Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Car rental

• 28-02-2022 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Family members home from Australia for 3 months this summer. Hoping to rent a car. Anyone know best value company to ho with? Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Be cheaper to buy something. Car hire prices for 3 months will be a couple of grand. Car hire prices are sky high due to the shortage of cars at the moment

prices are high especially at st. pat's and easter and may holiday.

banger for duration of stay or if you can swing named driver on an insured car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭markpb

Best to get a family member to insure it and add them as a named driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i see ZU advertised alot lately, don't know how good they are though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the family member already has a policy on an existing car then they cannot move their NCB on a different car with a new policy. You can only use your NCB on one policy so they would be starting from 0 on the new car which means insurance won't be cheap.

I don't think buying a car for 3 months makes much sense either as used car prices are very high lately, not much in the way of a bargain even in the lower price ranges. Anything half decent with a bit of NCT left are fetching well over a grand these days. It then may need tax on it as well as insurance companies not really wanting to insure any car over a certain age. The only things going for less than 1k these days tends to be cars with expired NCT or pure junk ready for the scrap yard. The cost of rental might not be much dearer when all those are factored in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭shane b

Hiring a car for 3 months is going to be quite costly!

I recently had to hire a car for 2 weeks as my own was being repaired. I went with Europcar, who i found good to deal with. Price wise it worked out at 55 euro per day for a VW Polo/Renault Clio size car. That include a 20 euro daily charge for accidental damage insurance which is a bit of a sting in the tail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

LeasePlan might be willing to lease you a used car for 3-6months. Their used cars are listed under CarNext.com and would be available at short notice. It could be worth a call/email to inquire. Hertz used cars might also have a similar potential 3 - 6 month lease on a used car.

Might also be worth checking with family/friends who have two cars but aren't actually using them as they are working from home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Are you in a city?

If so, maybe a car club would work, if they only need a car occasionally while here. I'm a member of Go Car and I really rate them. Just checked, and can't see anything saying visitors couldn't join but you'd need to check. I know they're not the only one either

Their coverage is pretty decent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Unless you are on expenses or only renting for a few days never use the hire companies excess insurance. You can get annual cover for €50.

• Advertisement

Car rental prices have pretty much doubled in the last 2 years.

Best trying the online and /or ringing all these

https://www.google.com/search?q=long+term+car+rental+ireland&oq=long+term+car+ren&aqs=chrome.3.0i457i512j69i57j0i402l2j0i512l6.6360j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Be better off get a taxi or bus at car hire rates these days or hiring someone to drive you for a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Rent an ebike and buy rain gear....😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Question similar.... coming home in July for a few weeks. My usual cost for car rental was around 5K for the duration of the stay. That has now been put at 20K this year. Not paying 20K for a car rental...

Brother has a car, will not be in the country. What options for driving that car have I? US drivers license, can insure the vehicle with my insurer here, but will not have the Irish equivalent of insurance cert.... ??

Any options available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Long-termer prices are probably more like 5x 2019 levels. Absolute insanity, but the firms don't have the fleets to meet demand.

Is this thread still in bargain alerts???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Thanks op I'll buy 2 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ewiz9

check Ryanair, they have the best prices for short term (days to weeks) rentals. have cheaper insurance as well. not sure abt 3 month.

Advertisement