Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Tesla Model Y LR AWD (MIC) - Autobahn 130 km/h Winter range test (sort of...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

nice car .. starts from 70K .. are you having a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 vincentohanlon

Anyone hazard a guess on when we'll get the new 4680 batteries in Ireland? They've already started using them in the Texas built model Y's, and seems like a battery factory is being built in Berlin also. Although who knows if we'll ever get Berlin built model Y's here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Go drive one then.

make your mind up and buy what your happy with.

end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They sell like hotcakes. So Tesla and its shareholders are having the last laugh here.

Agree it is very expensive for what it is, they don't do the base model here (yet). Sales are high because Tesla are years ahead of everyone else, so it has very little competition. Would I buy one for €70k? Most certainly not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Using the highly scientific yardstick of ‘boardsie thread activity’, the Y won’t sell nearly the same volume as the 3, beyond the early deliveries to patient long-suffering deposit holders.

As we know, the original tesla m3 thread(s) was the stuff of legend in its activity, anticipation, ship watching and vin sniffing - and all that for what ended up as 1,600 deliveries in 27months and the 38th top selling model in Ireland in its debut/launch period.

the Y’s pricing and market competition means it won’t come close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why would someone buy one that isn’t shipped with 4680?

it was designed for them, some locations are getting them and tue 2023 model will have them. So resale won’t be good.

also the main selling is as a 7 seater but that’s not clear either.

finally Autopilot just keeps increasing

edit: another key point us that’s is basically a big M3 which already is 5 years old

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Model 3 is just a name, the car model may be 3 but the car is a very very different car to its original release 5 years ago, different battery chemistry, much larger battery size, heat pump as standard, dechrome, powered boot, corrected waterfall rear glass, MCU3, completely revised visual Vs radar camera setup, relocation of sentry mode storage to secure glovebox, laminated front glass, lithium “12v” battery, magnetic sun visor, revised HV to “12v DC/DC converter, longer range, acceleration improvements, centre console redesign, auto dimming rear view mirror, completely new motor, more aggressive regenerative braking, increased top speed, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, heated wipers, wireless phone chargers and those are just from the top of my head. The best piece though is the Shanghai build.

This is the Tesla way, a car is launched and it keeps that name with continual improvements through its life.

2022 Model 3 nowhere near 5 years old.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Correction: Autopilot has been standard equipment on all Teslas for several years now. It's free. Not an optional extra or not even available like on nearly all other EVs.

Full Self Driving is an option, the price of which has been increasing steeply over the last few years

You’re absolutely correct, and I think this is a big worry for people on the sidelines with money to spend on an EV, like we are currently - it’s a reason to keep what we have and watch it evolve for another year or two.

I personally wouldn’t buy a 2019/20 model 3 unless it was ‘suitably’ depreciated. The current 2nd hand market is hiding it’s deficiencies to the latest version.

another example of model iteration just in the past few days is the ioniq5 apparently getting a new battery versus the launch one.

anyhoo, the point is that here in Ireland there’ll be a core group of Y early deposit buyers, incl plenty M3 owners trading up, but the volumes will be small compared to the m3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

New Tesla Model Y collection day

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Saw that, they are much nicer than an M3.

and all saying the harsh ride comments are way overkill

Quite likely on the 19" it isn't even an issue at all. All the reviewers only tested the one Dutch press car on the 20", no one bothered to change the wheels to see how it would ride with smaller wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

It's the same car but built in China rather than Fremont. Roads are roads, so i don't see what location has to do with it. A journalist will have the car for a few hours to a full day at most. Hardly enough time to know what it's like to 'live with' the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He doesn't comment on ride in that video or barely does

I was not referring to that Video but on UK fora where the folk providing feedback from delivery days are saying the harsh ride comments from earlier YT reviews are overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Richard Symons drove it and made no reference to a harsh ride. Went as far as saying the ride was grand.

The team on 5th gear drove one and never mentioned a harsh ride on it.

Dave Humphries was scathing on Twitter about it

it’s a new model Tesla finally landing in Ireland; the early adopter owners here are going to be nothing but GLOWING about their new car, as any of us would.

every car has a compromise that we’re willing to accept or indeed ignore.

I like watching car journo’s review cars and indeed I trust many of their opinions as they have a wealth of comparison-knowledge, but equally I accept that these guys dont buy any of those cars, and many rarely own a car at all.

It doesn’t make them any less objective, simply because they can’t buy every car either, but if I’m spending €70k on a Y, I’m going to be telling you it’s the best car I’ve ever owned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

He will have been driving the same Dutch car as referenced elsewhere.

Theres a definite trend emerging where people whove driven RHD Model Ys are not giving out about the ride.

What car have been group testing a UK reg Model Y as I saw they posted a photo.

Haven't seen that test yet though

Humphreys was a little too stubborn in his refusal to accept any defence of the suspension , sort of made me wonder if he just dislikes the brand ?

not like he got a drive in one with 19 inch tyres , could make all the difference at the end of the day

The video a few pages back with Thomas from autogefühl was probably a reasonably balanced, thorough review, as they tend to be - the conclusion was that he absolutely loved the Y, but also he was laughing in the video when driving the broken road he uses to compare suspension and ride - it looked like he would lose a tooth :)

he even went as far as to suggest that Tesla should ‘throw out’ the suspension and dampers and get a local German supplier for their Berlin factory

Anyone want to take a guess when we can expect a standard range RWD RHD car delivered in Ireland coming from Berlin? And with what battery structural 4860? What chemistry, LiFePo4? Or some sort of non-cobalt lithium ion chemistry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

I just watched this now -he got 249km using 90% of the battery driving at 130/ 125kmph in 7 degrees

Would this be typical with what you'd expect the car to average say driving Dublin Limerick at similar speeds or was their anything out of the ordinary. I would have expected it would have a bit higher range

Yes. Motorway speed limit (or a bit above) driving drastically reduces range for all EVs. The Tesla is better than most because of class leading aerodynamics. Winter temps are also bad for all EVs. So the 275km range he got would be fairly typical for the circumstances. Do 120km/h GPS instead of 130km/h and that range should comfortably go well over 300km though.

Model Y’s delivered into Dublin today.

pic credit “Paul Kelly” on Fb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Suitably bemused port worker there. Probably wondering why on earth people would come to take photos of cars being unloaded. Or boxes of bananas.

• Advertisement

More so for the global community I think.

people like to see delivery date ms against order dates and then arrival dates against collection dates so the timeframes can be worked out.

I used to spend my days in the port taking photos of the cruise ships coming in for DCC so each to their own I guess 😁

Advertisement