Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Forbidden West (Horizon Zero Dawn Sequel) PS5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

oh my god, getting up off the ground is ridiculous :) The number of times I died from three shots because I was getting up off the ground and couldn't move :)

On a note about the upgrades, you can buy lots of parts from vendors. Especially the scrap merchants. If you do those annoying fetch quests they have decent parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it only became a minor issue towards the end, I needed a goose feather for an upgrade. Just created a job for it and fast traveled to where it marked it on the map. Defeated machines that were there and kept scanning around for geese, three geese only had meat, couldn't find geese, moved out of the area, enemy machines respawned when I came back.... Just felt like an unnecessary pain.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm 5 or 6 hours in, just got to Plainsong. At what stage should I start buying armor and weapons etc? I haven't bothered buying anything yet?

I'd say if you can, just try to make sure you have different ammo types across your weapons. So a bow with acid and freeze would be worth buying if you don't have any. Likewise Shock is a good one to have as it'll always affect most enemies. I wouldn't go too nuts though until you start finding vendors with purple weapons.

Is there a story mission that gives you fire ammo? I only have acid and normal ammo so far, with the freeze sling shot thing.

• Advertisement

Can't fully remember. I think if you can find one to buy, buy it. I never really compared stats of weapons or anything, just focused on trying to get different types of ammo, so even if you do get a different/better fire hunter bow in a quest later, it'll still have been worth buying one before if you can. From what I remember I definitely bought bows that had tear ammo-types without waiting to get one in a quest. But different ammo types only become available as you advance in the game, so if they're not for sale at Plainsong, they might be available at the next settlement you go to.

In the Quests page of the menu, quest rewards should be noted at the side, so it's always worth picking up side quests even if you don't plan on doing them immediately, then you can check the rewards and see if they're worth doing. Though be warned some side quests have multiple parts and you might not get the reward until the full chain is completed, and some weapon names might not make it clear what element it is (so for example I have a Frost Hunter Bow so it shoots freeze arrows, but it also fires Acid arrows, or some weapons from quests might just be called 'Characters Sharpshot Bow').

Also, you can sell almost all resources where it says their use is just "Selling for metal shards". It means they have no upgrade usage or required for buying items or any other purpose. So pretty much everything in the top section of your resources it's worth just selling whenever you can. You'll almost never be short of metal shards if you sell them regularly and loot as many blue+ loot chests/safes that you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not sure how far im in but i've made it to the coast an im loving it. No idea how long i've left to play and thats a great feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Did the first tall neck and cauldron last night. The cauldron looked absolutely jaw dropping but towards the end of it the camera got a bit arsey and i ended up with an unnecessary death or two. Thoroughly enjoying it, just rambling around doing side quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I do like doing the Relic Ruins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

You're safe only really selling anything there that has Ancient or Ingot in the name a lot of the others are used as currency for higher end components and gear the more you progress.

They are great puzzle sections. Really enjoy doing one before bed. Kinda like my wordle 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Im only level 15 currently but managed to take down a level 30 Thunderjaw last night, albeit by cheating a bit. Tip below as doing so gives some excellent loot at this early stage.

At the No Mans Land drone site there is a Thunderjaw there. You are very close to a rebel camp so if you can get the TJ to follow you, you can enter a low opening in the camp wall that it cannot get through but you can hit it once you stay out of the line of fire of his laserbeams.

I cheesed that one early on aswell but from the Rock outcrop it circles :).

BTW if you're nearing the end of the game and kind've into grind mode on some of the more exotic upgrades for Legendaries you can also basically force the game back to HZ-D's loot system (where if any key component wasn't shot off it's in the main carcass loot pool and not destroyed). Just set your difficulty to custom and change the loot setting to Easy Loot Mode. Now don't judge :), I've 60+ hours into this now and nearing the last few missions I want to spend some time upgrading my legendaries that require components from enemies that are very rare, so missing a component or 2 has a time costs for respawn. I don't need to do this as my character is OP now already, it's more curiosity on how high they can really go. I could also grind this out by passing time at Huts and waiting for those respawns but that's just a time-suck imho and gains/proves nothing either. I would absolutely not recommend doing this earlier as that tactical component side is a lot of fun in itself, just eventually not for end-game grind.

Finished it tonight. Around the 50 hour mark. Stunning game from start to finish, enjoyed every bit of it.

Although I felt like I could have put in another 20 hours happily, but once I was on the final path I just had to keep going. Too many other games to start playing to linger much longer.

Slightly let down by the end boss. You are just too slow dodging and getting up off the ground that it was more frustrating than challenging.

But those end credits. 😍

Maybe it's just me, but one thing that's bugging me is that quests are poor at introducing you to new elemental weapons. I keep having to google where to get particular weapon types early-ish in the game. I still haven't got a shock bow.

I'm level 16 now, just progressed through The Base to the west of the map after beating the first cauldron.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I think the biggest problem this one had is it's gear system. There was too much overlap between different weapons to where it felt like my wheel/ammo-choice was overloaded and half of it was redundant. I preferred the simpler original where yes there were different sub-types of weapons but with little overlap and for the most part they had unique properties that didn't require having 4 different bows, half of which have fire arrows etc. If each weapon had unique singular effects fair enough but with most here having 3 the standard RPG gear diversity just didn't fit well. Near the end it was so easy to select the wrong ammo type mid fight.

Overall I loved it but:

I also thought the final story mission felt rushed. Besides the battles themselves which were meh the mid mission cut-scene should have been and oh so nearly was epic but was put together badly. Aloy is hiding behind rocks, sentinels are viewed as running down a far plateau and not at you, so you as the player feel disconnected from it all, no sense of urgency also no great sense of relief when the legacy machines appear. The scripted scene itself is weak, there are 2 instances showing a Slaughterspine shooting it's throat laser just at the ground ffs. It made me think of a drunk lout yelling 'come at me' at the ground.

Edit: I shouldn't try to cram in a post mid-meeting, apparently I lose the ability to speak English...

Post edited by _CreeD_ on

I found that weapon upgrading was a bit lacking. They have lots of variations in what they shoot, but I never maxed out any purples.

I also didn't really feel the need to mix them up much. Once I had acid, plasma and tear on the go mixed in with a bomb tosser thing you could pretty much take down anything.

I think I kept the same outfit for most of it too. They could have made outfits for different regions. You go from forest to desert to snow and wear the same thing.

Tear damage is just the normal bow, right?

Having to look up a guide to figure where to get the different weapon types bugs me tbh. The game should have obvious quests that will give you a green bow of each elemental type.

• Advertisement

Tear is one of the aspects. It's good for knocking off parts. You can also get a precision tear arrow that has a gas canister that explodes a second after impact to really tear off parts and armour.

My go-to's for this one were Ice, Acid, Tear-Blast and then plain old advanced hunter arrows. The Damage buff for attacks against brittle/frozen enemies was much larger than HZD I think and fire which had been my go to there much weaker this time around. You get an excellent legendary elemental hunter bow for completing all 6 Rebel camps which is not hard to do once you've opened up the map areas.

Tear ammo creates a shockwave when it hits enemies, and makes it more likely to remove machines armour plates or components. So it doesn't do damage itself, but can create good opportunities to do so.

It means if you need a particular component, you can hit it with tear ammo to knock it off the enemy. Or it's very useful for hitting machines guns/weapons and knock them off, meaning the machine can't use it, and you can pick up the weapon yourself and use it against the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

If people are getting stuck trying to get certain components off machines, if you set difficulty to custom, you can turn on Easy Loot. This will allow you to get all components off the machine once it's killed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Picked this up a few days ago abs I'm loving it. Did a quick recap of the first game and delighted I did, because I had completely forgot about the spire!

Visually stunning game. Its not perfect, but I have to give a special mention to the facial animations, and character interactions in general. I find myself actually watching them act, and not distracted by the subs which usually happens. The wooden interactions of most games are put to shame here imo. While still simple the subtle movements, eyes, facial expressions... its just so brilliantly done. Its still just 2 or more people talking, but feels far more natural than anything else in a long time.

Only just Into the West, so still early days but it's massive! Look forward to experiencing all the different areas. Combat is good too, I'm going a melee route initially. Lots of options, and I like that you get skill points from side quests, makes them worth doing vs ocd compulsion!

Machines look excellent, and I like that there's more of an emphasis to deconstruct the machines. Haven't spoiled anything, so I've no idea what I have yet to encounter. Hudt encountered Glidewings.

Far more impressed by the few hours in this so far, vs Elden Ring. For me, Horizon is far better visually, story wise, combat and entertainment wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Niska

Finished this a couple weeks back and revisited a few times to scratch an itch.

A good game bordering great. Enjoyed the story, even though I think it was trying to juggle too many subplots at once in places - though gut punch this time (as compared to last when I relaised what Zero Dawn actually was). The themes (you don't need t do everything yourself and nature vs nurture) are handled well if not exactly subtle.

Combat is great, though like most games with a large arsenal I tended to stick to a small group (bows and bomb launchers). melee is still a bit underwhelming, the added combos add a bit, but never has the same satisfaction as archery.

Exploration is a joy and the world is beautiful and begging to be explored.

Some extra quality of life options would be nice - auto looting and a verbose / laconic toggle for Aloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

I was thinking the same in relation to verbosity. I could be wrong but it feels like there is a lot more hand holding the player in this game compared to HZD. The relic ruins for example, are meant to be puzzles but Aloy pretty much gives the solution away by talking to herself a short time after entering one, so it does ruin(no pun intended) the excitement of solving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeaaahhhhhhhhhh so between mister robinsons comments, the honest trailer and this and zero punctuation review below I am going to give this a wide berth until its on the cheap or nothing to be playing. Another exclusive that while looks gorgeous really does nothing else is what my PS5 experience has been so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think this is a fair review. I thought the story ran out of steam and got a bit naff. Probably should have done more side quests and turned it up to hard. I remember struggling at times on normal in the first game but this a bit easier.

I think an issue is that I could just about believe in the sticks and stones breaking machines in the first one but it's starting to push the bounds with the enemies introduced in this.

Still really enjoyed it and there are some great themes explored again. Would have liked a couple more bigger settlements like the first game and the world felt more empty due to the lack of them.

Advertisement