Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Germany to build LNG terminals an move away from energy reliance on Russia....Olaf Sholtz

Logistic constraints will see a greater push for fossil fuel harvesting at home.

A review to the green deal aspiration now eminent.

180 degree turn in German policy...on many fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

And when will the people here realize the bullshit they have been fed by this government pandering to the greens just to hang on in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

This is a laugh, the Germans can build LNG terminals but our government is blocking the same terminals being built on the Shannon estuary. The stupid pricks in Government should have Moneypoint and Tarbart power stations converted to Gas years ago.

I'm all for Green renewable energies but we are still dependant on fossil fuels and have no choice in the matter. The greens are doing more harm to the Environment than any other party ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

And that covers where there are alternatives. Agriculture/construction/haulage have no alternative to diesel. And these are being penalised like the yuppy in the city with a car when they should have an EV (or bike). It's the stick approach, but the stick is just a beating and you can't make it stop by doing something else.

So buildings are a source now too. We should cull the buildings :-)

“I want every country within the EU to put in place minimum energy performance standards. These can help ensure that householders are protected from high energy costs and price shocks.”

Good man Mr. Green clown. How is that working out for all the insulated homes now 100% dependent on electricity? Electricity never has price shocks does it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Unfortunately it's much much worse than that.

Just a couple of weeks ago the green party welcomed the move to introduce legislation to ban licences for all new natural gas exploration in Ireland and its territorial waters.

https://www.greenparty.ie/green-party-welcomes-immediate-ban-on-new-oil-and-natural-gas-exploration/

Meanwhile in Norway

https://www.offshore-energy.biz/norway-offers-offshore-licences-to-28-oil-gas-firms-amid-great-interest/

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The worlds attention is elsewhere right now, no question about that.

But the fact remains that something needs to be done.

It's depressing to see threads on here focused at undermining the only political party in the country which is trying to draw attention to the reality just so that people can abdicate themselves from any responsibility or change with the excuse that they or Ireland are insignificant in the bigger scheme of things.

The threads aren't undermining a party, who are only in power a short while and have a sketchy track record on "good for the environment" from previous government spells (CO2 tax on cars for example). FF/FG are the main ones and they are no better/worse than the greens for climate related issues. Reason being is the lobby group is the same regardless of the politician.

Remember though, this is a farming forum. Farmers are going to be the ones to carry the can here for a lot of the issues. They are the only ones that can store carbon and can be carbon neutral. Every other industry is dependent on them. Yet the talk is that the carbon stored in land will be sold without the farmer benefitting, yet they must change their ways of working to increase that carbon.

There's no undermining here, but there is frustration that there is no joined up thinking and just a load of farmer bashing

I'm wondering who your green clown reference is to? Someone who is a member of the green party? Someone who has voted for green party candidates?

Neither of those apply to me so 🤷‍♂️

Some seem to struggle with the fact that while every Green Party member is focused on environmental issues, not everyone who is focused on environmental issues is a Green Party member.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Tbh the show is fcuked for a number of reasons. Everyone has a job to do but the problem with the current crowd is attempting to stop the the problem without having realistic solutions to the problem. Solutions which will have alternatives in place before price hikes etc, solutions which may not be perfect but have to be part of the equation, such as nuclear etc

• Advertisement

In this case, Mr. Green Clown is Ciarán Cuffe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is no reasonable way that Cuffe can be labelled a clown. He has been a public representative for a long time, and just because you have a different view does not make him a clown, but perhaps you might reflect on yourself.

I am not a member of any political party, now or ever, and I am not a farmer although I do know many. However, I do accept climate change and the need for immediate action at every level.

What farmers should be looking at is re-seeding their pastures with mixed sward to increase their use of clover to reduce their need for added nitrogen - a lot of work has gone into this and not only is it good for the climate, it is also a money saver for the farmer. The use of monoculture rye grass has many disadvantages - particularly its poor performance in drought conditions because of its shallow root structure.

They should also pay attention on the soil health and reduce the level of compaction caused by the use of very heavy high powered tractors. This causes high run off of rain, and poor growth of crops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I agree with replacing ryegrass however multi species is fairly new, early signs are good but it’s unknown how long they last.

A study a few years ago showed a 500kg cow can cause more compaction than a 200HP tractor

Thanks for the lecture, and I respectfully disagree. My clown comment is in respect to his assumptions that moving from fossil fuels will alleviate price shocks, all the while ignoring you need electricity as a replacement, which right now is sky rocketing in price. Therefor, the price hike comment is that of a clown. I'm sure I agree with some of his opinions. The 2 I know about I disagree with (this one and his writing to banks to stop lending to farmers).

I don't need to be lectured on soil management. I run a successful enterprise with little chemical fertiliser. Clover, although good, is not worth a damn at this time of year, or indeed for another couple of months. MSS is a new adventure, lets see how it goes. Hopefully it is of benefit.

Tyre choice and pressure means more to soil compaction than size of machine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Your going to get your wish re your preferred ideological method of farming on a scale you'd never of imagined this year , I sincerely hope your 100% correct in your fairyland scenario, but don't be surprised next winter/spring when the wheels come of world food supply on the back of putins war games, you'll be roaring for farmers to up their production and decrying food inflation and shortages, and you'll probably still be rambling on about mss, regenerative agriculture and how only if the fertilizer addicted farmers had changed their ways things would of been different....

In all honesty going forward, the short, sharp, shock that is going to occur with food inflation and shortages will rattle 1st world governments to such a extent, you'll see food production in the EU been linked back to coupled payments to encourage supply

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The same man had shares in numerous oil companies while being the green enviro spokesman.

My comment above wasnt just re ireland, but Europe. Countries with functioning nuclear plants shutting them down, daft. EU have so many talking heads they have lost sight of realisim

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thats a big fail - Nuclear power is already coming in here via interconnectors and alot more will be coming in when that major new one to France gets built down in Cork. The EU is finally starting to smell the coffee on Nuclear and Gas supplies in recent months and the crisis in Ukraine will only accelerate that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Current food inflation is being fed by the high input intensive model. No chance of payments being recoupled as it is now against WTO rules and makes zero sense in terms of where farming/food production needs to go for farmer margins,waste, sustainability etc. Look at the sad state of the pig/poultry industry, as someone said on another thread, farmers decrying the end of the "cheap food policy" are a special type of stupid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

There's so many things wrong with the way the green agenda is being implemented.....

Farmers appear to be the low hanging fruit while sacred cows graze peacefully elsewhere.....

How many of the casual eco warriors will give up the flights, pay what they should for food, stop ordering massive quantities of tat on amazon, stop the waste ofelectricity on lighting up their place like singapore, realise that the if everyone pursued their suggested diet the place would be poisoned with chemicals in order to meet yield requirements and if it wasnt even larger areas would be ploughed ,poison everything green in sight on their own doorstep in pursuit of tidiness etc etc etc

The ignorance and/or hypocrisy can be stunning.

My message would be simple, pay for it, don't ask me to pay for while I slave away producing food for you and get treated with disrespect into the bargain. If you can pay for entertainment and plastic nik naks of questionable value then pay a fair rate for your food....if you want to campaign for something campaign firstly for the multiples to pass back a fair share of the profits they gain by squeezing the primary producer year on year so farmers can afford to cut production. Campaign for all the meddling to stop so producing in an environmentally friendly way is sustainable beyond a possible medium term blip brought about by high input prices....actually have a brain and engage in some joined up thinking ....this might have two benefits, it might stand a chance of working and you wouldn't be nailing the people that produce your food be it meat or vegetable to the floor while ignoring all the other just as significant if not more significant contributory factors.

I've seen some of the most passionate junior eco warriors locally not even able to pick up the litter they leave after them on the greenway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Food Vision 2030 is dead in the water when you take account the current state of play in Eastern Europe, even the most risk adverse farmers be it beef/dairy etc the economics of it with where feed and fertiliser prices could soar to, will lead to herd numbers been slashed and a much more organic low input type of farming, adopted out of necessity rather then wanting to save the planet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Maybe Ireland should become a 100% organic country. It might be the only way to move forward.

Greenhouse gas emissions need to reduce by 80% and farmers want to get more money.

And nobody wants to pay extra to Irish farmers when they tear down 10,000 kilometres of hedgerows every year.

Lower herd numbers and higher prices seem to be the only way.

Plus we depend too much on imported animal feed which only results in rain forest destruction and puts money in the pockets of the Putins of the world.

Not that many years ago we were all organic. And the price of food matched the inputs and you could raise a family on a small landholding. And many people were self sufficient, although they were poor. We can easily all go organic, and easily reduce imports. What are you willing to pay for that?

And that hedgegrow one! Ha. How many kms are re-sown? Tree cover is increasing and it's not increasing in urban areas, but on farmland.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

funny how many "experts "come on here lecturing farmers who have no involvement in it. would you ever hear a teacher telling a plumber how to fix a tap? we don't need you constant tat. have you ever asked yourself why you need to tell others what you think? is it some insecurity you have about the past or your background?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

In NZ livestock numbers are 50% lower now than in the 70’s on 75% of the land base, in Ireland we’ve less stock on less land base too.

Methane is an issue and needs to be reduced, it’s 28 times more potent than CO2, but F gases are a bigger issue at 23,500 times CO2.

If they ever manage to get this sorted and up and running it will be a nice little earner for many farmers. Apparently its due to be good to go this year but my guess is mid 2023

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod:

This is a discussion forum, he's entitled to voice his opinion.

Just as you are entitled to completely ignore him.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭youllbemine

Yes FGases are an issue but that statement is misleading. SF6 which is used by the ESB at Substations etc has a high GWP but many FGas in use for refrigeration and air conditioning have GWPs of between 0 and 3,000.

There are also stringent regulations for their use and anyone who sells, uses or deals with them is certified or trained to minimize leakages.

Alternatives such as CO2, propane and very low GWP gases are coming on stream. I would imagine in 10 years time FGases will be uncommon just like Ozone Depletion Substances (ODS) have been virtually phased out since 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are three being constructed in a reasonably small area in north county dublin, that i'm aware of. they're meeting local resistance in some areas though.

Advertisement