Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrangea

Options
  • 27-02-2022 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering if there's anything we should be doing with the hydrangea as per the attached pic. They've been in the house we bought for decades - and are always a riot of colour in summer. Just looking sad and brown now !.

Thanks, K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Our one in the front looked like this.... himself cut it back rather aggressively. Looking out now and green shoots are starting to appear.

The one out the back stays green all year but is in a more sheltered spot.

Disclaimer: I've an awful reputation for murdering plants. So ....😅

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm not sure if it's to late to prune but I'd certainly consider pruning later this year . I've also read that's it's wise to leave dead foliage on as you've done as it gives some frost protection. Honestly, if you can see fresh buds , you could remove the dead flower heads when frost risk is low or just leave it alone but certainly a pruning advisable at the end of this year in my humble opinion, just be careful, there was a late frost last year and many Hydrangea did not flower , mine included, frost got at buds 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Leave it alone until all risk of frost is gone, then you can cut back to first bud you can see or if you want to reduce the size cut back further or take out crowded stems. Every bud you cut off though is a flower lost so don't go too mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree with this. I would leave it well enough alone for the moment. My Mum has one and never prunes it and it thrives during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

Thanks all - don't think it got too much attention in the past so I'll be gentle !. K

• Advertisement
Advertisement