Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Putin literally pretends to be religious to garner support. If you were actually here you're probably picking up on decades of religious suppression or hanging out in the type of places where these religious people are not going to be. I haven't been there though so just going off what I've heard over the years.

I think the story had a great positive effect on gaining international sympathy and also patriotism from ordinary Ukrainians - and that’s what happens in war. So well done Ukraine-you’re using your head as well as your weapons- lord knows you need to use everything you can.

As for us believing it or otherwise- I don’t care- all information should be treated as suspect coming from a war zone- there’s no NATO there who would have their own camera and could share footage from day to day where they saw fit or where it suited them- and journalists are limited as to where they can go- so we’re reliant on not very reliable information -I still think it’s a great story, true or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Well the point of its posts seems to be to push whatever the appropriate Russian narrative is today.

Initially that narrative was there will be no invasion whatsoever. Russia is naturally very very very scared of NATO the Warmonger and just wants a few promises. It can move it's peace loving troops about on its own territory and that of its allies as it sees fit to protect itself from Nasty NATO and the Nazi Ukraine.

Then, okay we can't really deny the invasion any more as it is happening (!), can't credibly blame NATO for a Russian war of choice, so it moved onto a textbook demoralisation effort - which is where timmy is at right now.

A few days ago there would be no sanctions, or no meaningful ones anyway from Europe.

Why would you ordinary joe poster on here encourage such sanctions? Better just go back to sleep. They won't work. Don't you fools know this will cost you dear?

Now there will be sanctions it seems, and Western (Irish) public opinion seems likely to back that too so the message is just becoming these won't work, and good old Chairman Xi will ride in on a white charger and bust up any of these unfair Western sanctions for his friend in the Kremlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah but you have gone out of your way to try hammer information specifically favourable to Ukraine.

Also even if the guys on the island were captured it doesn't take away from the fact that they were incredibly ballsy to tell a much larger force to go fook themselves.

Ukraine is out manned, outgunned, basically surrounded on two sides against an enemy that has one of the largest arsenals of nuclear weapons, being run by a despot threatening armagedon.

It is fooking David versus Goliath.

And you are the lad pi**ing on David's sling.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

I'm claiming nothing at all but facts are fact there is a nazi unit in the Ukrainian National Guard. What has their President done about that? I'm not aware of anything. I am aware he is of Jewish descent. Even more reason why he should act on Azov. Why isn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because they, their families and untold millions of their countrymen would end up dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Russia has closed its airspace to 36 countries, Russian state news agency Tass reports. Among those countries barred from using Russian airspace are the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Maybe, but plenty of anti-Western and jaded Putinbots looking for any scraps to haggle over.

Difficult to get proper information in any war, take everything with a pinch of salt. We're building a rough picture here. It's natural to support the Ukrainians in this situation and understand they will produce propaganda and inflate any successes, it's critical for their morale, which is pretty much the only thing holding them together right now. Celebrating that something didn't turn out to be fully true is a bit bizarre given the context, and smacks of someone wearing a mask of objectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Will be closed a long time one would fear. Will play havoc with Europe's connections to Asia. We'll all live, but the world is changing folks.

• Advertisement

Do you think the Generals and Putin who are carrying out this invasion of Ukraine care about human suffering for one second?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The USSR tried to sideline the orthodox church but never managed to fully rid them from public life. Not for lack of trying though. When the Great Patriotic War came about Stalin relied on the support of the church and they've kept their position since. The people themselves remained very religious the entire time, increasingly so as you left the major cities and moved out into the villages scattered all over the place.

Kharkov under massed rocket fire. Videos of residential areas being hit indiscrimately. Videos of dead and dying people on the streets, scattered food and water about them.

The government need to expel all russian diplomats now, and start cancelling visas of russian citizens immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Reports the Wagner mercenaries are in country ready for the order to take out the president, the Klitschko brothers etc. Talks are nothing, just a sham on putins instruction....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I do wonder what country you live in or the selective viewpoint that informs things, but present day Ireland is significantly less religous than present day Russia. The Orthodox church is growing in Russia and has been for decades, over the same period in Ireland the Catholic church's influence and attendence has fallen off a very high cliff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I suspect they care about their own.

It is called Mutually Assured Destruction for a reason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But what do they care about then? What greater good would be served by unleashing hell on the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Just seen a map of where Russian forces are in Ukraine. It's not looking good and looks like it won't be long before the entire Country is under Russian control. It looks like the West's coverage isn't exactly accurate. This map is from RTE/Institute for Study of War.

• Advertisement

If they've nothing to lose but have the opportunity to destroy those who they believe have wrecked Russia (Nato/EU), I don't see why not.

They're clearly psychopaths, too.

And yes, maybe they are mad enough to sacrifice their own families to achieve "the greater good", in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Most wars prior to 1914 ended in a compromise peace. Eventually all sides could agree to something, stop fighting and then the sanctions would be unwound. My guess is Russia will get to hold onto some Eastern regions but not Kiev (if they can even take it)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Russia and Ukraine between them produce more grain than the US and EU combined and most is exported east and south to Asia and Africa, add to that the sanctions, drought in most of north Africa, and Russia and China banning fertilizers exports means a huge shortfall.

China will be fine as they'll get their share, but there's going to be problems elsewhere. One of the big drivers for the Arab spring was grain shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Thanks to whoever posted that triggernometry interview. 2 minutes in and he captured something that I was thinking about. In the west all we value is living standards and a good quality of life where we can live out our dreams and pursue our interests. This is a noble goal and a fine and fair one to have as a society. However, it's not the only one and it doesn't come without its drawbacks. We are trying to understand the mindset of a once great empire who now plays second fiddle to other powers. There's no real reason for them to just stay in their lane if so much of their national consciousness centres around what they lost and their destiny to be a world leader. Brexit is a good example of this from a western pov where we try to understand a decision based around GDP and not off the idea of greatness and feelings of nostalgia of a better time when their country was powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Kharkiv is an almost entirely Russian-speaking city with a very large ethnic Russian population. Some "de-Nazification" and protecting of Russian speakers rights going on there. The videos are appalling, indiscriminate bombing.

Anyone who is offering up a defence of, or an equivocation for Putin is going to look like an absolute scumbag after this war is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Good.

"Van with captions "People, wake up!" "This is war" "Putin is a scum!" crashed into the fence at Puhkinskaya square in Moscow and caught fire"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

At first I thought that severe sanctions were the way to go, but I am just thinking now that maybe it won't have the effect on the ordinary Russian that we think it will have, they will start to see the west as making life harder for them and it could start to galvanise people against the west even some who were sympathetic to the Ukraine,

After all they cannot really do anything about it unless they protest in huge numbers and even then it's not guaranteed to have any effect,

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

• Advertisement

We'll take some economic pain in the EU, but we'll all live. This needs to be faced down full-on by our institutions and we need the citizens of Europe on board with it. Beyond a few sad act apologists, I believe the vast majority of Europeans know it has to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement