Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Oh, everyone knows, it's just the latest feigning to defend an indefensible position.

Again the resolution that MacManus voted against, nothing in there about escalating anything, which line do you disagree with? Was Ming wrong for going back on his vote?

The resolution:

- supports Ukraine's independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine and reiterates EU's policy of non-recognition of the illegal annexation of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol;

- underlines that the Russian military build-up at Ukraine's borders represents a threat to Europe's peace and security;

- calls on Russia to respect its international obligations, namely the principles and commitments of OSCE on the transparency of military movements;

- demands the EU's reduction of gas dependency on Russia;

Good to see progress on Maduro, guess you're at odds with SF there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,716 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The reason given by SF (I think it was Mary Lou speaking) was that they didn't think an escalation to confrontation was right at that point. That's a perfectly legitimate view to have.

As it turns out the sanctions failed and it escalated to an invasion and now a war.

*I don't have an issue with being at odds on 'some things' with SF btw. I've voted for FF and FG when I disagreed with some of the things they do. I would imagine all but party members would do that.

What did they think voting against the resolution would achieve? That resolution wasn't even about sanctions. Why hasn't MacManus followed Ming's lead in saying he was wrong?

What did voting for it achieve?

They didn't want to escalate the tensions. Jesus, it's not that hard to understand.

Ask McManus why he hasn't?

• Advertisement

This just doesn't ring true, anyone with a modicum of self awareness would have at least checked on the SF history around russia and putin before parroting the poor SF being picked on scenario, it just doesn't ring true, there are serious questions that SF should be answering and getting ahead of around this and all they can do is complain the government picked on them, someone who analysed these things critically would see this, I fully believe you've just been caught with maduro and backtracked as I'm sure there will be little other than toeing the party line in the future. The stalking of the thread also indicates otherwise (I usually find it interesting when someone has been completely disingenuous about something or hand wringing about others when they're in the wrong).

Do you condemn MacManus for not coming out saying he's wrong? The other 3 have either said they were wrong or doubled down on the vote, the silence from MacManus is telling.

What doesn't ring true now?

That people vote for parties while not agreeing with everything they say or do? I'd say that is part of the definition of a flaoting voter. Which is what I have always been right from my first election. I am closer to 60 than 50.

Why would I condemn him for not coming out?

Not wanting to escalate tensions is a perfectly legitimate stance to have. I might not agree with him but that doesn't mean he is not entitled to vote as he sees fit. If he thinks he was wrong and says it, fair enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mikethecop

voting for it showed putin that his behavior was unacceptable and may not be tolerated forever

voting against it show putin that he has supporting MEPs in Ireland and sf

surely you understand that much at least ?

The resolution didn't ask, 'do you support Putin'.

Putin and his henchmen have support in Europe, they are allowed to wash their billions through the banking system with so far, impunity. His ambassadors and diplomats are still in place. He ignored the resolution anyway.

So we've established that SF have serious questions to answer about their history with russia and putin.

Which makes their "woe poor me" attempt ring hollow.

(though it is a fairly common tactic for SF to show faux outrage).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mikethecop

you really would defend anything that they tell you to wouldn't you ?😯😯😯

cant fathom the mentality or rational myself ,

You haven't been able to show a word of support, I have shown statements where they criticise Russia for keeping a country 'under the thumb' etc.

I think it is clear where the 'faux' is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

So any party, including the Green party, who voted against sanctions, support Putin's Russia? That's a little silly no? I don't think Putin will be lining up for bread anytime soon.

Every single time it back fires and the public get reminders of the hypocrisy of FG. FG in particular. You would think they would learn.

I thought you wouldn't be ablw to show how the quoted statement is 'tacit support'. I was right it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Back to SF as the usual crew seems hellbent on trying to muddy the waters...

Did anyone catch the Saturday Show on RTE Radio 1 yesterday?

Lynn Boylan got absolutely destroyed. She was annihilated not only by Jack Chambers but also Independent TD Marian Harkin.

Marian Harkins comments towards the SF position and Lynn Boylen was the most devastating, exposing the lies that SF now are trying to say to cover their ass, when its plain for all to see that SF are the most anti-EU, anti-Natio and pro-Putin political party, not only on this Island but in all of Europe. They make UKIP look moderate.

Lynn Boylen's excuse? "She is anti-war, anti ALL wars..."

Someone should tell her that she is a member of SF, the political wing of the PIRA, who waged a 30-year campaign of war and terror on this island that killed over 2,000 people, including women and children and commit dozens of war crimes.

She is as anti-war as Putin.

The same line was used by the most staunch defender of SF here actually. Odd eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

She got a major mauling in fairness, and I would attribute that to the fact that Nooze Hannon was not presenting.

id give credit to PBH, who presented and Jack Chambers who ripped her out a new one.

In my opinion if Hannon was presenting she would make sure this didn’t happen but ‘events’ landed PBH in the chair and as a regular listener, made a huge difference.

The plan to launch the ‘dynamic duo’ O’Broin and Boylan as odds on bets for Dáil seats took a severe dunt.

Given Eoineens less than stellar performance recently the great plan seems holed below the waterline.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The topic is SF, not other political parties or politicians from other parties

Final warning - permanent threadbans for any posters trying to make it a discussion of other parties (where there are already active threads running for most of them)

Did you find that quote by her yet Mark?

How could anyone trust your assessment when you have been caught misquoting her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Cheers for that. I think Harkin summed it up best when she said that she has voted for all the resolutions SF opposed and never once voted for war.

Sinn Fein need to be open about their foreign policy. With the way the world is going we need to have a coherent foreign policy going forward. SF have campaigned against every EU treaty, objected to sanctions against Russia, have joined the states of Russia, China, North Korea, Iran in recognising an election in Venezuela that the whole civilised word has stated was rigged.

If SF are in government would Ireland be siding with Russia, China, North Korea and Iran more than we are with other democratic states ?

If SF are in government when the next Venezuelan election is called will Ireland be on the list of states that recognise a rigged election ?

If SF are in government will we be pulled from any EU defence mechanism damaging relations with other member states.

If SF get into power could we be facing IREXIT ?

Why would we be facing IREXIT?

Is this just more scaremongering?

Also: Why do we need to proclaim who we 'side' with?

We are a neutral country, we shouldn't be 'siding' blindly with anyone but taking decisions on a case by case basis.

Yes I've heard about the online campaign to try tie SF to supporting the invasion. No adult will take it seriously. Its just another desperate trolling action. Its just a party hack thing not a serious topic.

'Independent' Marian Harkin is a member of the ALDE group with Fianna Fail over in Europe.

Post edited by Brucie Bonus on

Must have seen the polls. Funny how often SF are the most important thing in Ireland or the world.

Yes I agree issue by issue is they way to go on these decisions but SF seems to be on the wrong side of these decisions. Is it not worrying that SF have sided publicly with Russia, North Korea and Iran on the election in Venezuela?

IREXIT comment was tongue and cheek but if SF are in government and further moves are made to bring the EU closer together what happens if SF reject ? Will they still bring the required referendum to the people. What happens if the referendum passes while SF are in government ?

SF have to supported the invasion. SF have however actively voted against resolutions in the EU Parliament sanctioning Russias troop build up on the Ukrainian boarder. The reasoning for this is they did not want to inflame tensions and are anti war, Boylan even tried the "Middle aged white men on suits" argument on the above clip but was fairly well schooled by Harkin.

SF's stance on Russia has changed that's a good thing but the reasoning behind it is not.

Unless they change the constitution, which itself requires the people's mandate, then they cannot take us out of the EU.

*It would worry me in the extreme if the EU was a hidebound, echo tunnel. Criticism of the EU or Nato or the US is not support of Russia.

I want our own Dáil accountable and representative just as I want the EU to be too.

If you cannot take criticism then you are not being democratic.

I would note that upon reading your post, I took IREXIT as a tongue in cheek comment, not sure how others on the thread read it.

It is interesting that it was the only comment responded to in another exclamation of outrage.

"Here be Sinn Féin, those who use sarcasm, do not enter."

(and feel free to point this out next time it happens as it surely will)

This was 'sarcastic'?

IREXIT comment was tongue and cheek but if SF are in government and further moves are made to bring the EU closer together what happens if SF reject ? Will they still bring the required referendum to the people. What happens if the referendum passes while SF are in government ?

• Advertisement

This is delusional. Supported the invasion? Unreal.

Advertisement