Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinsters strongest 23 is still comfortably the best in the competition. There's also 4 or 5 young players outside of that who can slot into that 23 and play well. But the days of heavily rotating the side and still expecting bonus point victories are done, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Looking back last night. It wasn't a perfect game but there was some excellent positive points to take away.

I think our biggest issue was we tried to run too much. A lot of what we did clicked but we needed to play a little less in the middle third. Give the Lions due respect and pin them back.

Osborne was very very good. A lot of what we did well came from him. His running is so balanced and and his passing is top drawer. And a genuine weapon of a left boot. When he kicks it, it's not a clearance. It's a chance to build an attacking platform from further back than most kickers haha.

Joe McCarthy was also hella impressive. A grizzled hardy performance with some nice highlights too. Definitely one to watch. The scrum struggled on his side and he has to take a little bit of responsibility for that. But he's a young one. It will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Violent Mediocrity

And what do you want a pat on the back for evolving the squad to keep yourself relevant? If Cullen doesn’t win the European Cup outright over the next three season he should be dumped. This phoney rotation and trimming down the squad experimentation is an treading water exercise to make it look like you know what you’re doing or managing prudently. He’s won one Heineken in 8 seasons despite having 30% less games than the French and English and has a bigger squads less game time and substantially more funds. It’s like Bertie reprimanding dole spongers-inverted populism!

Post edited by Violent Mediocrity on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Another addition to the ignore list 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s funny I was looking at him last week standing beside Baird and I really can’t see where all the big man talk comes from. Maybe he’ll bulk up in the future but he isn’t a monster by any stretch of the imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

But sure I thought it was Lancaster who was really the main man, or something like that.

When Leinster win, it's Lancaster who's the real mastermind behind it all.

When Leinster lose, Cullen is useless and a fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think he looks soft. I remember watching Ian nagle and thinking he hit rucks and mauls and HE buckled rather than making an impact on the maul. Dunne looks like that - he might have size but he doesn't impose himself on the game an nobody wouls ever call him an "enforcer". I wish him well at Exeter, but I'm fine with the decision to let him go.

In fact, an Exeter fan friend was asking about him and I said i didnt really know why a club with top European aspirations was interested in him. I think he is a gamble on maybe becoming a decent journeyman, but I doubt he'll ever be an Ireland contender.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I definitely think he's developed more of an edge from watching his last few appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

If the rumours are true he just wants another Euro before he leaves, hence the 1 years extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Because if Lancaster leaves you need to find a world class replacement. Cullen could be replaced within Leinster. I always thought Cullen and Axel were the same standard only that Lancaster saved Cullen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm not sure how anyone could even pretend to know what exactly Cullen and Lancaster do respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Do you think he's developing the edge he needs? I haven't seen it but to be fair. I've only seen him make 2 sub appearances in the last 2 weeks in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

In fairness, neither you or anyone else on boards.ie are in any way competent to assess Cullen as a coach.

All we can assess are the outcomes, and nobody outside the camp knows how much credit is due to which coach. Cullen inherited a mess from O'Connor - but built a squad, a coaching team, and a culture to create one of the best club sides in Europe.

That is excellent leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody else spot TOB's try saving tackle on Fri? A cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

The situation that perhaps gives the most pointers is how Cullen got on by himself in 2015/2016. Leinster went from making the European Cup semis under Matt O'Connor in 2015 to finishing bottom of their pool in 2016 under Cullen to making the semis in 2017 with Lancaster on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Violent Mediocrity

Cullen’s built a homegrown squad and promoted youth to an unequalled degree on previous coaches. He knows his base and he knows most of the supporters like promotion of youth. 

Promoting youth brings in young talents and stars but it also makes him look less conservative like say Eddie O Sullivan who was lambasted for 6 years online and elsewhere for his extreme conservatism. Cullen is extremely aware of how he is painted online and could be accused of possibly guilty of even sculpting opinion online to some degree. He is painting himself as the opposite to EOS.

Has it worked? To some degree. I would argue that the Irish success was due to Joe Schmidt and had nothing to do with Cullen. Leinster success - nobody knows how it works but I think we can all say Lancaster is an extremely positive influence and without him we wouldn’t be half as good.

There’s no way of proving that, they’re a package and you take them both together. I wonder is there any way of getting that info from anyone on here with sources inside or connected? 

Hes now trimming down the squad substantially and putting out soundbytes through his proxies on here and elsewhere that there will be a lot less experimentation and rotation and they will stick with a set 23 players for most games during the season. Why he’s doing it I cannot say other than I have feelings he trying to portray the image of evolution and keep himself relevant.

Do I like the brand of rugby they have created? I have always said from around 2019 onwards we were playing a grinding game plan which keep it tight shave off margins and percentages in our intensity vs opposition and eventually opposition would fall off tackles and space would open. It wasn’t attractive and had been that way for up until recently and even before 2018. It was ruthlessly effficient, not an amazingly attractive style but nonetheless a winning formula. Not my way of doing things but then the game is pro and winning is everything now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

You mean judge him on his first season as a head coach, were half his first choice 23 were absent from pre season because of the RWC and only arrived back a week before Europe began.

Under Schmidt in 2013 Leinster didn't make it out of the group stages having gone back to back European Cup winners the previous 2 seasons. Schmidt, the man who has gone on to become the most successful coach in Irish rugby history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I seem to remember in 2013 they just missed out on qualifying for the knockouts on the last day. Munster put up a big score after Racing got a red card, if I recall correctly. Leinster regathered themselves and finished the season looking like a top 4 side side in Europe. Hardly the same as losing five out of six and finishing bottom of the pool.

2015/2016 Leinster also got completely outclassed in the Pro12 Final by a team that had hardly any internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, there's no gloss to be put on that season, it was terrible. But fair dues to Cullen and Leinster. They did whatever was needed to turn it around, including bringing in Lancaster, and rather than being the beginning of a sustained decline a la Munster, it was a blip. But watching the France match against Ireland, and seeing how our (mostly Leinster) scrum was bossed I wonder if that part of the problem, which we've seen at the business end in Europe over the last few years, persists for Leinster as wells Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

If I remember correctly, prior to 2015/16 Leo Cullen was thrust into one of the biggest jobs in club rugby at very late notice, having only retired as a player a year before, after one season as forwards coach. He played with nearly all of that squad.

He got the job when he was 37. He didn't do a 6 year world tour as "kicking coach" or "assistant backs coach" at the best clubs in France and NZ respectively before taking a head coach job like ROG did. He did a year as forwards coach and was straight into the top job.

Are we really basing all judgement on Cullen as a head coach on that one season 7 years ago, his first ever season?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah, there's no gloss to be put on that season, it was terrible. 

Leinster topped the Pro14 table that season. For pretty much any other club, that would be a lot more than 'gloss'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jesus lads it’s a poster with an ongoing beef with Leo, it’s obviously nothing to actually do with Leinster as if I remember correctly he used to spout nonsense about Cullen being just a PR guy.

I think most Leinster fans would feel like a European season like that is a bad season even with the Pro14/equivalent in the trophy cabinet, and Leo wouldn’t disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Why do people still give some of the more transparent posters so much oxygen?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Miriam Gonzalez Durantez

I see two people questioning Leo here. In any case, is it unacceptable to you because you outnumber and discredit the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

One is a crank that has a gripe with Leinster no matter what and one has a long standing issue with Cullen that seems to stem from outside of Leinster rugby. Not sure how one person out numbers two but there you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Miriam Gonzalez Durantez

Well you were saying it was one person initially. And by implication saying the majority don’t have this opinion.

Advertisement