Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Peace is good I’m sure it will save many lives, on the other hand Russia is faltering and if the resistance keeps up and the west keeps propping up Ukraine then Putin will be finished.

I can’t help feel peace talks and a solution would only keep Russia in the position it is in and keep Putin in power.

The world moving forward would be a better place with a Russia that we all get along with.

or actually the sanctions as they are might remove him, don’t remove sanction until there is a government change in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I presume that Putin won’t be going to the talks that are planned ? I ask because if he did then maybe the military could pull off a successful version of what was tried and failed in 1991 against Gorbachev.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

The theory is in the context of the detonation of one nuke.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He is but if those backing him in The Kremlin decide they've had enough he goes. It's been done in the past with other leaders. Putin has shown them all how to create trumped up charges to take care of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Does anyone find it strange that the NATO countries are being so open about what exactly they're sending to Ukraine? They seem to be there now in all but boots, you have to wonder at what point does Putin interpret that as full on support and decide to attack NATO? It feels like we're on a knife edge really at the moment

No, it's still at the stage of a proxy war. No attack would be mounted against targets on Russian soil by any member of NATO and there will be no NATO troops on the ground engaging Russians on Ukranian soil. If anything hits a target on NATO territory then that would change very rapidly and we'd all be in the sh1t. Ireland is not in NATO of course but is close geographically to plenty who are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

there will be a night of the long knives in Moscow, a putsch

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In Greece the first of two military transport planes, loaded with defence equipment, has departed from Eleusina for Ukraine. Portable rocket launchers, ammunition and Kalashnikov rifles will be aboard the two C130’s. The shipments will be delivered via Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭uptherebels

You don't seem to be reading anything.

You don't understand that you can't just drop off 3000 troops.

You can't backtrack from this ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Apart from the points that you mentioned, a big concern of mine is the presence of Perimetr or "Dead Hand". Russian and Soviet leaders have been scared sh*tless about a decapitation strike since the 1960s and have tried to insure themselves against it. That is why Moscow is protected by what is likely the most powerful ballistic missile defense system on the planet.

Perimetr is another aspect of this fear. Details about it are scarce in the west beyond confirmation that it exists and is operational, but in essence, it is a semi-autonomous computer system that is designed to ensure a second strike is launched even if the entire political and military leadership of the country is eliminated. Once activated, release control for a retaliatory strike is delegated from the Kremlin to a dedicated command bunker whose exact location is unknown but likely to be somewhere in the Ural Mountains. There, a computer system will survey sensors all across Russia for signs of nuclear blasts and when these are registered, and contact with Moscow cannot be made, the computer will signal a retaliatory strike. Now, the actual push of the button still needs to be done by a human crew as a final safeguard, but that will just be a two man crew in that bunker. Once they decide to go ahead with the strike, a ballistic missile carrying radio equipment will be launched on a predetermined trajectory that leads it over any missile fields still operational and broadcast a radio signal triggering an automatic launch of any remaining ICBMs. In effect, it's a doomsday machine.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

It's so striking the difference in the president and foreign minister etc in Ukraine vs Putin when you see them speaking to their nations. The latter is hidden behind a big desk slumped over on a gold throne, while the former speak confidently, passionately standing tall front and centre. Speaking directly to the listener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kulebanot not mincing his words. Pretty much calling out Mario Draghi and Viktor Orban for limiting SWIFT sanctions. And then this:

"Russian oil and gas now contains Ukrainian blood"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

first time in a long time Ive watched CNN and I think Mitt Romney has a good chance of landing the presidency in 2024 should he run

he is extremely impressive on the " state of the union " programme right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

However, if restraint is shown by the West, in the case of one or two going off, then Russia will devour itself. I genuinely believe that the generals will not agree to launch. Does anyone know what the steps are in Russia regarding a launch? I know plenty about aviation, nothing about the Nuke systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have been saying this for years, Putin is a sociopath; he is immeasurably dangerous. The US needs to be contacting any senior contacts they have in the Russian military and advise they do somethng about his idiot, and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, you're OK with #2xIMPOTUS licking Vlad's nads, calling him a genius and a peacemaker? While all the other ex POTUS categorically condemned him? Propaganda my hole,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I say something drastic will be said the Ukrainian president at the talks. I would say nuclear weapons will be mentioned and I wouldn't be surprised if 1 or 2 are used in Western Ukraine if they don't bow to Russian demands. I just can't see Putin letting all the weapons etc. keep coming through from there, if that keeps happening there is no way Russia will get the upper hand, he knows well this will stop weapons etc from. coming into Ukraine then and let's be honest there is no way if that is done with him using them if he does use 1 or 2 nukes no way America or Europe or any other country will stay involved helping them if he mentions he will use them on their country and he states Russia will burn with them. He will show he has used them and is willing to keep using them and that will back the rest of the world out of Ukraine, he will have shown the rest of the world he has and will use them. Otherwise if he doesn't do that Russia is going to be bled dry. Its either that or accept your loses and keep trying to take Ukraine the way they are and its not working put for Russia in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Yes, and then the Russian/American dead hand systems will wipe the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

What will the rest of the world do if Zelensky is killed at the negotiation? For some reason I don't 100% trust Lukashenko's impartiality...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Is he a sociopath or a psychopath? I think the latter is generally considered worse, which is why I think he's the latter.

I see people calling him insane - I think that's the easy way out. A psychopath can be very rational. The question is working out what it is that he (and it's usually a he) wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

More EU countries have now closed their airspace to Russian airliners, Turkey sounding off like they are about to close the strait to Russian warships possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I hope they left the keys in them and that the Ukrainians can get them out an put them to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What is the likely hood of a Russian civil war is putin is stopped by someone in Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tileman

Don’t think he will go personally. He will send a delegation.

Zelensky won't attend; most likely, it'll be a delegation representing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Been more than a few Putin-supporters on this forum for years. That's fine, free speech. But they are very meek now I've noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

You seem to have misinterpretated my question. I know that NATO will not go into Russia, or even to Ukraine. My question was, with NATO sending so many supplies into Ukraine, at what point does a flailing, desperate, under pressure Putin decide that he may as well go all in on a NATO country given they're currently so heavily involved anyway....

And I say this as a resident of a NATO country bordering Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

If he uses a nuke of course the west will be forced to retaliate and will retaliate with much more force. Standing back is not an option.

I sincerely hope it doesn't come to this but I am prepared mentally that it may well.

And this is off the basis that Putin is not a rational person right now. The Russian generals better get working to take him out.

IF, and its a big if, Putin nukes part of Ukraine to get the West to back off, it pretty much means Russia becomes a pariah state at least as long as Putin is in charge. Not a great strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Hope they send the Klitschko brothers along with them as muscle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement