Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You're welcome to keep showing off how much you've read on all this stuff. There is a large arsenal of weaponry pointed at Russia. The country would be toast before any of them got off the ground and even if they did what could any of us do if one was coming our way?

I think it's a bluff and an anticipated one , mostly out of frustration at how much he's miscalculated almost everything. A united world, not just a united West must be eating at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They are Russian and Russian things are currently banned. On quality alone RT should be banned. You can still get it online if Anonymous haven't knocked it out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

At the moment, the Russian state should be considered an enemy of the west and should not have an easy mouthpiece to spread disinformation and sow discord. They have enough bots doing that online as it is, anyway.

But the Russian state is welcome to try and rehabilitate itself through talks and concessions. However, as long as their current administration stands, I wouldn't trust them any farther than what they can be made to do, and with RT being Russian state backed, I wouldn't trust them much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

There is one on channel 4 with the same footage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I also think people overestimate the thought which goes into nuclear war targets. from Russia's point of view, The West are all allies, we're part of that.

In a situation where nuclear powers start wiping each other out (and the rest of us with them) - they don't sit down with a list of hundreds of cities doing up the pros and cons of which to destroy. They launch their 6000 weapons at all major Western cities with a larger proportion of them going to bigger targets.

For all they know, Ireland has a secret pact with the UK to fly all of their government over here at the first sign of a launch for security. Sure what's 1 or 2 bombs directed at Dublin in 6000 to ensure they don't miss their target?

TLDR, we all die.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I doubt it, Dublin has all the datacentres and Shannon has the airport that the US uses.

Cork wouldn't get a nuke as it would just improve the city and they'd have to nuke both East Belfast & the Falls Road otherwise the Unionist and Nationalist would complain about preferential treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The nuber of groups of saboteurs the Ukrainians are uncovering is both astonishing and frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Denmark and Sweden joining the give Ukraine a fcuk tonne of weapons club.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Once they are not armed, you can move them around no bother....once they are armed, then it depends on what weight vehicle will set them off. Big waste of a Anti-Tank mine, if it can be triggered by a person, or a small car. Now the ones that are dropped and spread by parachute, from a mother bomb......they are seriously dangerous ( I know, I know , there's no such thing as a "Safe" mine) but they should have been banned from day one.. they are completely unpredictable in terms of what will set them off. They are supposed to explode on contact, but many do not ( designed that way. China, Russia production mainly) but after lying all day in the sunlight, the shadow of some one passing by is enough to trigger them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Whatever about Dublin Shannon Airport would surely be targeted in the event of all out war... still unlikely at this stage. In a way the threat of nuclear armageddon is actually preventing what may have already developed into a world war in the olden times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I think we an witnessing the beginning of the end for Vladimir Putin. Changes in leadership in Russia tend to be quite brutal and looks like this one will be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No expert here but nuclear weapons are typically targeted at military and important civilian infrastructure like power plants and stuff. It's said that the reality is cities themselves are not really targets. I think it's a bit of a myth that's developed that big cities in and of themselves are targets. Their only targets in the sense that there is some really important strategic military or civilian infrastructure to strike and the city inevitably partially gets in the way.

In the UK i'd be more worried if I were in Glasgow than London for example.

That would be my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If people would like to help Ukranians in Poland Rascals in Inchicore are accepting boxes of care products to go over on a truck. A real way to help I am dropping a few boxes tomorrow.

Spain is sending military and humanitarian aid through airports in Poland. The transport of 2 A400M planes contains helmets, bulletproof vests, mine detectors and 20 ton of medications and protection gear for nuclear & chemical dangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Russian fighting-age men have not been allowed to enter Ukraine since 2018 I think. Many may have slipped the net - but it goes to show that saboteurs were likely put in place over many years. Russian has no shortage of men with little prospects who can be paid to infiltrate Ukraine, blend in among the local Russian-speaking populace and carry out reconnaissance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Cork wouldn't get a nuke as it would just improve the city

Yeah but they might want to get back at Skibereen for their local paper saying it had its eye on Russia

Yeah probably be more like this at Russian nuclear HQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Putin is absolutely terrified of getting Covid, it’s been reported on several times, which indicates an underlying condition which a lot of people suspect. He is almost 70 and by the looks is thinking about his legacy, I don’t think history will be kind to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The oul swedes do be liken spreading the love, shur haven't they been doin it down in Yemen this last while, what with them bein neutral an all..follow the money innit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,825 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

100% - the threat of nuclear war has kept Europe peaceful for a very long time, everyone knows it's a lose lose game. Hence how it will never happen.

Even if Putin truly has gone mad and decides to launch, there are so many people in the chain between him and any weapons flying that it's impossible.

Look at historical cases from the cold war where we came close to the brink - the 1979 Norad Computer Glitch, the 1983 Soviet Nuclear False Alarm - both these instances, the person in command was told by their computers that the other side had actually launched, and yet they still did not fire back.

If people are hesitant to launch back at a nuclear attack which is already on the way to them for fear of getting it wrong, you are not going to have a situation where folks launch an attack first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

This was a funny and slightly mental thread to come across in the middle of all this, some real aged like double cream moments in there!

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057383413/the-vladimir-putin-appreciation-thread/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

apparently kyiv is surrounded by russian army all exits/ways blocked according to ukranians ... not looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

If you don't mind me asking jmreire, what the hell was your profession? I'm sure plenty of others on here would like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Even if Putin truly has gone mad and decides to launch, there are so many people in the chain between him and any weapons flying that it's impossible.

Yeah but aren't they all theoretically his underlings, making blocking his order treason/mutiny/whatever?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would agree and hope in about equal measure. The international pressure on the gnome in Moscow, or his bunker in the Urals, is rapidly ramping up, even since this morning and NATO are in this war in everything save for actual boots on the ground. It's a very dangerous time IMHO. Very dangerous.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

We will support the Ukrainian army with equipment and money, said the Prime Minister of Sweden Magdalena Andersson on Sunday evening. The government in Stockholm will provide Ukraine with, inter alia, anti-tank grenade launchers. The last time Sweden handed over weapons was in 1939 to Finland when the country was attacked by the Soviet Union. The Swedish government is ready to send 5,000 to Ukraine. hand-held anti-tank grenade launchers (Pansarskott 86), 5 thousand. helmets, 5 thousand. bulletproof vests and 135 thousand. rations intended for use in the field. Andersson also announced that the value of Swedish humanitarian aid to Ukraine will increase to the amount of CZK 500 million (approx. EUR 47 million).

translated by google, but looks OK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It doesn't help that the only two nuclear weapons ever used in anger were dropped on cities. But those cities were chosen as they could be shown to have some military value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hopefully, it wont come to a nuclear war....but that assumption is based on rational people making the decisions. Now, that could be a big ask where Putin is concerned, and the signs at present are not over-encouraging, based on his recent decision making.

• Advertisement

General Valery Załużny, the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, announced that 100,000 people were mobilized within two days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement