

You do realise this thread relates to abortion law in Columbia, not Ireland?

Just making sure you're fully informed.

24 weeks is far too much.

The baby is viable at that stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

What do you mean “and”?

The baby is viable. You can’t just decide to snuff out life at that stage. You do realise the unborn baby feels pain?

Would it be ok to kill a newborn baby?

At what state should abortion on demand be available up to? If there was a vote where people could decide on the term length, what would you opt for?

That’s not what they meant and you know it. Stop putting words in people’s mouths in a pathetic attempt to win arguments, it’s childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Why is this shite in after hours?

Should it not be moved to current affairs as it's not exactly light hearted, and clearly there are others agendas at play...

We have been over it several year's ago...

Not our business what other countries abortion laws are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This thread is brought to you by The Iona Institute.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Because we’re allowed to have discussions even if you don’t like them, is that ok snowflake?

What do you mean “it’s not our business what other countries abortion laws are”?

You could take that attitude with anything. It’s not our business what’s happening to Ughyurs in China, it’s not our business what happened to Bosnians under Melosovic.

• Advertisement

And btw, I reported a disgusting post twice that depicts child rape of babies. But you conveniently ignored that.

I’m not buying this “mods are volunteers, mods are busy rubbish”, you’ve been posting several times in this forum inside and outside the capacity of moderators yet the post is still up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm far from a snowflake my dear, I'm pretty sure I'm on this planet a lot longer than you kid... 😉

Hook, line and sinker 🎣

No, it's not our business in a lot of cases as to what does go on in other places, obviously we can show support and solidarity with people affected with certain issues if we feel that way, especially if you look at the likes of what is happening in Ukraine currently...

I couldn't care less about what Colombia's abortion laws are, it's not going to affect me in my life, I'm sure they don't care why over 67% of Ireland voted to repeal the eighth amendment either, as it's not necessarily going to affect what they do in their day to day in Colombia.

I think your "thread" (rant) should be somewhere like current affairs, you know, where it pertains to, not in the "light hearted" after hours section...

The argument has already been won.

Whats pathetic and childish is people like you who can't accept that and keep trying to drag the same old "discussions" up over and over again.

Move on with your life, and let others make their own decisions.

It's funny that you state that the unborn are sacrosanct. Not babies, life, children or people. Unborn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

It's already been pointed out to you that third trimester abortions are incredibly rare and only happen when there's a grave medical diagnosis. such as that child will never live.

Do you honestly believe that a healthy woman with a healthy pregnancy would live through 6/7 months of pregnancy if she didn't want that child? That's half a year of nausea, weight gain heart burn, pelvic pain, becoming visibly pregnant so that strangers in the street are now commenting on/congratulating you on your pregnancy. Then to decide at that point "feck it, I change my mind." ?

Do you think she'd go through all that, and then choose to go through labour and the extended recovery period that entails when she could have chosen to terminate in the first trimester before her pregnancy was public knowledge, before her body changed and when the recovery period involved a day or two of bed rest and some paracetamol? It's just not a plausible scenario.

24 week abortions happen in worst case scenarios. None of us have any right to judge a person who has to make such a difficult choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Absolutely right, and it’s a disgrace that Irish women in this situation still have to travel abroad, denied medical treatment here.

Babies with Downes Syndrome are sometimes killed at 24 weeks gestation.

When twins are in the womb and one has Downes and the other doesn’t they often have to wait until later to avoid harming the baby without Downes when they are killing the baby with Downes.

Then maybe you should be campaigning on behalf of people with Downs Syndrome rather than bashing women and families whose circumstances you know nothing about and don't seem to have any empathy for.

There’s no reason to kill a baby with Downes Syndrome. None at all.

• Advertisement

I never said there was. Your the one bringing up a specific birth defect that's non life threatening and therefore not what I was referring to. But your already aware of that. Your just pissed off your thread isn't getting the response you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

IF you would celebrate euthanasia, it shows your morals - or lack there off ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Yeah because you either have a Repeal jumper in your wardrobe or you're a rabid fundamentalist catholic.

That's the problem with these type of threads, they're always black and white and the notion of shades of grey is not even entertained never mind tolerated by the people who find the likes of the above funny.

Glazers Out!

If course I would celebrate euthanasia being legalised. I would be delighted that people who wished to die with dignity are afforded the opportunity to do that in their home country on their own terms.

I have absolutely nothing wrong with my morals, thank you, I welcome people having the rights to their own decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do you understand what euthanasia means in the context Bubblypop used it? You don't think terminally ill people with no quality of life should not be allowed to take their own life if that is their wish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I have no issue with Euthanasia, what's your issue with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Has the bearded sky faery told you any different ? Sure pope Benny the Nazi was just caught lying and he actually faciltated child abuse before he was made chief zombie worshipper and while I don't pander to delusional adults normally I think the popes are supose to be the gods representive on earth ?

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

id happily vote in a referendum on euthanasia too , I see it as an entirely different issue to abortion regardless of ones position on the termination of pregnancy at different stages of term

Jesus.

That one word post is so disgusting.

I'm conflicted on my opinion on the matter but that response is awful.

No, it isn't. I've been reading the insincere outrage of the anti-choice brigade for years now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement