Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

I think he must be cracking up. As another poster said, he's been allowed to run his rogue state with little interference for 20 years, enriching him and his cronies. Now he stands alone with the eyes of the world on him, and allies deserting him, sanctions, no air passage. It must feel like his end of days.

The idea of talks is bizarre. Invade a country, and after 3 days engage in talks to end hostilities because it's going so badly. Whilst I understand Zelenskys taking part as an effort to end the bloodshed, part of me wishes he told Putin to go f**k himself, you started it and the only way to end it is a complete withdrawal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Crazy sentiment that needs to be nipped in the bud straight away. Ordinary, innocent Russians should be left the hell alone.

The closely Putin connected in the West should be sent packing and their host countries know full well who they are, but ordinary Russian immigrants have nothing to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

What an idiotic thing to say. Just look what is happening to people who are protesting: arrest, beatings, jail.

I remember video of guided missles from the first gulf war in U.S. debriefings and that was 1990.

I remember the luckiest cyclist in the world passing through just before a guided missle struck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's also a recognition of what they should have been doing over the past decade, what the experts were telling them they should have been doing over the past decade, and how people going "why spend money on defense when we need (insert social support structure here)" are not looking at the big picture. A military capability is not something you can buy immediately just by spending money, it is fortunate for Europe that the attack fell on ukraine and not the EU. If you need the capability, you need it now, not after a year of implementation.

Ukraine's defense budget is 4% of GDP, this is proving, after the fact, to be money well spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

unfortunately Putin does not seem to be a rational actor and he is surrounded by useful idiots

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Fully agreed. Russians are a fine people, their country has been stolen for the last 20 odd years (literally) by a mob crew. They should not be held to account. We know who is responsible for this - there are probably 100 Russian men that led us to this point - it's a very narrow strand of people. Pretty much everyone else in Russia is reluctantly along for the ride.

You can listen to military advisers but if that had been done during the Cuban missle crisis there would have been escalation to Nuclear war.

Counsel from Military experts is fine but Elected Politicians make decisions and the decision was that carrot rather than stick for Russia and finesseing fudges was the chosen path up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

That whole nuclear preparedness spiel is nothing more than to scare people. Are the usually not nuclear prepared? Especially at a time of war? Yeah I don't buy it, why announce it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭jackboy

That would be a terrific propaganda win for Putin and massively increase his support at home. Where do people get these ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

China needs to step in and force Moscow's hand on this.

China didn't sign up for nuclear winter that would itself wipe China off the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is a country who until these very recent decisions have been very mindful of their own history. I really don't see that as a reason to reprimand them as they were in a very unique situation and that policy served them well for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I'm not expecting success from talks, but it's a better step than the current war. Ukraine negotiating from an increased position of strength now

From the Guardian:

"Ukraine’s foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba said “we will not give up a single inch of our territory” ahead of talks agreed between the Ukrainian and Russian delegations.

Russia initially said it did not want talks, then said it wanted talks with conditions. Now, after a series of military setbacks that some observers say may have shocked Russian president Vladimir Putin, the conditions have been dropped – which Kuleba said was “already a victory”."

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Amias

Western Military command will simply be discussing the situation directly with the Russian Military Command. They have connections going back decades and will be able to get a Russian pulse check.

Talks by who about putting guardrails around Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Cancelling of visas != "ethnic cleansing". I suppose there's a chance this might be ended if pressure piles on Russia, but if it doesn't (+ casualties and death and destruction continue to mount up) and/or Putin succeeds in the end here, yes they should be removed from the West and can go home to enjoy life in Russia's brand new Empire & sphere of influence with Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russia could possibly flatten Ukraine (although I understand it is already pretty flat), but it's not that simple. In wars that are not total and not existential, you still have to manage your diplomatic relations. Hearts and minds. The territory Russia would gain from a much more aggressive approach to this war would pale into insignificance with the economic and diplomatic penalties they would be sledgehammered with and completely isolate themselves on the world stage. As it is, pretty much every western person, and every non-aligned has to be sympathetic towards Ukraine on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes, it is time for Xi to whip out his dick and swing it. It will look great on his part. Russia needs China. They may not feel they need Europe anymore but they cannot live without both. But Xi will come across as the peacemaker, great Public Relations

(and lots of future blind eyes turned)

• Advertisement

Targeting Russians because of their nationality, over what Putin is doing abroad, is just as stupid as targeting Chinese people by association due to COVID-19.

It's exactly the same dumb level of stupidity and moronic-level racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

De-escalation has to be main political objective now, with deterrent formation and scenario planning taking place in the background. The logical outcome based on precedent a week ago would have been the full implementation of the Minsk Agreement and ruling out NATO membership. The long game would be to contain Putin until he can no longer be contained, because nuclear war is unthinkable for reasons long known.

That said, Putin is clearly becoming more and more deluded in his obsessions and attitudes, so perhaps goading him into ever more farcical decisions may hasten his demise or chasten his behaviour. His history of political assasinations, underpants poisoning, childish intimidation, is starting to accumulate into one large very ugly picture of someone who is morally and mentally degenerating. The old Putin, while cold and cunning, still wished to be accepted and liked among peers, i.e. normal social behaviour....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I assure you, tanks remain extremely important and remain the backbone of any attacking force. They are, however, very intolerant of misuse and must be correctly supported.

Remember, people have been prophesising the end of tank domination since at least 1973 and the hammering the vaunted Israeli armor Corps took at Suez.

Russian police have detained more than 900 people at pro-Ukraine demonstrations in 44 cities.

This takes the total number of arrests since 24 February to 4,000, according to an independent protest monitoring group.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

There is zero chance of Putin using nukes in Ukraine. Even if he wanted to, what would he hit? If the last few days have proved anything is that the Ukrainians are highly dispersed and mobile, air and ground bombardment has had little effect in clearing the way into major cities.

There’s an excellent media briefing by Schwarzkopf on the first Gulf War where he says to attack defended positions you need at least three times the number of boots on the ground, when they are dug in with fortifications you need at least 5 to 1. They managed it through carpet bombing a clear defensive and fortified line, creating a sea landing as a diversion then going around the main fortified line deep into Iraq itself. Putin has none of these options, it’s going to be street by street fighting against guys going from corner to corner with NLAWs and RPGs which pretty much neutralise the armour advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

When the eye is off the ball, i.e. talks and so called diplomacy, and sighs of relief, that's when I'd be worried about a sneaky move by Russia. Ok I need a rest from all this....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I don't recall boards.ie featuring all that prominently in the second half of Threads.

Or the internet. Or time to have silly political rows while struggling to stay alive...

Some Ukrainian government MP argued that Putin introduced this nuclear deterrence issue as a negotiation tactic with Ukraine.

It may well just be that; an empty threat.

• Advertisement

What are the children/grandchildren status of the generals. Them agreeing with nuclear action is akin to personally putting a bullet into the heads of all their families.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement