Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

We're going to be paying more for fuel regardless and yes of course I'm fine with paying if it means cutting the legs out from under a warmongering dictator. Strange question. I'd hope this will kick the EU into gear in ending reliance on Russia for literally anything.

As for Irish soldiers, if he attacks the EU then I don't think any EU country can stay out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Also if Russia attacked Ireland would you want

1) France and Germany to condemn the attacks and vote in some sanctions?

2) or military aid to help get Russia out of Ireland?

if you’re consistent you’d say 1 but I suspect in reality you’d want 2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If they invaded Ireland of course I’d want others to support us militarily. And if someone attacked my daughter I’d want the living sh*t kicked out of them. That doesn’t mean the Gards should show up to their door with their batons drawn. My wants in an extreme case aren’t always a good reflection on what’s right or wrong. And when I’m so emotionally invested then my ability to make a balanced call on what third parties should do is severely compromised.

There are a lot of parallels being drawn between Nazi Germany and modern day Russia but there are a lot of very important differences too. Not least the level of destruction the push of a button can do today vs 80 years ago. The global economy is almost entirely unrecognisable vs 80 years ago too and so sanctions are a completely different option now to what they were, and far more effective.

At the end of the day, most of the rest of the world has moved on (at least to a point) from that incredibly destructive nationalism from 100 years ago. We need Russia to move on now too. The best way to do that is to show the Russian people that being the aggressor will hurt them without turning it into a fight. That’s part of why Biden was saying things like “we are not your enemy”. The more Russians that hear and believe that we don’t want to fight but are prepared to punish them if they do then the more they’ll question Putin. That may not help too much in the short term, but there’s a long term game to be played here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The more Russians that hear and believe that we don’t want to fight but are prepared to punish them if they do then the more they’ll question Putin.

The problem with this is that a lot of Russians won’t hear it or believe it. Most Russians believe that the Ukrainians are committing genocide against the separatists. What we see and what they see are very different pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Russian people are the key to this. While the Russian MSM is clearly biased and possibly controlled by the Kremlin, they can't stop younger people reading social media. The truth will begin to seep through to the Russian population.

Also, if, and admittedly it's a big if in the fog of war, but if the Ukrainians are to be believed then there will already be literally thousands of grieving mothers and wives back in Russia. I don't see how Putin can hide that from the Russian population.

The problem is that we still don't really know what Putin is trying to achieve, he can't occupy Ukraine, so does he want to create a buffer state between Russia and NATO, if Ukraine ends up like Cold War Germany with and East Ukraine and a West Ukraine will Putin be happy to see "West Ukraine" join the EU.

It's all very unpredictable.

Also to those saying the West should join the fight. I'm sorry but no. The ramifications are barely speakabke. Zelensky knew he was on his own from the outset. That's why he wanted to join NATO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Violent Mediocrity

The Russians have gone in soft and are waiting on a cue from the international community to escalate and start killing insurgents and bystanders. There have been tanks retracting from running over civilians and little street by street contact.

Looks like Putin is waiting for Russia to be pushed into corner by the world media and painted as a monstrosity. Putin is cunning and wiley. He will plant traps and play proxy battles and false flags. It will be all “we are keeping the peace” narrative.

He’s playing the long game and gaining territory softly and incrementally. It’s disconnected from reality and he thinks Lavrov and himself are untouchable or he is suicidal and doesn’t care. I always thought there was a deadness in his eyes. Something more than grit or pragmatism- something dead inside.

He let off a bit of a rant - Saddam did it in defiance, Putin did it on the offensive. I look forward to him being emasculated in the near future and possibly jailed for several life terms in The Hague. Likely he is a dead man walking if anything happens to Zelensky tonight or in the coming days. I can see an insurmountable wave engulfing Russia if they dare take him out.

Post edited by Violent Mediocrity on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think the issue being that a lot of the young people still buy into the anti west propaganda. Putin plays off that feeling. Even now, they’re not blaming the Ukrainians for this. They are blaming America and NATO. Fear plays strongly on any populations mind and Putin exploits that.

I think you’re right though, if there are a lot of Russian casualties. Public opinion will turn. I’m just not sure how much that will affect Putin, or if he truly cares.

I also agree that going to war with Russia is not a good idea. Western Troops would just solidify the conflict. The only real hope is sanctions that hit the people Putin really worries about, the Oligarchs.

What is the point of these posts? It's like you're going for some sort of gotcha but I really can't see why. Russia is the aggressor here. Anything that happens in future is a reaction to that.

What would actually happen is the Royal Navy/RAF would bomb whatever forces they sent to Ireland into the next century because it obviously wouldn't be acceptable to the UK to have Russia on the same island as their territory.

I think you’re reading my posts wrong. I could have as easily put Switzerland nz France Germany etc. Not trying to offend or insinuate anything.

• Advertisement

Hints at peace talks but under the threat of 'attend or what happens next is your fault'.

So much propaganda going about but prevailing sentiment seems to be that this has backfired for Russia and I guess you would say that if they are opting for talks and it isn't some ruse then they're concerned about their capabilities to convert this crisis into something sustainable.

I think Germany committing so substantially to military spending has been fairly considerable in all this and perhaps not what Russian analysts were anticipating. The scale and depth of financial sanctions also seem to have caught the Kremlin off guard and there are already indications that when Markets open on Monday the crippling impact will be visible straight away.

Honestly think this will have been a hugely consequential week for Russia in a more long term way than it will have been for Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Please forgive me for asking this question, but i don't know where else to ask - but what happen to the 'soccer forum' can't find it anywhere?

Kiev seems to be surrounded now, so it could be decision time for Zelensky. There are many many lives at stake, Russia might give him the option at these talks tomorrow of relocating to Lviv or to face terrible war. Not unlike Michael Collins and Lloyd George I suppose.

Wondered that myself. I only ever browsed it, but it seems even to read it you need permission.

.Putins looking for a way out? Honestly, I think the West have everything to lose by vilifying him. He is a madman-completely insane threatening nuclear readiness and force as a “defensive” measure. Like the planet annihilating jihadi. If I lose we all die. It’s blackmail.

I really dislike conceding to little men like him but I believe that is what is required for peace and security for the West. He will strike if cornered like the viper and he has fangs.

Ideally an overthrow in some shape or form through an uprising and a defanging of Russian nuclear capability permanently is the ideal outcome. Not likely though. What would it take turning all the generals? Coordinating disposal and turning all the oligarchs?

Likely at this stage, the outcome will be a concession filled agreement by Zelensky. He will be captive for the rest of his life but has earned enough credibility with his people to be seen as not turning voluntarily to Russia. Blackmail is always best called out but how can you call a bluff on a possible nuclear holocaust?

if you’re interested in on the ground updates follow Zelensky_official. It’s astonishing the developments coming in on it

I think the talk of Kiev being surrounded was primarily based on a misquote in relation to curfew but realistically it's only a matter of time. That said, surrounding the city and taking control of it are two vastly different things and none of the rhetoric from Ukrainian sources have indicated anything other than full resistance so far.

Putin might have to settle for being king of the ashes and we might even see humanitarian air drops again of Russia opts for a slow moving siege.

Putin can threaten these things, but he is not the god king emperor, if those around him stand to lose too much his authority will quickly evaporate and an escalation against NATO would fully realise that whether nuclear or not.

The Russian economy is going to collapse in around 11 hours time, it won't impact huge swathes of the country because they are already poor and asset stripped, but it will immediately impact the people around Trump, the people around them and the people around them who hold vast swathes of Russian wealth in a concentrated 10 - 13% of the population.

This will escalate to a point, but in two weeks Russian's economy could shrink to below that of Spain's and in the meantime Putin is going to have to obliterate parts of major cities in Ukraine to fulfil any objectives (and create a lasting insurgency in the process).

In reality - he has been terrible advised, has taken a course of action that has alienated even his allies (Turkey / China) and is surrounded by people as loyal to themselves as he is to himself.

^^^ jaypers its like the masons😑

Boards has become a textbook case of how not to “upgrade” a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

Yeah, seems to be a bad case of overreach. I expected he would annex Donbas and the Russian speaking areas to create a buffer zone but he's gone all in and if he can't achieve his military aims very quickly all of his political leverage evaporates and the whole thing becomes a major liability for him and Russia. It looks to be going badly for Russia but it's worth remembering that when the US invaded Iraq the whole thing ground down for two days while they waited for fuel supplies from the rear. They will capture Kiev, etc and probably lots of people will die. The military part of it should not be very complicated in the short term but an occupation of Ukraine is likely to be a very expensive and unpopular clusterf*ck for Russia longer term.

But lost in all this by many people (in Europe and the USA) is that Ukraine joining NATO or the EU is an existential threat to Russia and has been since the collapse of the Soviet Union, which is why there was an understanding that NATO would not expand into Eastern Europe in the 90s, which it did. Russia now has American troops on its border in the Baltics, for example. This was always going to blow up in one way or another so the idea that Putin is a madman or somehow exceptional in how he sees this situation is deeply misinformed. Any Russian leader would have the same view of Ukraine and see the same threat in its cozying up to Europe/US/NATO. None of this stuff fell off a Christmas tree, and the powers that be have been fully aware of these dynamics for decades.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If you acquiesce to a madman you will get neither peace nor security.

There is absolutely zero evidence that Ukraine will do anything except fight on and continue causing Russia significant damage they can ill afford.

It is becoming more and more clear that this is a colossal misstep by Putin.

There is no threat to Russia. NATO was never going to invade Russia. However a functioning democracy in Ukraine would be a threat to Putin himself. He’s just guaranteed that NATO will be reinforced and potentially expanded.

Funny, most of the planet is in agreement with me. You can defend him for whatever reasons you want to dress it up in, strategic, political or otherwise it won’t make me think I am biased or in some way “deeply misinformed”.

A man who threatens a nuclear holocaust to achieve a land grab and invasion is a violent terrorist. He is not acting out strategically or out of some altruism for his people. He wants to be strong and is willing to inflict pain and suffering on people so he can feel that way. He is the stereo typical snake and small man.

You defend the Russian cause or justify it by saying that NATO is encroaching on their doorstep. You did this as though NATO encroachment is an “existential” threat to Russia. All this is said while NATO isn’t threatening to blow up Russia or the planet. The only existential threat to anyone is the one threatening to end the planet.

To say this is the Russian way of seeing things or that Many Russians are like him is true but is that acceptable to the civilised world. Russia is by choice on the outside of world affairs and global institutions? Why? Is it being pushed around or isolated? Why might that be the case? Because it is and has been a greedy, irresponsible and bad actor.

By the very history of Russia it’s leaders acting in their stead and in Russias interests are likely to become isolated and therefore disconnected, defensive and aggressive. To say Putin is a product of Russia and not exceptional is true but that very entity is not capable of being appeased.

Russia is a violent bully, and while no one else I know says it to appease or talk down the one using blackmail, I believe Russia has to be dismantled in its current form. It is an oversized land mass and the worlds polulation is growing.

That land could be put to good use of it wasn’t exploited by small violent men. I think several European style countries would suffice starting with the peninsula beside Finland and dividing St.Peterberg from Moscow. Several more large countries could exist with prosperity their aim and rather than one large land mass with a violent dictator holding the world to ransom.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You're basically describing the colonisation of Africa for the 21st century.

Except who is threatening and using force in this instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

I’m not defending it, I’m trying to understand it. What’s the world in which this makes sense for Putin and the elites who support him in Russia? Morally it is obviously disgusting, and at the same time it’s true that what’s happening in Ukraine has a context that goes back further than tanks rolling last week. I’m opposed to Russia invading Ukraine the same way I’m opposed to the Iraq invasion and what the Saudis are doing in Yemen, the Palestine horror, etc. It’s obscene, but I’m not that interested in trying to understand it as some other category of operations. It’s powerful states acting on weaker ones through violence for particular reasons and for particular objectives. What are the objectives and reasons? There’s more to it than, ‘Putin’s a mad bastard and I’m tweeting 🇺🇦 ’.

@swiwi_ As for NATO not planning to invade Russia so why worry about it.. that’s not how Russia has ever seen it, as they’ve been explicit about since ‘89. No more than America could tolerate missiles in Cuba in the 60s, or Russian troops on the Mexican border. No one is invading anyone until they do.

Maybe the wrong forum tho’. I’m not planning to make any more work for mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

If NATO didn't exist anymore and Nord Stream 2 was up and running the Russians wouldn't have any reason to do anything. They wouldn't want to jeopardise a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Instead, NATO has expanded right up to their borders, making the Russians feel threatened.

It's win-win for America. If Russia had done nothing they would have been a step closer to nuclear primacy through having missiles in the Ukraine. And now, as things are, Nord Stream 2 is cancelled, so the Americans will be rubbing their hands together in glee.

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you want to continue to discuss Ukraine, Russia or global politics then move this to either Current Affairs or Politics.

This is the last warning on this on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ukraine did have nuclear weapons but gave them up in a voluntary agreement with Russia and others. Most of the rest of what you say is bollocks. If NATO didn't exist, Eastern Europe would still be slave states to Russia.

Advertisement