Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running around robbing banks.......

Options
  • 04-01-2022 9:35pm

Hello all and Happy New Year to you! I hope its a good one.

I decided to start logging my runs for the year of 2022 to see if it will

motivate me and help me improve. I'm feeling optimistic and looking forward to February coming in

with the Spring starting so hopefully it will be an upbeat year with some bright days and nice sunshine!

I'm a fairly regular type of jogger who just gets out for the mental health aspect of

running and to keep myself in shape.

I have an entry to DCM this year and I would like to build up to this with a 10k around June to see where I stand.

I have run the marathon before and if I'm not on course to improve on my 4.20 time then I won't bother with it and will

sell the entry back to DCM.

So to start:

Monday - 4 mile progression run on the treadmill starting at 10km/h to 11.6km/h plus some free weights in the gym.

Tuesday - Got out for 5 laps of my estate while working from home. This is a very fairly flat route 9.22/mile.

I usually juggle between miles and km's.

When I'm on the treadmill its km's and while I'm outside I use the phone so its miles.

I'm not following any kind of plan at the moment, but I do try to do 6 to 8 miles long run

and something a bit quicker during the week usually on the treadmill.

So its either a 25 minute tempo or 10 x 400m.

I will need to do some sort of TT soon to see where I am but at the moment I am defo not

in shape to better a 4.20 marathon. Lets see what happens.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Looking forward to reading your log - I’m in the same boat - I want to improve on my marathon time have a DCM entry and will make a call in June depending on fitness levels . I have no desire what’s so ever to do those very long runs without a chance at a pb !

Logging can work very well for motivation - I found it kept me focussed and accountable . Also there is amazing advice to be had around these parts !

• Thanks Bluesquare, I know exactly what you mean, the thoughts of doing a long run when its going pear shaped is just absolutely soul destroying.

Hopefully we will have a good year.

I can do with all the mojo I can conjure up from everywhere so feel free to inspire me :)

What kind of shape are you in, do you think you're on course?

I really want to sub 4! I think for me to do this I have to be able to do a sub 50 tenk around June time . Have put on a stone since my last attempt so carrying around the extra pounds is hurting .

I ran a 25 min 5k before Xmas and a 52 min tenk in November . Then only got out a few times over Xmas so not sure where my fitness is now .

I have signed up for a March Half for a bit of motivation . It will build mileage anyway .

Must start logging myself again at some stage - as it definite helps . A lot of my improvement during last marathon was due to advice from the boards around keeping easy runs easy and this allowed me to increase mileage nicely .

I hate marathons so really would like to just get the sub 4 monkey off my back and move on!

• Yeah, I have put on a few kilos myself since the summer so I know what you mean.

That sounds very promising with the 25 mins 5k and 52 min 10k, you're well on course for the sub 4.

Defo start logging again, I'd like to follow your progress and see how your half goes.

I have a chronic injury that I manage since my last marathon so no desire to keep running those log runs for nothing.

If I'm not progressing by June then I'll give it up and stick to the routine short runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great to see new logs starting up.

Welcome to our little community - if you stick around, some of these people will become your best friends in a couple of years!

Get stuck in and read other logs - interact with others of all abilities and soak up the learning - but always run to your own abilities.

• Advertisement

• Thanks AMK haha,

Yeah, you're totally right, its very easy to start trying to keep up with faster runners and end injured.

Wednesday; Just did a 5 mile cycle to the local cafe to get out at lunchtime and eat some junk.

Thursday; 5 miles on the treadmill including 5 x 1km @ 11km/h with last one progressing to 13km/h

That felt very easy but boring but would feel a lot harder on the road. if I do that next week I'll tweak it so its a bit harder.

Maybe 11.2 for first 600m of each km and then 11.5 for last 400m of each km. There's 2 mins jog between each one anyway.

Friday;4.5 miles easy run, felt like I need to have a good stretch so might go to the gym later.

• Sunday: Drove down to Howth and did a 6 mile run from Offington Park up to just a bit past the Summit Pub and back down.

It feels like a constant hill up to the Summit until you run back down and encounter a few up hills as well but mainly

down hill on the way back.

Today was really supposed to be a longer run of about 8 miles but my quads were a bit battered after the downhill so I'll try and get in an 8 miler during the week on local roads.

Lovely weather for running today, called in for a homemade Pizza on the main street coming home but shop was closing.

That was one of the main reasons I drove all the way out there.

Ended up driving to Ballsbridge to get one but well worth the wait.

24.5 miles for the week.

• Monday: 5 miles including 5 x 1km

Did this on the treadmill again but this time increased the pace a little

First 600m of each km @ 11.2 and last 400m @ 11.5 with last rep progressing to 13km/h

That felt more like an effort and I'll stick with that for the next week or two before increasing it a little.

Did some free weights and some assisted repeats on the Power Tower. Love that machine but I'd say a lot

of people don't use it because you're up on a height and everyone can see you and you look like a Pillock.

Tuesday: 5 mile cycle to my favourite cafe to get out at lunchtime and eat more shite.

Wednesday: 5 laps around my estate at lunchtime @ 9.36 pace.

• Thursday: 5 mile cycle at lunchtime

Saturday: I went down to Howth again and added two miles onto the run at the start but poor fueling

and tiredness from work meant I aborted the run after the two miles and drove off to a friends for lunch instead.

Sunday: Picked a good hilly route and had a good enough feed before going out. 7.5 miles @ 10.08 p/m

19.5 miles for the week. Not a great mileage week.

I seem to have a slight feeling of inflammation on the bone on the outside of the ankle and it feels tender along the tendon that runs into it.

Its been there for a few weeks now but its not causing any pain while running. I'm not sure what it is. I can feel it most when I flex my foot upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Plenty of variety there. One thing that I noticed - you say you’re not in 4:20 marathon shape but a good few of your easy runs look faster than MP (which would translate to 9:55 or so). Some od those treadmill sessions possibly too aggressive too. How are you determining your training paces?

That niggle sounds a bit similar to something that happened to me a few years ago, I’d keep an eye on it and have a physio opinion if it doesn’t change.

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Advertisement

• Yeah I'm basing everything purely on how I feel.

I probably just need to do a TT to figure out where I'm at.

I ran the treadmill session last week slower and felt like I wasn't giving enough effort so increased it this week

and it felt tough but manageable.

I'm not one of those runners who can do all their runs at slow paces and then pick up in a race.

I tried that technique for the last marathon I did and I ended up doing the marathon the same pace as

my training runs. I think that's generally what happens to me with the marathon.

I'm hoping to better 4.20 so if I end up faster then I'd be very happy with that.

I'm just a bit confused about how I'll tackle it all and what I'm aiming for.

I'm hoping its not the onset of something long term like Tendonitis.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Monday: 3.5 miles recover around the area at a nice slow pace 10.20p/m

Tuesday: In the gym for this session

5 miles including 5 x 1km, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 11.4 and finally a progression in pace from 11.1 to 12k/h for final km.

Some free weights and some machine weights and stretching

Wednesday: 4.5 miles slow recovery run again but hilly enough. 10.27m/h

All runs by feel.

Maybe before you decide on your target you could work on building your mileage and doing some races to get a feel on where your fitness is at .

What’s your running history - as in what type of mileage would you normally run and what type of goals are you chasing outside of the marathon . ? Have you followed and particular plans in the past etc . I’m just asking as it’s easier then to comment or advise ( not that I’m really in position to advise anyone lol) if that info is known .

You seem like you maybe a similar runner to me but hard to know - and i don’t want to make any assumptions and offer unsuitable advice !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

One request and one request only......could you please put in paces rather than speed. I'm doing the mental maths but to my mind some of the training paces are bonkers for a 4:20 marathon target.

Edit: Bonkers is a bit strong. I got mixed up with the mph, kph and actual paces being used. 🙈

Post edited by skyblue46 on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don’t think @Tanner Proud Telecommunications is really running slow recovery at 10.27m/h, which is faster than 6 min/mile pace. 10:27 per mile surely. 😉

• Saturday: 6 miles on a hilly route: 10.10 p/m

Sunday@ the gym for a session: 5 miles including;

10 x 400m @ 12kph with the last rep progressing to 12.5kph

1 minute jog between each rep with 2 minute jog on 4th and 8th rep

24 miles for the week...Happy enough with this considering the manic week I've had at work.

• I'm just ticking over for the moment, I might come up with something more solid at the start of February.

You're right though, i need to nail down some races and commit.

I havn't run a race in about two years.

For the marathon I used Hal Higdon 1 plan.

It got me through the marathon for 4.20 and that was a good few years ago now.

• Monday: 3.5 miles recover with a buddy, great to get out with someone.

My friend got an entry to DCM as well so we will probably end up training together.

Lots of catching up and plans to meet up again.

Tuesday: To the gym for some free weights, stretching and machine weights.

I need to start changing the routine up, lifting heavier and using different equipment. Its becoming very mundane.

I'm very conscious of my back for the lifting and squating. I went to a Physio before Christmas and he told me I have about 10%

movement in my lower back where the coccyx is and advised some invasive treatment for it.

I wont say what it was but I havn't been back to him since his suggestion and I ain't going to google it either.

My lower back feels fine to me (Thank God) and I'm not going to dwell on it.

Wednesday: 4.5 miles run but hilly enough. 9.50 minutes/mile

Again out with the buddy, a little faster tonight.

She was really struggling with this run and reckons she needs to shift a few kilos.

I dont think shes been out since before Christmas.

I'd also like to shift about 3 kilos, hopefully with the brighter evenings I might get out cross training in between runs

and becoming more active.

This working from home lark has turned me into a complete slob.

Sunday: 7 miles @ 9.30 minutes/mile

This was an enjoyable little run, got home just before the weather turned for the worst.

I didn't get much mileage covered this week but the plan is to start increasing the long run

and building more 1km repeats into my interval runs, need to build some strength and stamina.

I also need to go to a Physio, I'm having issues with both feet/ankle areas with different kinds of problems

I think I might have a touch of Tendonitis in the left foot and an overuse mild injury in the right foot that goes away on warm up.

I also have a tight IT band on the right leg.

• Poor week this week as getting close to a delivery in work so

late evenings and many people arguing and struggling with pressure.

Tuesday 5 miles @ 10 mins/mile

Wednesday 4.5 miles @ 10.10 per/mile

Sunday 7.3 miles @ 10.10 per mile

Got in a gym sessions on one of the evenings too.

Some stretching and free weights

• Advertisement

• Monday on the treadmill: 5 miles including 5 x 1km @11km/h with last km progressing to 12km/h

5 100m strides @14km/h to 15km/h

Free weights and stretching for half an hour.

Tuesday and Wednesday tough days in work so conserved my energy for it.

Thursday: 6 miles around the estate, i have a 1 mile loop and its very flat so 9.30 pace feels easy

Friday: 3 miles - Not sure of pace but finished around 29 minutes easy again

Saturday: 3 miles - Not sure of pace again but finished around 30 minutes - Felt tired on this run

Sunday on Treadmill: 8.5 km including 2km warm up and then 2 x 10 minutes @ 11.2 km/h with 90 seconds jog recover between each interval.

Then recover for 1km and then 5 100m @ 14km/h to 15 km/h

Recover again for another half km

Free weights and machine weights to finish it off.

Didn't get out for a long run this week but its on the cards

• Very busy week in work so not much energy this week with lack of sleep

Tuesday: 3 miles around the estate is all I could muster 9.34/pm

Thursday: 5km in the gym including 1km warm up 4x400m @ 12km/hr plus cool down.

Friday: Finished work at 5pm but had to log back on at 8pm so decided to nap in between which turned into 2hrs sleep

Work wasn't ready for me so went over to the gym and did a decent hour on the treadmill.

1km warm up

4.2km progressive run increasing by .1km every 200m from 10km/h to 12km/h

Jogged for a km

Then 500m @ 9.0km/hr, 500m@9.5km/h, 500m@10km/hr, 500m @10.5km/hr, 500m@11km.hr, 500m@11.5km/hr

Cool down for a km

I'm going to sign up for a few races over the next two months and try and build up my stamina that way and keep it interesting. Nothing over 10km

for the moment. I'm just not interested in doing a half until the summer comes up. I think I would just be discouraged if I ran a half at the moment anyway since I wouldn't even break 2hrs.

I don't feel like I'm making much progress; I can do some fast short bursts but anything over 5km just doesn't seem to be moving much pace wise even though I've been doing 7.5 mile runs on a hilly route which should count for something.

I might start giving the short intervals a miss and concentrating on hour runs at tempo pace on the treadmill instead. I'm lacking stamina and strength.

• Sunday: 8 miles - 10.13 pace

Monday: Did a longer session in the gym but no running

Got in some deadlifts, curls, rows, single legged deadlifts, Assisted pullups. Dips, stretching etc.

Wednesday: 4.6 miles :10.15 pace

Friday: 4.6 miles @ 10.10 pace

Saturday: 4 miles, 1 mile warm up and then a progression run from 9.0km/hr to 13km/hr on the treadmill.

Sunday: 10.20 miles @ 9.22, This was on my flat loop and I jogged it by feel, if I had a have done my usual hilly route it would've been a lot slower.

Are you following a plan or making it up as you go along?

If you feel you are not making progress it can be very disheartening.

The treadmill can be great but it can also be very limiting if you want to run certain types of sessions.

Doing 'hour runs at tempo pace' is a recipe for disaster in my opinion - but doing hour runs at a pace faster than your normal run pace can be very beneficial.

Doing 3x10 min tempo paced runs with 2-3 mins easy jog in between would be also a fantastic alternative. Another good one is something like 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 mins where the paces are quicker for the 1 and 2 mins and a tad slower for the 3 and 4 mins.

I'd also do the odd Parkrun as a tester prior to 'real' races - just to shock the system in a low pressure way.

• Cheers AMK, no I'm not following anything at the moment, just trying to get in a faster run and long run to give it some kind of structure

and hope my speed increases over distance.

It is very disheartening for sure. I'll give those sessions a go though thanks for that.

I've thought about doing the park run but I'm usually crashing out on Saturday morning after working the week.

I keep very irregular hours and usually nap during the evenings so it spoils my sleep pattern.

I have booked a few races now so maybe with a bit of discipline I could get up on Saturday morning and get down to Malahide parkrun.

• Didn't really get a chance to do anything much this week.

Got out with my friend for two runs Monday and Thursday:

Got to the gym on Tuesday I think; usual rows, deadlifts, dips etc.

Monday: 4 miles: 9.40 pace

Thursday: 4 miles: 9.30 pace

Sunday: 4 miles: 8.45 pace

Plan this week to do a long run and a Tempo and hopefully better mileage.

We have a migration in work at the end of this month and its absolutely mental so will do what I can.

• Monday treadmill: 5.5 km - 1 mile warm up, then progressive run from 9.0 to 11.5

Stretches, dips, curls, weighted single legged deadlifts, deadlifts, assisted pullups

Wednesday: Treadmill: 8.5km including: 6 x 5 mins with first 4 progressing from 11km/hr to 11.4km/hr

Then final 2 progressing from 11km/hr to 13.5km/hr

Cooldown.

I was quite pleased to increase these reps from 5 to 6 with no real effort. I feel stronger doing these though I think I should've just ran the final two same pace as first four.

Friday: 4.6 miles @10.13 pace. I was running up the road when I saw a small group of scumbags in training (about 14 or 15 yrs old). They

were trying to hassle a couple of black teenagers. They wern't getting anywhere and as I was approaching I was thinking I hope I'm not next.

Anyway they started on me, running in front of me, one of them pulling his balaclava down trying to scare me. I have to be honest, he looked like he wouldn't be able to last 400m if someone ran after him. I just said very good, now run along beside me for the next few miles and lets see how you get on.

Next of all a car came along and a man jumped out and started roaring at them. I didn't know if they were after irritating him earlier or if he saw them trying to intimidate me from his car but I wasn't complaining although I did get more of fright when he hopped out of the car 😁.

Saturday: 3.85 miles @ 9.47 pace - I got out in that mad wind and luckily missed the rain.

Sunday: 10 miles @ 10.15.

I'm in work this coming week including Paddy's, the next day and Saturday as well. I know they're going to try and guilt me into

Sunday as well but I just don't think I will be able for it. I probably won't get out running much but I will if I can.

These weekend releases usually end up running on until after midnight when things go pear shaped.

I have a holiday booked for end of April and I cannot wait for it. I know my friend is having issues with her job but I've already told myself that

I'm going alone even if she pulls out. I really need this holiday.

I saw a few nice sessions in Runners World that I'll try and follow. I'll see if I can get one of them in this week....hopefully.

• Monday: 4 miles @ 9.15 pace

Gym: knee raises, deadlifts, one legged deadlifts, rows, heel raises, stretching, assisted pull-ups, dips

Working all week so didn't get out. Decided to go out Friday night with my cousin to celebrate her new house.

Shes a social smoker and wanted to talk all night so we ended up sitting outside Bruxelles.

It was tough for me as not only am I an ex smoker who would still love to social smoke, I also had

a dress on so my legs were freezing and although I had a coat on, the neckline was loose fitted.

Next day i woke up with a temperature and exhausted.

I didn't think much of it as I improved, walked into town and home again no bother.

Then Sunday did 5 miles including 6 x 5 minutes @ 11 to 12 km/hr and felt fine.

Monday to today - I have been sick. Between wearing the wrong clothes and working like a lunatic, I have managed

to come down with a sore throat, temperature, aches and pains, fatigue and a funny sensation in my ear that feels like cabin pressure.

I cant really say I mingled with crowds as I was sitting outside and in a taxi with a shield.

I'm still working from home so I worked all week, I also managed to sleep in between meetings.

Two days there I slept for 3 hours between each meeting. I'm owed the time back anyway so I feel like I'm just using hours that I worked up.

All weekend I have been sleeping as well, so the sore throat is almost gone along with the aches and pains.

I just have the fatigue left now which will hopefully go away this week.

The good news is that my friend payed off her part of the holiday so hopefully we are both well when that comes around next month.

Not much of a running update but hopefully back in the saddle this coming week and fingers crossed I havn't lost too much fitness.

I was going to do a race in April but think I'll give it a miss, I'm not where I want to be yet.

• So went out for a 3 mile run last Monday 28th of March thinking I was getting better since the sore throat was gone.

But I ended up having to stop and walk a few times as was still lethargic.

Next day I was back to square one, felt awful and ended up just sleeping and working all week.

Went out on Saturday 2nd April for a 3 mile run, still felt weak but didn't need to walk.

I have found a good little plan in runners World to follow; its a 10km plan and is 8 weeks long.

I'll see how that goes and if I am making progress I will re-use it again until the plan starts for DCM.

Monday 4th April went to gym and did 5 miles including 5 x 5 mins @ 11 to 11.4 km/hr for first three reps

and then 11 to 12km/hr for last two reps. Cooldown

Then the usual single leg deadlifts, assisted pullups and dips.

Had a great sleep Sunday night and felt good in the gym. I did lose a little fitness, couldn't manage the 6th rep.

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday@ 4 miles easy - Didn't get out until half nine for this run, it was quite windy, raining and cold but I was well wrapped up.

A good character building run :)

Thursday: 10km with 3 x 5 minutes and two mins recovery.

First 5mins@ 11.1 to 11.5km/hr. Second 5 mins @ 11 to 12km/hr. Third 5 mins @ 11 to 12.5 km/hr

I did this in the gym. Next time I will do this outside, it was extremely boring and seemed to take forever to finish.

Friday: 4 miles easy@10.20 pace - Lovely, calm night running on a hilly route home.

Sunday: 7 miles @ 10/min/mile

I wasn't sure whether to go out this evening. I was driving down to Malahide earlier and saw a sign for

a Covid Booster shot, I thought I'd chance my arm walking in and they accepted me and gave me the Booster.

This is great as I'm going to USA and South America in less than three weeks.

I ran this locally and totally misjudged the run. i was running in loops and thought I had one more done than I did.

So only 7 miles, probably better off anyway in case I'm feeling the effects of the Booster tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

those 5 min reps you do - what pace are they done at (in terms of 5k pace or 10k pace or slower?) and what is the recovery in between.

Advertisement