Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Wasn't it the semi final he got injured in for Garrymore? I imagine that held him back a bit? I'm speculating of course but you'd imagine it played a part

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Anyone else think the continued starting on the bench of AOS is odd? I would have expected him to have a start by now to get minutes in the legs, though he did get on pretty early v Monaghan.

A sign he may not be in starting plans this year / carrying a knock perhaps / something else altogether?

I don't think its odd at all and I think its working out quite well so far! I think he was brought on at the right time against Dublin and had a decent impact. It looks like he isn't going to be a starter this year, but that could be just for the league in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think the days of Aidan being a starter are gone tbh. There is still a place for him as an impact sub for sure, his physicality when brought on later on in a game is a big asset imo. But he doesn't have it in the tank for a full 70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I'd agree with that. I think the first few games have been a case of trying things out in midfield, but needing to bring him on to shore things up. That certainly seemed to be the case for Donegal and Monaghan. Against the Dubs it was a case of Mattie's first game back and looking to protect the lead. He played a much more defensive role there but was very good in keeping the ball moving forward and his physicality at that point of the game was a big asset as you say.

Despite what his many detractors will say, he's a great tackler, he's very very hard to dispossess and his passing, particularly long range foot passing is exceptional. Being able to send the ball up the field accurately at that point of the game is a massive boon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I can see him starting games where the opposition have a big midfield, his best position is as a defensive midfielder IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

He done well against dublin when he came on. Teams are running at him because of his size but as the game opens up he can offer something. Guys mightnt be as quick to try it when he is fresh and they have 50 minutes of running done because they know if he gets close he will take the ball off them.

What i liked in the dublin game was his collision with fitzsimons. He was often guilty of trying to play football around fellas and they would get in around him. He was playing into their hands and not playing to his own advantages. This time he seen fitzsimons coming and met him full tilt. A few collisions like that will keep defenders honest and make them think twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I do like the way Horan has mixed it up a lot already during this league, and the good early results allow him to continue that for a little longer before having a close to championship 15 ready near the end of the league.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Yeah he's done well integrating a lot of new lads into the team. We've been very fortunate with the quality that's been available to join the squad in the past couple of years. I'd like to think there would be a role for Horan to continue with unearthing talent if and when his role as manager comes to an end.

I'm beginning to think the notion of a Championship 15 isn't featuring, rather he's likely to select players depending on the opposition and it will be a first 20 rather than 15, particularly when we have a bit more strength in depth, more so than other years. That's as long as we can steer clear of further injuries which have truly been the curse for us for years now.

• Advertisement

2017 seemed to be the peak of our strength and conditioning programme. Not sure what happened, but it hasn't been the same since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I'm heading to the game tomorrow, but have actually never been to Hyde Park.

Any tips for the parking situation around the ground?

Do you think so? I thought the lads looked in fantastic shape last year. Especially the semi final!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Nothing wrong with our strength and conditioning from what I can see. Just look at the 2nd half vs Galway last year and extra time vs Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Match not on tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

What's the point of Gaa Go so ffs.

Little one sick so can't travel. Haven't traveled yet this season, was hoping to make my supporter debut today.

Hennelly has tweaked hamstring

No harm for Byrne to get a game I suppose but it’s disruptive this late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Early goal for Armagh :-(

If only there was some way we could have prepared for this eventuality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

If Hennelly was not played in goal for the first 3 league games, we wouldn't have 5 points. I'll take the 5 points sooner than facilitating game time for a sub keeper. How many times do you see counties playing back-up keepers. Tyrone almost always have Morgan in goal. Monaghan with Beggan, Dublin had Cluxton, and now with Comerford in goal we don't see any trial of back-up keeper. It is unfortunate if the keeper picks up an injury. But if you put this constant focus on blooding another keeper, then it takes away from the actual task of getting points on the board.

Cluxton only played championship for the last few years with Dublin.

In fairness the first games of the league are too important to be trying too much out but we're pretty much safe now if division one so it's a good time for bryne to get a shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Kickouts seem to be a big issue, not a strength of Byrne. This really shouldn't be a surprise though. It's probably the most important aspect of a keeper these days.

Madwest seem to think the ref is being very harsh on us.

I’d prefer to have a capable back up keeper that’s played a few games for Mayo in case he’s called upon in championship.

What’s to say we wouldn’t have gotten the points with a different keeper? What you’re saying is equivalent to saying we shouldn’t be trying out Orme, McHugh, Carney etc. Its ridiculous. By your rationale we should be playing championship 15 every week in the league.

Paddy Durcan!!! Love MWR

If today was an all Ireland semi final or final instead of a league match how much would the five league points be worth to us throwing in a keeper with one start for Mayo?

Better that it happened today and he will have gained huge confidence after the first minute !

Caught two great high balls

Hopefuly Robbie is back for Kerry all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Lucky enough to get the win going by the radio. Could have been dodgy with Kerry up next if Armagh had closed it out when three up.

Excellent analysis from Boyler on Mid West.

What happened with Brickenden and Irwin? Hear they got the curly finger early on.

Probably struggled and after the early goal it was probably an easy call... especially when the two you're bringing on for them is Paddy Durcan and Kevin McL.

• Advertisement

We'll take that. Thank god we won having given away that early goal, otherwise people would be calling for both Byrne and Hennelly to be omitted before every single game in the future in favour of the 3rd and 4th choice keepers. Wonder who's going to take the long range free kicks and 45's now.

I don’t think one person on here has been looking for Hennelly to be omitted, a trusty back up keeper is what’s being looked for. We had Clarke and Hennelly for a long time it should be such a hard concept for lads to grasp

But with Clarke and Hennelly it was not a case of having a "trusty backup keeper".

It was a case of having two keepers capable of starting for most if not all inter county teams.

That's different.

If Byrne is good enough to challenge Hennelly for that starting place then great, but if he is not then don't be putting him in for the sake of game time.

Management will have a fair enough idea of his abilities and prospects anyway and if he is not going toe to toe with Hennelly for game time then he's either not good enough or not good enough yet.

You’ve a short memory so.

That sort of sound logic is too hard for some lads to grasp, Father,

Do we take it that we'll have to make do with 10-15 second highlights, shot from someone's smartphone, tonight given that GAA Go weren't in Roscommon or is there a chance we'll get decent highlights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The only way to find out if Byrne is good enough is to give him gametime!! It sounds like he had a mixed day today but hopefully he'll have learned from that and it'll stand to him if we need to call on him on a big occasion.

Great to get the win today after a poor start. Looking in good shape to make the league final now

But management probably don't need to give him game time to find out if he's good enough.

It's their job to have that figured out or at least have a very good idea without having to give him any game time.

I showed enough to the Breaffy u10 coaches in training in the early 80s to make them know that I did not need game time to prove to them I was s**the.

• Advertisement

So if they think he's not good enough, what's he doing on the panel?

Because you need a backup keeper.

And even though he is currently not as good as Hennelly he is better than what else is available.

As I said the management probably have a fair idea of his worth right now and giving him game time right now is not part of their plan to increase that worth.

So he's not good enough and we're not going to give him any gametime to assess how he'd fare in a pressurised situation. Jesus, I hope Horan & Co have a better grasp of how to manage a team than that 😂😂😂

I hope Hennelly isn't afraid of competition for the jersey like some people appear to be on his behalf.

I find the defensiveness on this subject fairly odd tbh but I'll leave it at that for now

Its like lads think that theres no difference between training and playing actual matches

But why are people so obsessed with Hennelly having competition for the jersey, why are these constant calls for his backup to be played instead of him ?

It's pretty simple really I think.

People still don't have faith in Hennelly, regardless of how far in the rear view mirror he puts the 2016 replay.

You don’t know why people would want a good back up keeper?

Genuinely?

What did you think of Kelleher playing for Liverpool today?

• Advertisement

I was in your corner earlier but the more I think about it, maybe we're over emphasising the need to have a substitute keeper ready for action.

Is it really a requirement or just a great bonus to have.

Maybe we've been "spoiled" by having Hennelly and Clarke there for so long. Most other counties don't prime their sub keeper during the league do they? Dublin did late on in Cluxton's career, but it's rare afaik. It's a relatively short season (very short vs what Liverpool play, as you've mentioned it) and keepers are generally ok on the injury front.

I'm trying to convince myself here, more so than yourself.

Maybe the best plan is to have no plan.

Edit: hadn't read Fr Tod's post, maybe 2016 is a factor in people's minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Did we learn anything about Byrne today that wasn't already known? I don't get the obsession with giving him game time for the sake of it. Pretty obvious that hennelly is first choice for the year.

It's far more beneficial to us for hennelly to keep his run of good form going by playing regularly. Also for the inexperienced outfield players on show to get used of Rob's kickouts.

Seems like Diarmuid was good again today, the turnover of a goal chance from McDonagh followed by a DOC point was a huge moment

If it was just 2016, I think that would be long forgotten!

Either way, it's apparent Hennelly is the best option we have and he is having a fantastic year so far so good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Good win in the end for Mayo yesterday. Looks like we have some good depth avilable from the bench too with AOS making another game changing impact. I would be concerned with the half forward options though. Standard is not very high other than DOC..Its early days yet I suppose. Impressed with Orme

• Advertisement
Advertisement