Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Allowance and receiving cash birthday present

• 27-02-2022 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm on jobseekers allowance with savings of about €5000. My Dad gave me €2000 cash as a birthday present for my 30th birthday. I didn't have to declare this to revenue as this is below the €3000 limit for gift tax. Do i need to inform the DSP about this €2000? Or would they not care seeing how this brings my savings to €7000 which is well below the €20,000 mark at which point the DSP start making deductions to your jobseekers allowance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

You're below the threshold so it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BattleHardened

If i tell them about the €2000, will they think i'm being too well taken care of and then put more pressure on me with CE schemes and so on that i might not be interested in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

Why tell them? Don't go looking for hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BattleHardened

Well what happened is they saw me putting the money into my bank account. They now think i'm working for cash somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

By they “saw” you, do you mean they’ve asked you for a bank statement and you are wondering what will happen now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there a verifiable trail of where your father withdrew or obtained the €2k in cash from to give you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

OP, I'm assuming the Department had recently requested a review of your claim and as part of that, looked at your means, Savings and requested recent bank statements.

They've obviously seen the lodgement of 2k and are seeking an explanation.

It sounds like you did a cash lodgement, an electronic lodgement easier to show a Trail (from your dad's account to yours) etc, cash not so easy.

The only way I can see you addressing this is perhaps a Signed letter from your father explaining the Birthday Gift and relevant dates. Your father is not obligated to share any of his details but could choose to, if he can show a withdrawal for the amount on his own Bank account account, but in absence of being able or prepared to, a letter from him may be required.

Based on a number of recent Threads on this forum there has definitely been an increase in reviews across a number of SW payments, whilst quite normal, the Onus is on you to explain lodgements, particularly large one's.

Ask the Department if a letter from your Dad explaining the birthday gift will be acceptable.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement