Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Haha, hopefully soon enough I won't see this kind of shìt posted.

Well the vocal minority probably will keep posting nonsense on all COVID threads for another while, but surely they'll get tired of it at some stage. Two years of copy paste posting must be boring by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Son works in retail said he'll still have to wear the mask

Wtf is that about are the shops deciding their own health policies for their staff or can they just not let it go

I'm sure he will, I'm not asking for him

Just seems odd they've been told to contiy wearing them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It’s dreadful, just optics to show the customers how much they care about ‘safety’. They shouldn’t have the right to impose them on staff, I intend to complain to any business that does this.

• Advertisement

Seems to be just window dressing

Trouble is when one chain starts this crack of staff wearing masks the rest will start the virtue signalling as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

@Cyrus Correct, my desire for space was there well before covid, but covid has made it more relevant. I'm not on about pubs, clubs, matches, parades, etc. I won't be attending any of them. I'm on about shops, places everyone has to go at some point. As someone else said, why stand so close to the person in front of you in a queue at the shop? It made no sense before, and makes less now that we all should be far more aware of how easily a sickness can spread. I'm not expect 2 meters, but nobody needs to stand in my back pocket. That's all I'm asking. In queues in shops, etc, just don't stand so close. A very simple ask, and one which seems to annoy people no end. It's like 40 people might skip the queue if they leave a foot of space... And I believe the mask will assist with not even getting the sniffles, because aside from 3 days of feeling crap due to a shared keyboard, I've been 2 full years without even a sniffle. That's why I'll continue to wear it, because we can't trust sick people to wear them to protect everyone else (like in Asian countries), so I'll do what little I can to keep myself healthy. Don't want some dose coughing into my neck while I buy milk.

@CalamariFritte@CalamariFritti Yes, I have. But I had already stopped going to crowded places, so it was just shops. I'll admit to not being as aware as I am now of how easily virus/bacteria can spread in social situations, so covid opened my eyes to that (coupled with the above mentioned not being sick for 2 years proving this point to me). Was I as aware back then as I am now, I probably would have worn one. The good thing about this is, hopefully, people will be less likely to call others out on wearing one now, whereas before covid if someone was wearing a mask, it felt like it would be open season for ridicule by some. I'm sure we'll see stories from next week on of people being harassed for wearing them. No doubt in my mind. I love the Asian mentality, if you have a cold or symptoms, you wear the mask to protect everyone else. Over here, we have heroes who would attend an office if they had pneumonia!

@Swaine As someone below your post pointed out, you didn't read mine. You jumped to a heated conclusion without actually understanding what I was asking. Why should I leave the queue because the dose behind me thinks standing in my pocket is acceptable? You don't have to keep 2m away, a foot will do. It's not much, and no one will rob your place in the queue. Your attitude is exactly why people have given up trying to educate others. You care for no one but yourself, but you'll pretend it's good for everyone. I'll leave it at that. I know not to engage any further.

Ah sure, complain away and let us know how did you get on with that approach..

What will ultimately happen next week is that people will largely stop wearing masks and won't bother carrying one around anymore.

So any shops trying to force them on people will lose out.

Once they see the financial impact they will see sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Any business can set their own rules. They realise covid is still around and not taking the chance. Name the shop, so that responsible people can shop there.

• Advertisement

It's one of the convenience store chains attached to forecourts

Who knows better the businesses or NPHET ?

Can't have it both ways

What difference would staff wearing masks make to you?

For the last 2 years, NPHET know best apparently.

But not anymore according to those who don't want the pandemic to be over.

Ya Tony came down hard with restrictions

And now he's apparently gone soft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Thanks I’ll do that, and will encourage everyone to do likewise and not be so passive.

Businesses doing this ‘for’ their customers will change their minds as they discover that their customers don’t like it.

Yeah right. Keep encouraging. Not so sure about outcome. But of course you do whatever you want. Definitely doesn't affect me and I doubt it's going to affect any shops you are visiting.

Are you referring to yourself as "their customers", or you speaking for some group of customers? Or you hiding behind some imaginary "let rest of us to get on with whatever" group?

Still posting on behalf of your son? Or this one is yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's interesting how the narrative has seamlessly shifted to this notion of being "responsible" or "thoughtful" or somehow more civic-minded now that the mandate is about to be lifted and even NPHET (who we've been told to follow by the same people) have agreed they're no longer required.

It goes to show that all along the primary motivator was really just virtue-signalling high-horsery but still desperately wanting to fit in and be compliant than anything to do with actual risk or threat to public health for many.

Nothing changes... the same mindset applied when the Church was dictating things here.

• Advertisement

Talking shìte as usual there. At least no change in trying to push your narrative since the beginning of the pandemic. Great to see your high horse is still neighing loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Maybe related to Maggie Cotter and doesn't have a child.

Indeed, it actually goes to show that all along the majority of people dd not need a mandatory hanging over them to follow public health advice. Shame it was not enforced more, a well get another chance to enforce it far more stricter soon no doubt.

Meanwhile, Nursing Homes Ireland (NHI) is encouraging all nursing home visitors to wear facemasks against the backdrop of a concerning increase in the number of outbreaks in nursing homes.

So please inform people of this.

You really have a thing for authority and enforcement don't you? Assuming you're actually serious with this stuff that is of course!

You come across like you will really struggle with a normal society again but I suggest you try and adapt quickly because it's time to move on.

There's a lot more serious issues facing this country at the moment than lingering Covid anxiety

The "shyte talk" is from those wishing for restrictions to be enforced and lamenting the removal of the requirement for masks when even NPHET (an extremely conservative group) conceded the point because..... What? Omicron which presents as the sniffles for the vast majority of people who get it? A fear of the common cold now?

If the only reason is to grandstand about being more considerate or whatever then I'm afraid that's just proving my point.

While the mandatory mask-wearing requirement is set to lift from Monday, February 28th, some employers will continue to require their staff to wear a mask and are within their rights to do so, according to an employment law solicitor.

Employment law solicitor Richard Grogan told BreakingNews.ie that employers who choose to continue with a mask-wearing requirement in the workplace are within their legal rights to do so.

He said all they have to do is conduct a health and safety assessment.

"The employer has to put in a health and safety assessment, but that’s not the hardest thing to do, they simply say we have immunocompromised people, we don’t know if everyone is vaccinated, and I can’t ask, therefore I’m taking a conservative line on it," he explained.

"They’re entitled, if the employer says this is a health and safety issue, they are entitled to be conservative, being conservative is the basis for health and safety, that’s why there are screen guards."

They can certainly ask, but it's an employee's market at the moment and just as a lot of people are looking at a company's flexibility and WFH arrangements, so too will they look at any unnecessary mask requirements as well as part of the decision to apply, accept, or indeed stay with a company.

Well you probably having a go at Seanergy there. Maybe you point your post at him. And as far as I can see, you are still talking shìte.

No mandate for mask wearing from Monday on, which in my own opinion is good. I'll keep wearing one where I see it fit. No point to fook masks into the bin only because mandate is lifted.

In my case it's not fear, but I rather avoid as you say, sniffles, because it's annoying to be sick and have to work, well for me anyway.

And in your case, you are overusing fear, sniffles etc. in your posts. In my own opinion of course.

• Advertisement

Did you wear masks prior to 2020 when you had a cold or in winter cold season generally? If not, why not?

Was it that you were concerned you would have been looked at strangely for doing so?

Edited to add : and to be clear, I don't really care whether someone wears a mask or not going forward. My problem is with folks like Sean who would impose their choices on others for no rational reasons that I can discern if they had their way. Its these folks that will continue to complain in offices or give dirty looks to random people for not wearing one in shops. These people would drag us all backwards if they could.

Advertisement