Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

People should be reminded that an AC Coupled battery inverter (Sofar ME3000 / Tesla Powerwall) is a good if not better option than a Hybrid Inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭spose

Anyone selling the sofar direct in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Thats a win, the water diverter is very easy on a DIY fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Like Maulbrook - that's a win.

If however you have a solar hot water already, then you more than likely have hot water on Sunny days - so the Eddi will probably be a waste of time. I'd drop that save yourself €500 and put that towards a bigger battery. 8kwhr or there abouts. Might increase your overall by €800 or so (maybe slightly more), but I think that's money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

This thread is excellent. I started out last week knowing very little about solar PV costs and thanks to the info in this thread and some PMs from well known contributors, I now feel I have a reasonable grasp on what I need.

Here are the quotes I got:

I'm probably going to go with company D as they are doing other works on the house so it makes sense to use them.

I'm not going to get a battery as I have an EV and will be getting a heat pump also so I don't reckon I'll have many spare electrons - except maybe during the summer. I know the battery is useful to use for topping up on night rate but I think I'd rather spend any extra on panels than a battery.

I'll probably get an EDDI, although I doubt it'll ever pay for itself.

• Advertisement

Good quote that "D" to be fair and your right to max out the panels on the roof within reason.

However if it was me, I'd would drop the Eddi and take that €500 and put it towards even a small battery (2.5Kwhr). It really does improve your overall payback time for your entire system, but can appreciate the extra cost. One thing that you should think through is if you don't get a battery now, you may be getting a non-hybrid inverter meaning you are ruling yourself out of getting a battery down the road without changing your inverter to a hybrid one, or going the seperate route of a Sofar me3000.....so you'll be closing off the road for (easy) upgrade. You can always add another battery and increase capacity later on, as is installing a Eddi yourself (you don't need a spark's as long as you can wire a plug)

With a battery you have options. You can power your xbox, watch tv or heat the oven from the energy in a battery, and of course including heating the immersion itself (manually) from the battery, but you can't do much with the energy in hot water other than use hot water.

Nothing wrong with not getting a battery of course, I just want you to be aware of it should it avoid the "Ohh I wish I'd known that back in the day" :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 superemote

Hi folks,

I've been looking into pv panels and got some quotes that all seem higher than what's on here. Could someone please pm me a few of the better installers

Thanks for all the info here everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Yes, the question of a battery or not has been difficult to decide.

I probably will get a hybrid inverter just in case I decide to get a battery in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smeggycat

appreciate if anyone can DM a few recommendations for quotes, Limerick area or nationwide installers

also, possibly stupid question, if battery installed can household run from that during power cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Hi folks

This time last year I got some quotes for domestic solar and got some excellent and helpful feedback from you guys. I didn't go ahead with it at the time as I had other priorities. I am keen to get solar installed sooner rather than later. However, given that costs in general seem to be only going in one direction at present, I am just wondering if solar costs have also gone crazily high the past year or so? Is there longer delays in getting the work done? Is the general consensus still that batteries don't make much sense to standard homes? Any other notable issues/changes etc since I checked into this sector a year ago?

Many thanks!

• Advertisement

Prices have gone up, but not crazy high. Maybe 10-15% over this time last year. Partly due to just the general state of the market along with supply issues from China etc and semiconductor shortages, and of course more recently the removal of the battery grant, but things still have a very positive return on investment.

Not sure the general consensus was that batteries "don't make much sense in a standard home". I've always maintained that batteries are a good thing to the point that not having one reduces your overall payback time. The battery landscape this time last year was that we were being regaled with promises about an excellent FIT (Feed-In-Tariff).....which of course hasn't so far materialized. If they did some form of "net metering" then yes, batteries would be of questionable value, but as of today when the FIT does eventually poke it's head out from the quagmire, I suspect it will be meager at best.

No batteries are definitely on the positive thing. That said, you do need to be careful that you correctly size your battery to your needs as well as making sure that you don't pay outrageously for one as your payback timeline will be long otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Philomc

Hi all, Ive been following this thread for some time and have to say its full of great info help and tips. So here is what I have to work with.

I have a large roof, its at 45* pitch and is south facing. I would guesstimate i have room for between 15-20 panels. We already have 2 (old now) panels that heat our water. We do not have an EV at the moment as range just isn’t where I need it to be for my needs……(I do approx 50K a year but lots of long journeys leaving with considerable range anxiety) Obviously I will however future proof the install to accommodate a future EV purchase and defo want a battery on install with option to expand/upgrade.

What do you guys think I should be looking to install? I see a lot of chatter about a provider from enniskillen are these guys the current value/quality option?

Thanks all and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Philip

Hey folks , this is a quote I got and I think it's on the expensive end

Battery System (Alpha)

4.99kWp of modules kitted to 5.7kWh battery storage

7 x Bisol Premium 445w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)* East

5 x Bisol Premium 375w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)* West

Bisol Mounting system on a Ground mount

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Alpha 5kWp Inverter kitted to 5.7 storage capacity

Costing

€11,800 (inclusive of VAT)

€ 550 Eddie

€ 200 Warranty extension

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€10,150 Final cost after grant incentive

Not outrageous. I'd have pegged that (ballpark) in about €8,800-€8,900......so it's probably over the odds, but not mental. The part that I don't know is that your a ground mount. I don't know what effort (if any) and materials that go into a ground mount over the more traditional roof mounted quotes that we deal with. For example is the supplier digging 2-3ft holes to fill in with cement, etc. These type of things aren't stuff that people normally get quoted on and is a little "site specific".

I'd go back and haggle a bit, if you could get down to €9500 and it was my money, I'd probably pull the trigger. But do check a few suppliers. Really, you can't beat 20-30 mins on the phone to a few suppliers. (look in the performance spreadsheet for some names)

Great thanks

Its roof mounted by the way. Where can I see the performance spreadsheet, thanks for the help. This thread has been great since I found it yesterday

Ahh ok, this comment in your quote lead me astray.

Bisol Mounting system on a Ground mount

Like many things, the answer to your question about where to locate the spreadsheet is in the "sticky" (1st thread at the top)

Renewable Energies — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Hi ALL

This quote is roof mounted , no battery, what do you think

Jinko Solar Co., Ltd.

4.05 kW Total Solar Power

10 x 405 Watt Panels

2,817 kWh per year

Eco-Smart Energy Diverter

3.68 kW eco-smart energy diverter

Inverter

Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

4 kW Total Inverter Rating

1 x SUN2000-4KTL-L1

€6400 after grant, no ber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Finally getting quotes in. I can't avail of a grant. Thoughts on this one?

8x JA Solar 375w panels (in additional to existing 4x 375w panels) - total 4.5kW

5kW hybrid inverter

5.2kWh LFP Battery

Total €9,847 excluding grant

That's a no from me. too much. It can be bettered.

Post edited by MAULBROOK on

• Advertisement

Can't send you anything as its blocked for private messages, send me a message and I will send you some info back.

Out of curiosity.....why can't you avail of a grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WolfSpinach

Could anybody pm me a recommendation for Dublin? I have a quote of €8600 for 10 panels (3.35kWp), no battery and reading this thread that seems exorbitant. Do the Enniskillen lads serve this side of the world?

Fair enough. Just making sure that you were working off the new guidelines and not the "house built before 2011" one!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Trigger85

Hi All

Jumping on board the solar bandwagon. We had a lad out today to give us a quote. It was more like a marketing pitch rather than anything else. He was charging us €15,775 on 3kw (extra battery).

I asked what happens if there is a power outage in the area - would we still be connected to the solar for electricity and if we would have hot water all year round. He wasn't sure but he was shocked when we didn't sign up there and then.

I'm based near Naas if anyone can give us any decent recommendations.

Cheers

That sounds like a good quote. Could you pm me the installer..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

For anyone thinking of installing circa 3kWp, your best option is possibly Solar as a Service (SaaS) for €3600 net. You could then buy it out, or add a battery via a separate Storage Inverter (which doesn't even need to be installed in the same place)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Solar install brought forward by a month..🙂🙂 yippee

It's like 🎄🎄 all over again

This friday 🤞🤞 its starts

Keep you posted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement