Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Absolutely. We tend to screen out bad citizens in Ireland and put the seriously bad ones in prison. We don't however really screen anyone coming into the country, do we?

Well no EU or UK citizens anyway, they can come and go as they please. Don't even have to inform any authorities that they live here. Any visa applicants or asylum seekers, refugees do indeed get screened.

Whataboutery! Whatever other countries do in extending citizenship and rights to Irish people is a matter for that 'somewhere else'. This thread is about multiculturalism in Ireland.

you claimed Irish citizenship should be maintained for people Who have lived here for generations. So what about those that leave? You didn't answer the question, should their citizenship be taken away from them?

Again, once you detach yourself from the manifestos of the likes of Matthew Waine, you'll eventually come to understand that most people believe that a country should be the best for all of it's birthright citizens.

so, just citizens born to Irish citizens?

Mad idea isn't it? Imagine, a country whose government worked actively for the interests and welfare of it's citizens instead of pandering to globalist agendas.

I would prefer a country that works actively for the benefit of all persons living in that country.

Nah, an Irish birth certificate (genuine one, not forged) can suffice.

so, anyone with an Irish birth certificate is now Irish? So, not someone who has lived here for generations?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

”People who have lived here through thick and thin and made this country what it is today despite its ills”…

Of course you understand that every Irish citizen has a choice as to whether they wish to stay or emigrate in search of a better life for themselves and their families? I was faced with that same choice over 20 years ago, and I made the choice to stay rather than emigrate. It wasn’t out of some misguided notion of patriotism that I chose to stay, it was simply because I just didn’t fancy the idea of trying to settle in any other country. I figure a bit like yourself I could create a better life for myself here rather than elsewhere, and that same idea flows forward into ensuring that anyone coming here has every support they need to create a better life for themselves here when they’re trying to settle in what to them is another country.

You mentioned earlier based upon your calculations from a newspaper article written in 2019 that in 2018 the number of people deported in that year was 10. I did read the article, and it’s as all over the place as you are. They’re engaging in the same sort of fudging figures and definitions that it’s not surprising anyone reading it would come to the conclusion that there is little difference in law between asylum seekers and refugee status. There is though, and demonstrably so when I can present figures of the actual number of people who were refused entry beyond our borders and deported in 2018 -

Return

• 5,028 people were deported/removed from Ireland in 2018 including:
      • 4,797 persons refused entry into Ireland at ports of entry and returned to the place from where they had come.
      • 163  unsuccessful asylum applicants and irregular migrants who were deported.
      • 68 EU nationals returned to their countries of origin on foot of an EU Removal Order.
    • 213 people returned voluntarily of which 91 were assisted by the International Organization for Migration.
    • 22 asylum seekers were transferred under the Dublin Regulation to the EU Member State in which they first applied for asylum.

https://emn.ie/immigration-in-ireland-in-2018/

No control of our borders? No screening? I don’t think so! 🤔

As for the idea of voting rights being tied to citizenship, well even setting aside the fact that it’s fair to say there is little difference between asylum seekers and refugees in terms of their voting rights, the very idea of encouraging immigrants to obtain citizenship is precisely for the reasons you’re suggesting - that they establish roots here and are encouraged to participate in, and contribute to Irish society. It was indeed ironic when it was pointed out at the time that at the same time as Irish citizens were being asked to vote in a referendum on the legal status of immigrants in Ireland, asylum seekers and refugees were being granted the right to vote in local elections -

https://www.unhcr.org/en-ie/news/latest/2004/4/40925f804/ireland-grants-refugees-asylum-seekers-right-vote.html

20 years later and this country is still not even within an asses roar of being overrun by Sharia Law or any of the rest of your scaremongering nonsense. It’s gone in exactly the opposite direction of being in thrall to the craw-thumping fcukwits who demonised all sorts of groups in society and tried to ensure people remained ignorant by controlling every facet of Irish society from education and healthcare to welfare, and that was just the British Government! The Catholic Hierarchy took over the management of Ireland where the British left off.

Another poster earlier mentioned Paddy Pearse’s oration at the funeral of another member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, and it was in that context that he said he envisioned Ireland not just being Gael or free, not just being free or Gael, but being free and Gael, or rhetoric to that effect anyway. The point was to get the Irish people fired up for war. The attempt to whip people up into a frenzy worked at least; the rebellion not so much (‘‘twas over in a week, bar the shouting) -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_unfree_shall_never_be_at_peace

The Catholic Hierarchy still have plenty of influence and power in this country, and because of the influence of both European colonists spreading Christianity and the British Monarchs in particular spreading THEIR influence across the globe, your fearmongering about globalism I think it’s fair to say is rather outdated, but given it happened generations ago and you’ve assimilated accordingly, I don’t think your arguments have anything to do with promoting Irish culture or anything to do with democracy or anything else. You don’t appear to give a damn about Irish society or Irish people.

Unsurprisingly it simply comes down to self-preservation, and in order to maintain your position, you have to attempt to portray anyone else who doesn’t share your ideas, as an enemy of the people. That’s why you think anyone should care about some random YouTuber with an avatar of Enoch Powell presenting some local councillor in Finglas as representative of anything, or the article in a rag I wouldn’t wipe my arse with as representative of anything, and claim that’s why they poll poorly.

Surely by using that same logic, it stands to reason that you actually shouldn’t have any fears whatsoever about Sharia Law or overturning a Constitutional amendment any time soon? It follows from that then, that knowing you have nothing to fear, all you’re doing is fearmongering by telling people they should be careful what they wish for as if it should be interpreted as some sort of threat to democracy. The only person who wishes to deprive anyone of the opportunity to participate in democracy, is you (and a few others, to be fair), by depriving people of the right to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I am sure that this has been mentioned in the last few days but Ukrainian refugees are exactly the type of people we should be letting into the country and a proper use of our asylum system not the economic migrants posing as refugees who are only here to take our money which are clogging it up at the moment.

Aswell, the Ukrainian people are in danger specifically because the people want to be more liberal and western which means there should be less issues with cohesion within the host country unlike other cohorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Happy to see people in actual danger avail of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I'm just surprised to see so many women, children and elderly as refugees.

Isn't it completely normal nowadays (alleged by the media and NGOs) that the healthy, military aged men come and secure a safe place to stay and the women and children come after??

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Imagine if those healthy men of fighting age actually stayed and tried to fight to make their countries better...

As Homer Simpson said, "Can't someone else do it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Ukrainian men aged 18 to 60 are banned from leaving their country many of them may die fighting a war against Russia. But yeah you go right ahead and use this tragedy to try and score a racist point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

So you say that all those men that were supposedly coming from countries that are at war are not really coming from countries that are at war because countries that are at war actually do what Ukraine did?

What’s being said is that the explanation for the absence of men among refugees and asylum seekers in this instance, is that Ukraine has banned men from leaving the country.

There was nothing said about what other countries do or don’t do during war or at any other time. It was @Fandymo who was making the original comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

We don't see the bearded children phenomenon or videos of Ukrainian refugees throwing away their IDs and passports full of jollity...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Which countries banned 18-60 year old men from leaving? The country with the biggest number of migrants we have is Poland. As an EE migrant yourself, how do you feel about the Gemma O Doherty fans on here who specifically wish you to be out of the country and lament the fact that as a migrant you have contributed to the housing crisis amongst other things, according to their warped world view

In the grand scheme of things GO’D has about 100 “fans”. I’m sure no one give a fcuk what they think about anything. And I’ve never seen any of her fans on Boards.

pretty sure there is universal conscription in a lot of the Middle Eastern hotspots. never stopped the young men of fighting age leaving

McEntee's work on migrant rights has pushed her to the top of the list of contenders, with Harris, to replace Leo Varadkar should he get the heave due to the ongoing criminal investigation

Sure isn't that one of the pathetic excuses they use for leaving, that they'll be forced to fight if they stay.

Imagine calling someone pathetic because they don't want to go to war.

I cannot imagine saying something negative about a person like that.

"Ireland will put no limit on the number of refugees it will welcome from Ukraine, Mr Varadkar said, predicting the number could be in the thousands or tens of thousands" - Varadkar

Whilst I do have sympathy for these people fleeing war I can't help but see the disaster this would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Only a school teacher would say that. Let's take in 2 millions so.

Hopefully the conflict in the Ukraine does not last too long, allowing refugees to return to their homes as soon as they wish.

Hes also calling our neutrality into question, I could see this coming when they rushed us into PESCO

"The Government will not make any "knee-jerk response" to the crisis, however, and will consider its options carefully and allow a thorough debate in a country where the policy of neutrality has long been very popular"

Knowing these fellas there will be no "thorough debate" just like there hasn't been on migration...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

There's Ukrainians leaving Ireland to fight the Russian army, they've seen the 50 mile russian convoy n heading back all the same.

The Taliban took Kabul in their hi-aces n the only fighting done was lads fighting each other to get on the planes. Pathetic

The polish took c 1 million Ukraine refugees circa 2014/2015. lovely decent people, didnt bring crime, murder, mayhem, terrorism like the middle easterners at the same time, These are the refugees ireland should take, and if it means clearing out all the scam artists here over the last 20 years, so be it

Oh I know that, but we haven't a hope in heaven of sorting out a lot of issues here, housing etc whilst this is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,271 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

On this planet there have been around 10,000 deaths as a result of wars in the last year alone

There are around 18 armed conflicts on the planet on various scales.

Also, should we look too at famines in the Congo, South Sudan, Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger… over 100 million people impacted by these famines…. Repatriation of some of those people ?

we literally cannot solve these problems, we can do a ‘bit’ but we need to remain vigilant that we enable the wellbeing of taxpayers here…before anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,271 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Poland is approximately 312,685 sq km, in size.

Ireland is 84,000. sq km, in size.

rough figures that’s Poland 3 and a half times bigger then ourselves..

something with which to drive an economic recovery far more purposefully…look at this map….

you have to cut your cloth to meet your measure.

• Advertisement

And do you not think that the majority of refugees will go to Poland?

Advertisement