Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Whatever you are smoking is not doing you any good. "Strong intel" 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭zv2

Is it definitely not a nuke? Anyone know? The have low power nukes.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Okay will bother with a response giving more detail of my thoughts on it, despite speed of flow of thread probably means it is somewhat irrelevant now.

A few logical statements based around the ideas in your posts which should illustrate problems with your emotional argument.

Revoking Western visas != "ethnic cleansing" of Russians (was per another poster, not you in fairness and what started these discussions)

Revoking a Western visa != "destroying" a life in every case per your own hyperbole (at least not "ethnic cleansing" levels of hyperbole).

There would obviously need to be discretion & consideration about step of actively removing people, e.g. do you expel someone who has lived here quite a long time (long enough for a citizenship perhaps?), has embedded entire work & their life here? Do you expel someone who is known to be "wanted" by the govt./would on their lists for some reason? I would say no, that would indeed be ruining a life. The far easier choice perhaps is to first stop the granting such visas to Russians any more until there is a policy change (retreat from Ukraine) or better until the current regime under Putin is gone from power for good.

Revoking a visa != imprisonment or internment.

IRA != Irish govt. or Irish people. Now maybe if the Irish state had been backing up the IRA, the UK govt. might have been justified taking a collective action against Irish citizens.

Please do remember, this is the Russian govt. here, launching this war in the Russian people's name. Though Russia is not a democracy like Ireland, Putin has been quite popular in the past. I believe this has been waning in more recent years (hence his need to repress any opposition alot more, use propaganda & to fix "elections" more blatently). I don't know how much support this action has in Russia, probably few posting here do and we'll have to wait and see how it all turns out.

It's funny, some of the harsh and getting harsher sanctions being dished out now are definitely a collective economic punishment of Russia and all its citzens for the Putin/Regime/govt. actions. They are actually going to disrupt lives, cause suffering and cost the Russians alot of money, perhaps their jobs, livelyhood, and ability to holiday in/easily travel to the EU/US given the extensive airline and flight path bans today, as we'll see in coming days/weeks.

The weapons the West is supplying to Ukraine are likely killing Russian conscripts with no say who've been packed off to wage a nasty and stupid war by Putin. You should also be opposed to these actions, as they will definitely hurt ordinary Russians, just not those ones comfortably living in the West on a visa or intending to come here soon on a visa for study/business/pleasure.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

CNN will be playing that one on a loop all night!

Still havent seen to much off the socalled overhyped hypersonic missiles thats been in russian propaganda for the last 10 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Presumably this does not just mean planes but pilots and support and logistics teams for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I'm just simply so embarrassed by that. Sorry Ukraine. ☹️☹️

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Why can there not be a neutral Ukraine? Why choose positions? Siding with an unfriendly military alliance and this was going to cause a war. Need both sides to pull back from the brink here and NATO and US and West to have a meaningful debate with Russia. Russia and Ukraine can get along in peace just accept some dashes of realism that there is a large group of people in Ukraine who prefer to be ruled by Russia. It's a breakup of the country but a far better alternative than nuclear armageddon. 

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Sure, you were probably one of the posters a few weeks ago making the same comments to posters like @Yurt! and @Gatling when they said that Russia will invade the Ukraine. No, no. Bullshit. Just fake news from the Americans. Putin will never invade. I know your type. Denial is not just a river in Egypt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

C'mon! Is there really "strong intel" of this, and has it been shared with you? The whole situation is fckued up, but there's no need to lose the run of ourselves with exaggeration.

In such a miserably depressing thread, this comment was a much-needed beacon of humour. 😋

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I don't necessarily disagree with you. In fact, if the EU are actually sending combat planes to Ukraine then I don't think Russia are going to take the time to read Ireland's statement that we want to supply non lethal aid if they decide they want to push some big red buttons!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭zv2

Fuuk the treaties, burn the cnuts out of Ukraine.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Whoa,steady on. Its a strategic move. Ireland are overcoming the neutrality obstacle by contributing into the humanitarian aid instead of the military aid. By abstaining they are also allowing the military aid to pass through an EU vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There cant be a neutral Ukraine when Russia only respects military force in its recognition of the rights and boundaries of other nations.

A neutral Ukraine is just at Russias mercy.

Had the Baltic States stayed neutral after the cold war ended there is no doubt in my mind they would now have been reabsorbed into the Russian empire. That was the thrust of Putins speech and all former Russian or Soviet territory being still Russian in his mind.

Neutral Finland is now more likely to join NATO not less when you see Russias true colours.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ukraine should be able to make its own decisions...it is a democracy...at least for now....Russia has kind of forced them into a corner! The response seems pretty clear...

Your willing to give up part of Ukraine to Russia...it doesn't mean Ukraine is...

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Yes , it is a clever way of supporting the Ukrainian cause while remaining neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well they tried a neutral Ukraine and it led to 2 Russian invasions, so yeah, I think that's off the table now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Why? We are providing funding to the war effort.

Russian POWs say they were tricked and lied to by the Russian military.

They claim they were going to an excersise but ended up in the frontline in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Not really. As I recall I mentioned that ukrainians are useful idiots doing exactly what west and russians wants them to do. They did not fail and the last nail which pretty much signed invasion off was idiotic statement of looking into acquiring nuclear capability. That was pretty much invitation.

One would have to shudder to even think that the likes of right sector might get their hands on anything nuclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

The intel was correct until now. No reason to doubt it now. Of course, I hope sincerely that I am wrong. But the old Soviet Empire did not just consist of the Ukraine and Russia. Why would Putin stop with the Ukraine. What does he have to lose? Only time will tell.

It is not an exaggeration to say that this is the most precarious political conflict that anybody amongst us has witnessed in our lifetime. And I cannot see an easy resolution

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Last time I checked it wasn't a European superstate. Individual nations plough their own path, and should do. A functioning society, no matter how large functions better with wide opinions, even dissent, especially in tough times where cool heads need to prevail. Not Coveney et al looking for likes on twitter because they're caught up in the moment. DeValera's Ireland was a shítshow across the board, but was respected throughout the world(save for in England) as educators, rebuilders of third world nations and ex colonies and peacekeepers. I'd prefer that legacy over warrior any day. Because it's rare. Warriors are all too common.

You've watched too many damned WW2 flics. Ukraine has already won the hearts and minds(and social media) and decency war and that's something. It really is. But it looks increasingly likely they're going to lose the actual war, because Russian leaders tend to give zero fúcks for their own death count never mind the enemy's. I've actually been surprised that the Russians weren't targetting non combatants already. They had no such scruples in Chechnya(The Yanks aren't much better, so long as it's off camera), but Ukrainians are a little too close to home. Hopefully peace talks kick off soon and let some of the air out of this balloon before it bursts.

What I would propose is acting like the adult in the room full of screaming children amped up by the moment. Not adding to things by acting like them. If I were running Ireland, I'd be on the phone to all the parties I could to keep people talking. The longer they talk, and this includes the gnome in Moscow, the fewer people will die in the longterm and the less chance this goes into all out war where literally billions could die, because people stopped talking.

As for Russian rampage. They'll stop with Ukraine for the moment. And Putin is no spring chicken. A gilded Czar afraid to sit beside his own generals. He may 'win' today, but he won't win for long. He's a dead man walking. With little to lose. That is not the person you want near the controls of devices that could cause the extinction of the human race and this planet as it stands.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

This. Some people just love to have to opportunity to get outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Does anybody know what the carbon footprint of one Nuke is? If Russia launches one or more imagine how far back this would set the environment and increase cimate change.

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

we are part of the EU- we should be one voice at this stage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement