Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

But we would have learned nothing about Carty and Sexton goes into the next game without a match in five weeks.

Carbery earned the start, made sense to have Sexton on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Kudos to Lowry there. Ruthless stuff from him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What happens if Ireland put 12 in the lineout?

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

PASS IT.

We are so brainless, they cannot possibly have the wide men covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I thought he was dreadful. A lot of articles have been written about how Ireland has made a concerted effort and a lot of progress to move away from Sexton as it's most important playmaker. But I just don't see it that way.

We were utterly dreadful in the 50 minutes Carbery was on the pitch. Attacking structure was non-existant as noted by Quinlan on commentary. Carbery just made the wrong decisions at the wrong time.

He wasn't the only player to do so, but as the 10, how the side attacks is up to you, and we were terrible today when he was on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That was a scandalous sliding tackle from the Italian player when Lowe was scoring his try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Italy don't have to match numbers, they can defend with seven or eight or six or two or whatever

We've a major issue with ball carriers drifting and killing space

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Carbery has a long way to go to be anyway near the level of Sexton. I know there is no pressure, but it's just been different class since Sexton came on.

This was an utterly dreadful game. No winners from this and only players who did their chances of future appearances damage.

Carbery was so poor to the point where I'd look at seeing who else can come in as replacement for the England game. Hume did nothing in 30 minutes.

• Advertisement

Players understand the concept of commit your man, right? POM inside the wing there, just shovels it on. Criminal, even if we scored a few phases later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Doris? Doris was responsible for about three turnovers! He needs to really tidy up his game. Very physical but giving away possession far too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A fair bit of indecision, but a very new and young team so no point being over critical.

I said myself earlier, on the Red card mess that +50 was a respectable target and they achieved that.

Whole new ball game in Twickers with the First XV in a fortnight.

The red card ruined the game really. We would have won regardless, but once Italy went down to 13 it's like we felt we need to make the killer play every phase. We looked far too rushed out there and it led to a lot of knock ons.

I think our attacking shape was a bit off today. At times we played similarly to how we did in last years Six Nations. Our phase play was very side to side without making the same sort of metres out wide. Our players weren't keeping their depth in attack at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Meh, pity about the red, it’s hard to keep your shape and do the right thing when the game is over with an hour to go. Lowry looked decent enough and I enjoyed Bairds try, apart from that I wouldn’t have much to say either way about any of the players.

I thought we were so poor all round that Doris was next best after VDF.

Matt Williams can **** off. Horgan injecting some sense.

Josh has caught a dose of Dan Leavy eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I thought so too. More straight lines needed. The Italian defence was able to drift too easily and we weren't pressing home the numerical advantage.

It should have been so much easier. Carry the ball, commit the defender, recycle...rinse & repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hopefully we stick a pin in the Carberry as the next starting outhalf plan after that game. He's a great player, but only an average 10 and the difference was very, very, very clear when Sexton came on. It won't happen, but I'd love to see Carty be the backup for the next week - he's a much more natural outhalf than Carbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭mun1

Worts thing today is having to listen to Matt Williams drivel and Horgan lapping it up.

VDF was brilliant yet again .

Sheehan was top class in all aspects of play .

Doris isn’t doing enough with or without the ball to justify his place. Can Baird play back row ?

Lowe did what was needed and did it well.

Lowry was very good in attack , no idea of his defence form today

Casey was his usual lively self when he came on.

furlong looked disinterested after 20 mins , Bealham needed more game time.

POM looked puzzled when Italy went down to 13.

sexton was a step above carbery , but he’s a step above any other 10 in Ireland at the moment.

Ringrose and henshaw forgot they were playing against 13 . Run straight lines please.

Hansen was poor and i have to say I don’t see what he’s adding to the team over larmour, Conway etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Carberry is never going to be near the level of Sexton. Nor will any 10 that comes in. We need to stop judging any potential replacements on that benchmark.

Carberry was poor today. They got up in our faces and it seemed to rattle him. He just didn’t seem capable of organizing players around him to impose our attacking structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭ersatz

Night and day. The scoreline flatters Ireland's performance but until Sexton came on they were very poor considering the the red and the amount of space Italy were giving up. Some poor decision making across the board, even Furlong fluffed his passing lines.

A word for Casey who had a nice cameo. Sped the game up and gave some nice service.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Dorris made 8 tackles missed none. Also made 96 meters(only Lowe better). Had a turnover and also dominated a tackle resulting in a turnover. Considering he played 52 minutes I'd say he was OK...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Should be in the squad ahead of Murray.

Conor a great servant and player but he's not near his top level over the past year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't think Sexton is that in need of minutes at this stage. Carty coming on would have allowed for a pretty optimal comparison against Carbery, who in no way has earned a start imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I don't think Casey should be the backup 9. He's lively but often makes the wrong decision. Even in today's cameo he had 2 snipes that were not the right option at that time.

I'd say that's very harsh. A lot of praise for Sexton who played well when he came on but he wasn't doing that with poor service. JGP had a number of moments today where he was slow or took the wrong option. Casey really sped things up when he came on and I'm not going to criticise him for sniping, too few of our scrum halves look to do it. It keeps the defence honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

JGP sniped and created line breaks several times during the game. I don’t think there was anything wrong with Casey’s decisions to snipe though, it’s not always about finding the gap. It’s about making the defence hesitate.

Advertisement