Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Summer Wine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That's great work, delighted to see it. Congrats on cracking the 6 year old PB !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Another PB, a negative split and a great run report - what more is there? You're in great shape these days, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Week of 7 Feb

Thanks for all the comments - it’s great to get the feedback, regardless of performance, but always better when the result has been good. Reflecting on the race again, I can’t really pinpoint anything that could have gone much better, which is a statement I have rarely been able to make. I am particularly pleased that I managed to do what I hoped for after the midweek Winter League session - to finish the race with three miles like I’d just run. I’d worried that the session might have been a tad close to the race but there were no ill effects.

Just recovering this week mostly. Got a club text about running the National Masters Cross Country next weekend but declined.

Mon 7 Feb

30 mins recovery

A plod along the seafront during GAA hour. I’d had a sports massage earlier in the day and probably should have left it at that - legs weren’t up for any kind of running really, and I was pretty bonked. Bumped into Ferris so at least had company for a bit of this.

Tue 8 Feb

No running. Yesterday’s vibe was a sign to take a day off.

Wed 9 Feb

54 mins easy around Dublin Port. Checked out the new road layout. Great to see a lot of progress has been made on the new Greenway construction. Hopefully the momentum continues.

• This week: 14k (9m)
    • This month: 67 (42)
    • This year: 395 (245)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Well done on the recent pb always a nice reward when you make sacrifices with clean living. The consistency give you a great platform to springboard from.

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on the alcohol thing. I'm not planning on total abstention but for me, staying away from it for a few weeks has had noticeable benefits in terms of sleep, hydration and general energy levels. Like a few others, I noticed my consumption increasing noticeably during the early restrictions and lockdowns, and it kind of stayed there a bit longer than I would have liked. I'm no prude when it comes to the drink but I'm happy to take a step back every so often and this one is long overdue.

It can be a sensitive subject - I remember starting a thread here years ago about alcohol being the elephant in the room for some runners, including myself. The general reaction was, we're not professionals or elites, and we shouldn't obsess too much about the downsides of things we enjoy doing, etc, and I get that. But at the same time, I'm happy to experiment with it to try to find the right balance, especially as an older runner who might not have the powers of recovery I once had.

Not sure how much of a factor it was in the recent performance - probably not huge, as it's fairly comparable to the November half marathon where I wasn't particularly abstemious in the buildup. But certainly something for me to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Likewise I would be a fan of a good whisky myself personally (there is a certain allure to anything from Islay)

Though there is an un deniable link between Stress, injury risk etc and drink, no harm in a few weeks here or there if the aim is consistency or just going through stressful time in life. Everything in moderation including moderation.

definitely if the opinion that should have the things we enjoy in life though big difference between habitual and enjoying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just catching up - congrats on the PB - not easy conditions to PB in.

Those 'steady' runs you've been doing are something I'm thinking about a bit for future training cycles - whether they be MP or MP+.

Great stuff all around!

Thurs 10 Feb

35 mins recovery around the Collins Ave loop.

Fri 11 Feb

60 mins inc. 30 mins @ sub-T

Treadmill workout! My membership in Flyefit, taken out just before the pandemic, has been suspended or paused more or less the whole time since. Finally dropped in on a whim. It was cold out, and I decided to see what a short MP workout would feel like on the treadmill. The place was quiet enough and I quite enjoyed it. Chose some Mojave Desert scenery on the screen. Cooldown back to the office.  

Sat 12 Feb

10.4k inc parkrun #169

A loose plan to visit Poppintree changed after sleeping it out - house alarm had gone off in the middle of the night, thankfully just a failure to lock up properly. Out of bed just in time to get down to Fairview but then couldn’t find wristband so after printing out a new barcode and jogging down I’d missed the start by about 5 mins. No bother - I enjoy playing the catchup game through the field, although this time I was ‘lapped’ by the eventual first finisher not long after starting. Ended up doing the three laps in about 24 mins, my default ‘parkrun steady’ pace. A few more miles on the Howth Road and Griffith Ave.

Sun 13 Feb

LR - 90 mins 

After some Junior parkrun volunteering, a blustery and slightly damp LR on Dollymount Beach and back home to Fairview. Happy enough with the week - low mileage and plenty of recovery but also a couple of short steady workouts, so back to normal next week. 

• This week: 57k (36m)
    • This month: 110 (68).
    • This year: 438 (272)

Week of 14 Feb

This week, more base building, and a Winter League outing on Weds.

Mon 14 Feb

62 mins with 40 @ ‘steady’

As is the usual Monday routine, dropped the boy at GAA club. Warmed up as far as the Wooden Bridge then tucked into a 40-minute sub-threshold run. It was a crisp evening and I was happy to see I was hitting just faster than marathon pace with the HR in the right zone. That’s a sign of notable progress over the last few weeks. Would have done a bit more tonight but time was tight. Told afterwards to start choosing lumpier routes for these runs - that won't be problem next week as I'll be up in Donegal.

Tue 15 Feb

35 mins recovery on the Collins Ave loop. Weary enough going, no love for this one.

Wed 16 Feb

An email from work colleague and former clubmate M, inviting me to pick up my share of our BHAA winnings from the EIR cross country a few weeks ago. It took me a while to find his office in the Arts Block labyrinth but eventually the swag was mine. A cool €15 in hard cash, effectively refunding the annual fee, and bringing my career earnings to €65, a book bag and a set of coasters. The life.

Winter League Round 6 - 2 miles (10th in 13:01)

Arrived early enough to get in a couple of laps of the hallowed Wade Ave circuit, noting the general windiness abroad. I wondered how much it would affect the race - certainly would place question marks around managing a PB effort, which I’ve been thinking about. Tonight was also the Donagh Lynch Cup, a club handicap race (where you don’t know your handicap til the end, or possibly not ever). I figured as they’d stuck me in Division 3 for the series I might have a generous number, so was prepared to give it a bit of a lash. Lined up in a more businesslike slot than usual and hit it fairly hard from the start, and after the first 400m I found myself not too far behind K, who was pulling away though, even as I went past G and a few other enthusiastic starters. If I could keep K in my sights for a while it would be an achievement, as I was already in my usual no man’s land position at the first turn, 600m in. To add to the excitement, one of my shoelaces had opened, but there was no way I was going to stop. Kept the effort up on All Saints Road, with a nice tailwind, which seemed to follow us around the second turn onto Wade Ave also, although by now there was someone on my tail. Kept the head down and got on with it, pleasantly surprised to hear the timekeeper shout 6:26 as I completed lap 1. A decent clip, and if I could keep it up I’d be in good shape. Down Howth Road the second time, however, the wind was more of a factor with no other bodies around, and I started to feel a bit sorry for myself, especially with the shoelace flapping annoyingly about. The runner on my shoulder made a move - I heard the footsteps echoing closer and he went by exactly where I'd passed a rival myself last time, just past the turn onto All Saints again. Not the runner I had thought it might be, and I let him go, lamely enough. He was looking pretty strong to be fair, but I might have put up more of a fight. At least I could focus on his back for a while, which provided some distraction until the final turn where I think I was able to pick it up and finish reasonably strongly, in what turned out to be 10th place in the small field of 34. My form had felt poor in the second lap - very clunky - and when I looked at the watch and saw just over 13 mins I realised just how much slower lap 2 had been. Oh well. A few more rounds still to go, and my best placing to date. More importantly, another few Division 2 scalps taken. 😎

Turned out I finished second in the handicap race, so at least I seem to be exceeding the expectations of whoever calculates these things. The winner was G, the guy who finished behind me in 11th. He’s not even in our club and amazingly they let him leave with the trophy. 😜 Damn shoelace. Probably cost me the 10 seconds. 😁

Another lap to cool down, so 9.33k / 49 mins for the evening.

• This week: 27k (17m)
    • This month: 137 (85).
    • This year: 465 (289)
    Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Jaysus, how quickly you forget.....most of my current injury problems probably stem from carrying you around Trim 10 on more than one occassion. The day you failed to man up and break 63 is probably still your PB😜

And just FYI I wasn't pacing him, I was only designated driver for this one😁

......correction maybe I read your comment wrong first time around and missed the reference to the wind. Can't argue with that one😁

• Advertisement

Week of 14 Feb cont

Thurs 17 Feb

Rest.

Fri 18 Feb

60 mins easy

Headed out through the south city before the worst of the Eunice-related winds. Was still pretty blowy all the same - when I got to the Sandymount coast my skinny frame was taking a bit of abuse. Headed inland but then somehow two turns later I ended back on the same road. The mysteries of the southside!

Sat 19 Feb

8.1k inc parkrun #170 @ steady

It was pouring rain as I headed out towards Drimnagh, hoping to cross Brickfields off the Dublin parkrun list. Hit loads of traffic lights and got there just before 9:30 but as I was jogging through the gates, an exiting runner told me the run was cancelled due to flooding on the paths. Oh well. I pulled up Griffeen’s details on my phone and thought, it’s 10k away, even if I start late I’ll be in before the last of the walkers. Off to Lucan but when I got there, circling part of the park in the car looking for some activity, there was no sign of any runners at all. Anyway this was a ridiculous plan. Rather than park and go looking for the course I decided to call it off and maybe head to the Phoenix Park for a few miles. On the way there, passing through Palmerstown, I thought, well, would be nice to run the Waterstown course again. In I go, passing the start area, see a few people on the course, think maybe I can beat the tailwalkers to the finish. And so I did in the end, although it required a bit of a sprint, finishing in just over 24 mins (gun time 54). Nice chat with the timekeeper, who promised to visit us in St. Anne’s some day. Another lap of the course to cool down. It’s a hilly enough loop, but as I discovered on the cooldown, hitting parts of the park I hadn’t seen before, it could be far worse! 

Sun 20 Feb

LR - 90 mins 

A damp but quite balmy morning - I didn’t have much of a plan for this, just to run at least 90 mins, ending in St. Anne’s where A and the boys were on jr parkrun duty (the lads volunteer rather than run these days). So up the Howth Road and a tour of the Raheny environs in the wind and rain. Quite enjoyable while it lasted, but I kept to the minimum duration at the end, glad of the coat and warm clothes I’d stashed in the boot of the car. Low mileage this week due to two rest days and some runs at the bare minimum distance. But it’s only February.

Signed up for a couple of the Race Series events this summer - Frank Duffy (of course) and Fingal 10k.

• This week: 61 km (38 mi) - 338 mins
    • This month: 171 (106).
    • This year: 499 (310)

Week of 21 Feb

This week I'm in Donegal, which obviously throws up a few hillier options and hopefully a weekend visit to Letterkenny parkrun. The pre-Chicago block base-building continues.

Mon 21 Feb

Rest day, driving.

Tue 22 Feb

80 mins with 60 @ steady

Forgot to bring the HR so this was by feel, twice around the local loop, which isn’t too strenuous overall but has plenty of ups and downs. I usually do this loop at easy or recovery pace so it was a bit of a novelty. The circuit feels much shorter at steady pace, and surprisingly I didn’t feel discommoded by the hills. Met another runner, which is a real rarity on these roads. “At least it’s dry” he called, prompting a downpour a few minutes later. Enjoyed this one, felt great after it. Second lap was a bit slower, possibly due to the weather turning a bit less favourable, possibly due to me switching off a little (or likely a bit of both). 

Wed 23 Feb

50 mins easy, out with the wind, back into it.

Thurs 24 Feb

75 mins with 60 @ steady

Another steady one, this time into rain and wind, trying just to feel the effort - the breath not quite catching at the top of the throat but registering there all the same. The weather was absolutely atrocious - wind giving way to rain, hail and even a bit of sunshine for one very brief moment. Conditions as bad as I've ever run in. At one point an elderly woman stopped her car and said something, didn’t quite catch it but she might have been offering me a lift. The only enjoyable part of this was finishing with the wind behind. Hands and wrists absolutely frozen at the end of it. Bracing stuff! 

• This week: 38k (24m)
    • This month: 209 (130)
    • This year: 537 (334)

Week of 21 Feb cont

Fri 25 Feb

42 mins recovery

Once more around the loop.

Sat 26 Feb

Letterkenny parkrun (5th finisher, 22:13)

Finally made it to Letterkenny, for the launch of Sanctuary Runners Donegal. (Sanctuary Runners is about showing a bit of solidarity with people in Direct Provision, as much about the tea and chat than the running/walking. The mrs is more involved than me - I don’t attend many of the runs but I do enjoy the craic when I do.) The course in Letterkenny is quite interesting - three laps of a loop that circles the derelict mental hospital before entering the small but elegant Town Park. The whole thing is on the side of a hill so plenty of up and down. Pretty challenging! The plan was a tempo effort, which I probably exceeded considerably on the uphills. Glad I didn’t have the HRM with me. Started at the back of a group of six at the front, pushed past one of them in lap two and help on to that spot for the rest of the run. The nature of the course means you’re doubling back in places and eventually lapping people, so you’re never on your own. Did a few more kms around local housing estates and roads afterwards, before the tea, banana bread and chats. 

Sun 27 Feb

LR - 116 mins 

Last Donegal run for a while - 12+ miles past the Croagh caravan park and back via Drumbarron. Once again, passed another runner - you wait ages for one and two come along in the same week. Another year older today. Relentless! 

• This week: 76k (47m) - 420 mins
    • This month: 247 (153)
    • This year: 574 (357)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Happy birthday young man. Like a fine wine you're only getting better with age.

Thanks, P. As it happens, the log title is starting to look a bit ironic as I'm still more or less off the drink. Didn't even have a birthday tipple!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Hope you had a good one D, same age category this year or have you graduated to a higher level?

I really should follow your example.....any day now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thanks - just finished the M60 rookie year, a long way to go before the next milestone. 😱

Week of 28 Feb

This week, there’s another round of the Winter League, and some cross country at the weekend. It’s likely that all this racing is interfering somewhat with the longer-term base building, and those whose advice I value sometimes question this. But I’m enjoying the mix at the moment, and will continue. 

Mon 28 Feb

16.7 kms with 60 mins @ sub-T

For tonight’s steady run, I chose a route up the Malahide Road, and around via Donaghmede to Raheny to return on the Howth Road. Plenty of drags, then, although most of them in the first half. Like one of last week’s steady runs, there was a distinct slowing in the second half, although this was not really something I noticed at the time. I’d put it down to lack of concentration more than anything else. That said, I struggled to get the HR into the zone tonight, putting it down to a bad contact (sometimes get poor HR data in cold weather). Although it's also possible that I just wasn’t working hard enough.

Feb total - 263 kms (164 mi)

Tue 1 Mar

Rest.

Wed 2 Mar

Winter League Round 7 - 3 miles (20:03)

Got to Raheny early enough to get in four very easy warmup miles around the local roads before changing into lighter, faster tee-shirt and Vaporflys for the race itself. Another small turnout, not helped by the damp conditions, although it was quite a mild night, and I ditched the gloves, hat and buff for the first time in the series to date. My goal for this race was to finish ahead of the usual rivals, maybe take another scalp or two, depending on who showed up. Timewise, something just under 20 mins would be nice, but that would probably depend on whether I had someone realistic to chase, or someone chasing me.

When Pat Hooper was around, there was always a few words of club news after we lined up and before the countdown to start. Now it’s just, ’To the line, 3-2-1 go!’, which is always a bit disconcerting. Barely enough time to get the watch started. Kept an eye open for who was around and settled in on D’s shoulder, moving past G and one or two others in the first 500m. As a car approached from behind (one of the delights of these open road events), D signalled me to step in front and I didn’t see him again, passing another couple of bodies on All Saints before drawing level with O, pulling ahead on Wade Ave towards the end of lap one (6:40). And that was it for the placings. There were a couple of runners a good bit ahead, pulling away, and I just tried to keep a steady and constant pace through lap two (6:45). I was feeling pretty good with a mile to go, trying consciously every so often to relax, breathe properly, stave off the heaves - a rare success. A final word of encouragement from Coach P, standing on a corner about 500m from the finish, and I picked it up slightly after the final turn to finish the final lap well (6:38). 9th place in 20:03, my best finish in the series so far (although to be fair I’ve only properly raced a couple of them). Another lap and I might have picked up another place, as B in front was slowly coming back to me. A few chats and a cooldown lap to bring the evening’s total to 13.3 kms (8 miles).   

• This week: 30k (19m)
    • This month: 13 (8).
    • This year: 604 (376)

• Advertisement

A couple of years ago id have said the same about interfering with base building but my opinion has changed on that one. It's really all about what keeps you motivated and getting out there week in week out. A lot of the best club runners I see race quite a bit, randomly. Whatever keeps you motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Definitely agree with this! A lot of folks I know race a fair bit - even through their marathon plans - they also aren't as 'wedded' to a plan as I would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Jaysus lads, don't encourage him, he doesn't need it 😅

Wasn't this cross country stuff you idea? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

guilty as charged 😅

Week of 28 Feb cont

Thurs 3 Mar

42 mins recovery around the campus and College Park. 

Fri 4 Mar

52 mins easy on the seafront. 

Sat 5 Mar

BHAA AIB/MU Cross Country

I’d pledged to do three cross country events in the season so signed up for this race as it would be the final opportunity to add to the two others I’d raced in January. Knew on the heavy-legged warmup that this would be a bit of a grind, still somewhat feeling the effects of the other night’s race, or just a general tiredness. The course was four laps of the canal end of the south Maynooth University campus, where I did a good bit of training when I worked out there a few years ago. About 85 runners taking part. Lined up and found what I hoped would be a sustainable pace during the slightly longer first lap, going past a few on the long section by the back wall, and another couple near the lap end. Still feeling the legs during lap two, and I knew the second half of this race would be a slog. Was slowly reeling in blue shirt in front. Got caught then in some traffic in the trees on lap three, having to jink around an elderly lapped runner. Passed blue a bit audaciously near the only mud on the course, and he immediately injected some pace and settled in back in front. I didn’t have the resources to assert myself again, and there was also the matter of more footsteps from behind, and eventually another mature gent sidles past, possibly an age rival. Within 40 or 50 metres the two of them had pulled ahead of me and I could see them tussle with each other for the duration of the rest of the race. Eventually finished in 48th (in 28:08) after a fairly solitary final lap where I felt I was slowing quite a bit, but at least didn’t get passed again. Box ticked. The time was actually the fastest-paced of the three XC races this year, but a lot of that was due to the mostly firm and very flat course. Couple of cooldown laps took the morning’s total to about eight miles/70+ mins.  

Sun 6 Mar

LR - 90 mins

A first run of the year in the Phoenix Park. Perimeter lap, then up and down Chesterfield and the Kyber. No leaves yet on the trees and a bit blowy when running East, but a beautiful sunny morning, with plenty of punters enjoying the park.  

• This week: 75k (47m) - 420 mins
    • This month: 58 (36)
    • This year: 649 (404)

Week of 7 Mar

No racing this week! More of the usual, and some warm weather work at the end, all going well. 

Mon 7 Mar

65 mins @ sub-T. 

GAA hour - barely enough time to squeeze this one in before the lad’s training hour would be over. No warmup, which is a bit reckless. Straight into steady mode up the Howth Road, looping around by Donaghmede and Kilbarrack and back down through Raheny. I kept an eye on the HR this time to make sure I didn’t fall asleep and the result was a good honest steady run. Ready for my dinner after that. Fell asleep on the couch later, but then lay awake half the night. Have been sleeping well in recent weeks/months but the insomnia is starting to kick in again. 

Tue 8 Mar

60 mins recovery around the Griffith Ave, Glasnevin, Drumcondra. Wearing my woolly marathon hat, which meant a hello from any other marathon hat wearers. 

Wed 9 Mar

Rest. Had the gear in the bag at work but was very busy, and anyway the sound of the rain on the office window never stopped. 

• This week: 23k (15m)
    • This month: 82 (51)
    • This year: 673 (418)

Week of 7 Mar cont. 

Thurs 10 Mar

100 mins with 75 @ steady

I always enjoy a run after hitting some sort of work milestone/deadline. Fired off a few files to the ‘boss’ and was into the running gear in no time. Started jogging towards Sandymount but remembered the ‘keep it lumpy’ advice in time and did an about turn and headed along the quays then followed the marathon route through Stoneybatter to the Park, starting the steady stuff on Blackhall Place. Running through town is a head wreck so it was great to get to the relative peace of the park. Did a circuit starting up the North Road. No HR strap today so just tried to keep the pace a bit slower than MP. Still had about 12 mins to do after leaving the park, which was tricky enough - finally hit the 75 mins at the Four Courts. Enjoyed that!  

Fri 11 Mar

68 mins recovery. Seafront, St. Anne’s, Howth Road.

Sat 12 Mar

51 mins ‘easy’

Travelled to Lanzarote with 3am start after a family celebration the night before. Plenty of time to recover from the hangover, not to mention the novelty of the extended gathering, but pretty tired for this hilly run around the local volcano (long dormant). “Great to have gotten out at all” etc.

Sun 13 Mar

LR - 90 mins

I love holiday running, especially when you kind of know a few routes. We are in a place from before my running habit formed but the memory was still there and it was interesting to attack the Playa Blanca promenade from the opposite direction, 11 years later. Slow, but revealing.

• This week:  78k (49m) - 440 mins
    • This month: 136 (85)
    • This year: 727 (453)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Great consistency as always. Enjoy your holidays 💥 I'm actually heading to Playa Blanca in 3 weeks time with the family, hope you report on some good running routes over your next few updates so I can take a look and try some of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Nice..That promenade is fantastic for running.

Advertisement