Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I find those plastic adapters fine for installing a BB but useless for removing as they strip as mentioned above. Best to get a metal/steel tool.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the Ultegra 6800/105 5800 BB is slightly larger than the Dura Ace 9000 so the tools required are slightly different. I'm not sure about the sizing of other iterations of either groupset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

Got a question about SKS Raceblade Pros. I'm putting on a pair and just wondering about the front guard. On my bike, the hydraulic hose running to the front brake is pinned down the back side of the fork - is it safe to put the rubber strap fixing for the guard over the hose ? ie have the hose between the fork and the rubber clamp of the mudguard.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

I’ve a steel framed bike that needs the seat tube reamed to diameter as I cannot get a seatpost adjusted without damaging the seatpost with scratches and zig zags.

Any recommended shop or person in Dublin who has a reamer and experience of doing this?

I suppose I should just go ask the local shop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I had a similar issue and just stuck some sandpaper around a broom handle with some superglue and that sorted it with a bit of elbow grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm on mobile, and I can't seem to generate a link from the Amazon app, but if you Google Adjustable Hand Reamer there's loads of inexpensive options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

Both reasonable suggestions. Looking for a good job done by someone with good tools and experience rather than the best half arsed job I can do myself.

(…..immediately searches for cheap tools to think about doing it myself)

Post edited by WOT on

If you've ever tapped a hole, you can ream a seat tube

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know if I'm ok running a 30mm or 32mm tire (road tubeless) on a 17mm inner width rim?

Sheldon Brown says yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks - I wondered was that a bit outdated. For example the Zipp 303s that are replacing these are 23mm inner and are optimised for 28mm tires according to Zipp, but way too small according to this table. I guess the only way is going to be to try it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Perfectly fine. Hydraulic hose is armoured internally to withstand the hydraulic pressure of using the brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

If you're getting zig-zags, there's a high point/burr somewhere scratching your seatpost...usually this is found right at the edge where the seatpost enters the lug/seat tube.

Using a round file, gently clean up the entry edge and see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I'm doing a small bit of restoration on a 90s frame and groupset, the front deraileur seems to be holding the chain on the big ring instead of hte small and then shifting bigger would bring it off the end.

It looks to be seated correctly, its Braze on so not a twisted clamp. other than setting max and min limits what else should I be looking at?

Possibly too much tension on the cable?

I thought that might be possible. There’s very little cable length left so will get a new one and see if that helps. Thanks. In the mean time I might just open the cable and see if it will go down with no cable on it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Take the cable off, where does the derailleur sit

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Yep sure enough that did it. I’d say the cable snapped and someone just pulled it tighter. Will get a new one and set it up again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The cable snapping would release the tension completely

Edit: I think I get you now. It’s too short to put the right tension on it now.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I meant that it had snapped and been fixed but without enough length they had to over tighten it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If anyone recalls my rounded bottle cage bolts that were also seized in the frame from last summer?

I carefully cut off the bolt head, then not as carefully prised the edge of the riv nut with a pick (and cut my finger a wee bit) and knocked then into the frame.

Off now to get new rivnuts put in.

Only issue is the old rivnut have seemingly disappeared into the frame and didn't pop out when I removed the seatpost

Take out the seat post and turn the bike upside down, see can you shake them free. I just re read your post. Please ignore this

I've a rivnut gun and rivnuts, but as ever, I think I'm too far from you, Weepsie

I think the reason the cable was set too tight as it was us the shifter may be knackered. It doesn’t seem to be . I may try a . They are old ultegra 6400 so hopefully salvageable

Bit of gt85 left to soak over high and wipe up it is shifting again so all set now thanks for the help. Just need to set the limits correctly and index and we should be back on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Hi folks,

Just wondering how I go about sorting this.

I have Shimano 11-Speed Cassette and freehub wheelset that I want to transfer onto a bike with a Sram 12-speed cassette and freehub. Both disc if that matters.

Anybody know how I go about doing this?

So do you want to swap the SRAM for the Shimano? My understanding is there is very little interbrand compatibility.

You'd have to swap derailleurs and shifters too.

I'm open to correction on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

So this lad here seemed to do it with an almost to good to be true install.

https://youtu.be/CaK1FbKOw3o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,649 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That seems to be specific to the hubs that those Scope wheels are using to be honest, like they have interchangeable freewheel interfaces.

edit: yeah it looks like they’re using Prime hubs which have an adapter like so where you can just swap out the free hub without having to rebuild the wheel

Advertisement