Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭rrs

Cavan don't usually name their team this early anyway, not under Mickey Graham.. But if they did, it was probaly the odd Saturday, the day before the game. And then a load of changes from the orginal team. A bit of a nonsense.

What are they are trying to hide in Division 4.? Mayo name their team early, as do Galway, usually after training on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Gilcreest isn’t on the panel this year. He was injured at the start of the club championship last year but played in later rounds.

Kingscourt match report that he played full game:

Perhaps TED has joined again but the info I got two weeks ago was that he wasn’t involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Has the Sligo game been refixed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

For some completely nonsensical reason I was on the terrace for the Clare game, which meant that at spells i couldn't even face the pitch with the hailstones lashing into my face, hence not remembering Connolly coming on.

Bored as i was last night, I was looking back at some of the panels for league fixtures in 2019. Bearing in mind, Mickey was still in with Mullinalaghta at that point, but he's more or less kept the panel fairly consistent barring the retirements of Mackey and McVeety (and obviously names noted above like Paul Graham, Rehill, Stephen Murray and so on).

The names I spotted as no longer being involved were Kevin Tierney, Jack Brady, Pierce Smith, Barry Fortune, Niall Clerkin and Niall McKiernan, Bryan McGee and Doughty. Probably have missed a few others as well.

They should name a panel of 30/35 before the National League. There is players like Clerkin,Timoney, McGee,Doughy who have been on panels and no clarification that were dropped or opted out.

The top Counties, Tyrone or Mayo they reveal who is there ,and keep supporters updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Sligo game refixed for the only free weekend that there is. Sunday week.

Mickey won’t even tell the local podcast who is injured when we are 20/1 ON favourites to beat Carlow this weekend. It’s all a bit pathetic to be honest.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

It's needless. Also needless that Cavan are playing Division 4 football. Derry going well in Division 2. Potentially 5 Ulster teams in Division 1 next year.

Well with the changes voted through today, League football is now hugely important even for championship. My understanding is no more back door and provincial finalists plus 8 next teams based on League standings compete for All Ireland in 4 groups of four.

U19 grade motion defeated.

Interesting topic on the We Are Cavan interview with Mickey re him saying some of the new additions to the panel need time to get up to intercounty speed before they are ready to feature in games. Is that not a change from last year where a number of players joined the panel and broke into the starting 15 fairly quickly?

Has Mickey been burned by the likes of McEvoy, Timoney & O’Connell getting playing time relatively quickly only to exit the panel?

• Advertisement

On what basis do you feel the new additions are not good enough for a Division 4 game against Carlow where we are such short favourites? The two Laragh lads for example have played to a very high level in a less fancied side in the senior championship.

Allianz Football League Rd 4 (FULL TIME) Tipperary 1-13 (16) Sligo 1-9 (12)

Surprising result.

Tipperary had been stuttering in the league but that was a good win. They have lost a few good players, Michael Quinlivan, Liam Casey, McGrath, but still have some quaity in the team like Conor Sweeney, Jack and Conal Kennedy.

Sligo are erratic. McEntee would promotion in his second yea,r to justify the expense they are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

It's not really that surprising, Sligo have been flattered by a very poor carlow team missing 8 starters through suspension and scraped past wexford

Tipp will be our hardest game in this division, we need to send out a statement of intent tomorrow and put up a big score

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Do under 16's need a ticket for league games?

I’m fairly certain that under 16s are free

TED named on the 26 so he is back in. No Martin Reilly in the 26.

Wind with us second half but we’re very lucky not to have conceded a goal here.

A 4 pt win. Cavan haven't hammered any team in Division 4 yet, and haven't scored a goal 4 games. 19 pts is decent scoring ,but conceded 1- 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

4 point win against probably the worst team in the country..Gearoids brilliance as usual saved us from another embarrassing (Waterford 2006 type result)

I just don't see where we are going at the minute.

They beat Waterford so are not the worst team in the country.

We are really struggling to put two good halves of football together. We were doing alright by half time today but the second half was poor.

The full forward line is not contributing enough from play.

Wasn’t at the game due to Covid. Was Gerry Smith injured? Seemed a strange time to take him off 3 mins into the second half - why not just do it at half time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Did Galligan get a red or two yellows?

Straight red for a clash off the ball. Think he swung an arm and linesman indicated it was an elbow.

Didn’t see Smith pull up but seemed to be one of those ones that he was given a few minutes to see if could run it off.

Not being able to score a yet would be a concern. I remember when Cavan were in Division 2 it took until Round 5 before they scored the first goal ,but they should be getting goals against Wexford and Carlow at home

Cavan will probaly do enough to get Promotion but they should be making a statement with the performances.

So next week we are possibly going to play Sligo away without G Smith, T Galligan, J McLoughlin and M Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

I think it is going to be a long time until we see Division 2 again going by performances last year and this year.

• Advertisement

We should be beating London & Waterford so win one of the two games against Sligo & Tipp and we’ll be promoted. That said, this is Division 4 and the aim has to be winning every game.

The next two weekends should give us a better idea of where exactly we are.

Interesting to see that Mickey did rotate today with Finnegan & Argue starting. Oisin Brady was also on relatively early.

Have to say I find the treatment of Luke Fortune a bit harsh. He seems to constantly find himself on the bench despite playing very well when we won Ulster.

Advertisement