Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭zv2

All countries are corrupt. That does not justify invasion.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Were in it and we dont have control of our own territory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

No coincidence, I'm sure.

The modern war is not just fought on the streets.

Also, fast tracking Ukraine membership to the EU circumventing almost all normal entry requirements and due process is not a good idea at all even in these trying times. This talk should certainly be cooled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Are symbols more important than the rule of law? Because fast tracking Ukraine into the EU without the proper approvals and safeguards put in place in their country would be an affront to the rule of law. It would make a mockery of EU citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

China will step up buying of Russian bonds, it will bring Russia closer to being a client state of China. China did the same during the bank crisis in Europe, a lot of the Irish bonds were bought by China while we were on our knees. Their web of global influence continually expands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

No it isn't. Please don't transfer your savings into a foreign bank account. There is just no way your money won't get stolen by middle-men.

I always say that Irish people/boardsies are naive and it always gets taken as an insult, which it isn't intended to be, but I hope people listen to me just this once.

Pray for the Ukrainian forces. Stage morale-boosting gestures, like protests and photos with flags. Don't transfer money into a void.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Why are the EU so desperate for Ukraine to join?

Why would the EU be so desperate for a country that is the most corrupt in Europe behind Russia to join the EU? Why are they not as desperate for Belarus to join the EU? Turkey applied for membership in 1987 and still hasn't been accepted.

When I saw boardsies were sending money to Ukrainian bank accounts that takes the biscuit.

I've been on Boards just under a year, (I came for the craic, but then this effin' conflict started) but that was a low point. Granted, people can send money where they like, but going to the effort to put 'bullets' on the transfer is indicative of the mentality you are talking about.

Billions pouring in from the US, EU for military supplies and some people think 600 euros worth of bullets is going to make a difference and is better than sending humanitarian aid? Disturbing. Does this person make a habit of funding arms? Have they funded parties in any other conflicts? Do they fund armed groups in Ireland? And why don't they fight their own battles?

Would be great if those bullets could be tracked, one by one, to see what their effect is, whose hands they ultimately fall into, and what they are used for. Fuel on the fire. And, BTW, it undermines the actions and attitudes shown by the Irish government, who for all their faults, have more cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Russian news agency Tass has just been hacked www.tass.com - accordingly there was anti Putin messages on it a short time ago. It's just down now.

Sky news reporting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Indeed, the Russian central bank is almost fully blocked in that regard, it also covers millions in currencies like CNY they receive from redemptions and so on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

In my opinion, it's far more likely Russia sent in the conscripts first with poor equipment to tire and wear down the Ukrainians. This is day 4 of the war. Russian troops outside of Ukraine will be living as normal. The Ukrainians have likely been on the go non stop the last 4 days and lost a lot of sleep etc.

Why are the EU so desperate for Ukraine to join the EU? Think about that logically and come back to me.

Maybe, but it would be a pretty bloody weird way to approach what you hope to be a lightning war.

The EU are not desperate for Ukraine to join, so no need to think much about the pointless hypothetical.

Unfortunately NI is not officially recognised as Irish sovereign territory.

Donbas in Ukraine (and now much more of it than that) are Ukrainian territories they have lost control of.

I've already told you what I think the endgame is, and you conveniently ignore it because it doesnt suit your narrow view of the world.

Putin will besiege Kiev and the rest of Ukraine if need be, until the current Ukrainian government agree to his terms which will be something like "No NATO, No EU, Demilitarisation, No discrimination against russian language, recognition of Donbas and Crimea".

I think current round of talks will fail, and maybe in another week or two they will come to an agreement similar to the above. Putin will withdraw mostly as being a hostile occupying force is a bad and costly move.

EU membership talk at this point is silly. Short and medium term aid and preferential loans with the overarching message that it isn't contingent on EU membership, they can decide on that later. Messaging is important (don't think von der Leyen's statement was be posted around the internet if membership is on the cards in future) and the help the EU gives shouldn't be, and shouldn't be seen to be contingent on Ukraine joining up.

Putin wants a Russian puppet, the way it was up to the 2014 revolution. How do you not know this?

Even the Intelligence from 6 weeks ago said this was his aim.

How does he control 40m people? Nigh on impossible but Belarus manage to do it with 10m people. His only method will be to break the spirit of the Ukrainians to submit them. I don't think it's possible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are so-called ethnic Russians all over Ukraine who quite happily live in Ukraine and have done for many decades. There is no risk to those in the East from the Ukrainian state, it's a bunch of separatists who'd rather go back to Mother Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I got into a fight once, thankfully I just let the other guy puck the head off me rather than throw flames on the fire by doing something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Calm down. They want the application process to start, it doesn't mean automatic acceptance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Assuming they can still negotiate and not just surrender, Ukraine will have some tough choices ahead. I can't see Russia just packing up and leaving the entire territory.

Either a neutral, somewhat hobbled by a federal structure Ukraine for the entire territory.

Or, a Ukraine ceding chunks of its territory in the south east but that Western rump is free to plot its own course.

The size of that chunk will be determined by soldiers on the ground when the fighting stops.

I don't see all of Ukraine as claimed by their government getting into the EU.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Anyone who thinks Ukraine will agree to "demilitarisation" and an agreement to never join EU/NATO should not be calling out other people for their "narrow view of the world".

It would go against everything Ukraine have been doing since 2014. They have no interest in being a Russian puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Maybe check that again and roll the old eyes elsewhere.

Are you defending Russia? Frankly I've no idea whether you are or not.

What you seem to believe is that Russia has some type of valid hold over Ukraine as it dares to look towards EU membership and where there are some cultural and historical ties - then Ukraines sovereignty is somehow negotiable. Both ideas variously touted by Putin oddly enough.

As for the EU and membership. Ukraine's desire to join the European Union dates back to 1993 when the government declared that integration to the EU is the main foreign policy objective.

The political dialogue between the EU and Ukraine started shortly afterwards when the partnership and Cooperation Agreement was signed

According to a poll conducted in February 2015 in all regions of Ukraine except Crimea, 66.4% would have voted in favor of joining the EU and 33.6% against with a turnout of 76.4%.

Ukraine has shared borders with four EU member state: Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Romania - all with cultural and historical ties to Ukraine

As for a EU membership referendum, afaik they hadn't got to that stage yet. However Putins most recent tantrum has now catapulted EU membership to a much a greater possibility, that is presuming that Putin doesn't succeed in going full metal jacket as part of his latest tantrum.

May I ask where was the referendum which asked the opinion of the people of Ukraine on the invasion of the Russian "peacekeeping" forces?

I think that Belarus nuke thing could be used as an excuse by NATO to end Belarus, would ruin the Russia invasion as they are going from the North on Kyiv.

but obviously huge huge HUGELY risky..but appeasement doesnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah because a fictious brawl on the street is akin to all out nuclear world war that will affect billions.

You got me. Totally the same.

Can you tell me what the alternative endgame for this is? Because I struggle to see how it ends in a Ukrainian "win", or anything close.

A fast tracked EU membership and Ukraine ceding half their territory is hardly in their interest either - unfortunately the Ukrainians are no longer really in a position to pursue their interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The massive extent of it, especially the exclusion from SWIFT would have taken them aback. You'd also expect that there are preparations underway to address their only non-nuclear threat of cutting off energy supplies. Without income from that source Russia is economically destitute. And it's not stolen, it's resting just out of reach for now! If they stop this adventure it all goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

But a bond is a loan. Why should Russia have to take out loans when it had a **** load of money in a bank saved up. Because basically money they had access to has been frozen or basically taken from them.

If I had 100k in a bank and then suddenly it was wiped. You would hardly say it is ok because you can borrow a 100k from this bank and pay it back with interest over this term. Your savings have been wiped.

China won't give russia any sympathy. If China is doing deals with Russia is because it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

To answer your whatabout: Turkey has had their application stalled for many reasons, not least severe democratic backsliding from Erdogan. Ukraine is moving in the opposite direction, rooting out corruption and reinforcing democratic institutions with transparency. The direction of travel with Ukraine is clear, and it's obvious. It has its problems which nobody in the EU is oblivious to, but it has come an awful long way since 2014 with regard to corruption, which is problematic for a particular shortar*se in Moscow.

As for Belarus: Have a good think why Belarus isn't a candidate country.

I posted the link?

Corruption index. Ukraine just 3 points above Russia. Even Belarus is less corrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

He may not have been a lunatic during his rise to power or afterwards, but he is certainly acting like one now. This might be all Nixon's "mad man" theory, of course, or just a dramatic miscalculation on Putin's part; but it cannot be denied that he has made a huge mistake.

No doubt Putin has made some very clever moves in the past, particularly with regard to information warfare, but it is time to stop thinking of him as some sort of all-knowing genius.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement